Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is it really worth buying a real estate?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And between your legs, I might add.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #42

Quote:

the fact is that as long as the demand exceeds the supply, (Bay Area of Calif. for instance), there may be periods of flatness, but the general trend will exceed most of the country. (Of course a major earthquake would have an unsettling effect)
Let's assume that an earthquake will never happen. Is it still a good idea to buy properties in the Bay Area, Southern Cal or Las Vegas? The demand is still growing!

Old 01-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #43

Hi Spanky. I wouldn't do it, even if I had the money.

JG
Old 01-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #44

Quote:

Let's assume that an earthquake will never happen. Is it still a good idea to buy properties in the Bay Area, Southern Cal or Las Vegas? The demand is still growing!
Spanky: Actually, Las Vegas is still not near as expensive as any place in the coastal areas of Calif.
The coastal area of Calif., generally stretching from San Francisco to San Diego (about 500 miles of heavy population, and finding a nice home for less than $l,000,000.00 is no easy chore.)

In the Bay area, San Francisco, San Jose (Silicone Valley), It is possible to buy inland with a very long commute and find something in the $400,000 range.
(But that would take you out to the Antioch area, and would be an hour and a half commute to San Jose, or San Francisco). For your money, you'd get a home that would be in the area of 1500 Sq. feet.

A closer commute to San Francisco, (Walnut Creek, Concord etc. that home would run in the $700,000.00 range.
I am a native Californian, but always lived either in the mountains(currently), or Inland prior to retiring. Our values would be high compared to most of the country, but the coastal area of Calif. is in a class by itself.
Where the prices go from here, (I thought they had topped out a year ago, and had another huge increase
in 04), who knows.
Living like that is not for me, but for a young person that finds theirselves with a large income in that area, and plenty of time would probably be alright. (But you'd have to really hold your nose)

Old 01-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #45

Quote:

In the Bay area, San Francisco, San Jose (Silicone Valley), It is possible to buy inland with a very long commute and find something in the $400,000 range.
(But that would take you out to the Antioch area, and would be an hour and a half commute to San Jose, or San Francisco). For your money, you'd get a home that would be in the area of 1500 Sq. feet.
Hi ex-Jarhead,

Thanks for the info. I did look at some properties in the Constra Consta County area while I was visiting my parents in Oakland during Xmas holidays. As you say, you can get a decent size (1600 sq. ft) house for about $400K to $500K in Antioch, Napa, Vacaville area. The commute is long to work if you have to travel to San Francisco or Silicon Valley, but it is not a concern since we do not plan to work. I really like the weather and the promixity to my parents, brothers, sisters, Chinese restaurants and grocery stores.

Spanky

Old 01-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #46

Quote:

Hi ex-Jarhead,

Thanks for the info. I did look at some properties in the Constra Consta County area while I was visiting my parents in Oakland during Xmas holidays. As you say, you can get a decent size (1600 sq. ft) house for about $400K to $500K in Antioch, Napa, Vacaville area. The commute is long to work if you have to travel to San Francisco or Silicon Valley, but it is not a concern since we do not plan to work. I really like the weather and the promixity to my parents, brothers, sisters, Chinese restaurants and grocery stores.

Spanky
Spanky: Not to beat this point to death, but if commuting is not a problem, you might check out the Vallejo area. It is closer to San Francisco, Oakland (where your parents live).
Here's the advantage, weather-wise. The areas that you mentioned get very hot in the summer. (Not the high humidity hot like a lot of areas in the country, but hot).
Vallejo is close enough to the Bay to give you very mild summers. As far as I know, the property values would be very close to what we were talking about. (Weather is about as close to perfect as one could hope for.).
In any case, I have lived in California all my life, and if you can afford the initial buy-in, I'm sure you'll thrive out here.
Regards, Jarhead
Old 01-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Vallejo is close enough to the Bay to give you very mild summers. As far as I know, the property values would be very close to what we were talking about. (Weather is about as close to perfect as one could hope for.).
Regards, Jarhead
Jarhead,

Thanks. I will look into that.

Spanky
Old 01-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #48

Hello Chuck-Lyn. Headed your way in about a week.

I missed your Dec. 30 post ("what's between your legs").
I thought about using that same line but then
decided a reference to cojones might offend someone's
delicate sensibilities, and you know what a sensitive
Alan Alda type I am

Give my best wishes to Up-Chuck for 2005...................

JG
Old 01-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #49

JG, last I heard Up-Chuck fled to Canada after the
election.

Cheers,

Charlie

« nm | Stock ? »