Join Early Retirement Today

Is it really worth buying a real estate?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is it really worth buying a real estate?

As we know in many areas of the United States real estate has skyrocketed over the last 5 years or so. I believe the reasons are:

1. people need a place to live
2. low mortgage rates make the monthly payment affordable.
3. money is becoming cheap due to the deprecation of the dollar and people want something tangible.

Alot of people say real estate is a great investment and over the years this has proven to be true.

My question is from today going forward

Is real estate really a good investment?
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is it really worth buying a real estate?
Old 11-14-2004, 01:15 AM   #2

"Is real estate really a good investment?" Assuming you are not just kidding around, the short answer is YES

John Galt
Old 11-14-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The slightly longer answer is that real estate is a good investment in some areas of the country, but a bad investment in others.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:51 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you think that interest rates are going to increase consider very carefully what effect increased interest rates would have on your real estate investment. That being said I will probably be buying a small investment property in the next year.

Bruce
Old 11-14-2004, 06:00 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The slightly longer answer is that real estate is a good investment in some areas of the country, but a bad investment in others.
I tend to agree with Michael's response. I can not see purchasing in Long Island or New Jersey where prices have at least doubled and taxes can be 15k per year.
These and other markets have gotten way out of hand and I do not see anymore upside. Interest rate increases and job losses can create more supply than demand and a decrease in value. If I owned a home there I would be a seller now not a buyer. That would really strengthen your nest egg for retirement.

Areas in the midwest and others that have not appreciated much if any I see as good values
Old 11-14-2004, 06:20 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[quote]

I tend to agree with Michael's response. I can not see purchasing in Long Island or New Jersey where prices have at least doubled and taxes can be 15k per year

Gtm: Assume you live in New Jersey, Long Island area.

My wife years ago used to live in Long Island.

Just curious, as I have heard horror stories about the property taxes there. What market value would a home be trigger off a $15,000.00 tax bill?

Regards

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Jarhead I am more familiar with Jersey.

15,000 in taxes
A home in an area without much industry to generate revenue and a good school system may sell for 650-750k and have alittle property.
These are owned by working people many professional but not big earners.

I assume Long Island is similiar.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Areas in the midwest and others that have not appreciated much if any I see as good values
You need to think about why some areas have appreciated more and many/most areas have stagnated or fallen. In those areas that you consider good value do they have a net inflow or outflow of people? If there is a net inflow is there so much raw land to build new houses that isn't much different from what is currently built on?

In pretty much all of the places that have risen in value there is usually a net inflow of people. If there isn't a net inflow it's because there is no new housing available while there still is demand for being let in (e.g. some high end California beach communities). These areas also usually have limits to development that make new places significantly worse than existing development (geographic barriers that force you to be far from the current centre, land use restrictions, only inferior quality land left, etc.).

For example, in Silicon Valley, despite the tech down turn, there still is a net inflow of people. There are multiple barriers to new development. There is some regulatory restrictions (land set aside for parks/green spaces by the cities and counties). There are geographic barriers such that if you go much further than the current edge you have to go over mountain ranges in some directions. There are traffic restrictions that make people want to live within a certain distance of the centre to avoid spending all day in the car (and there is no real public transit to alleviate that). What land that is left near the centre is in general sub-standard - it's old chip fab plants (with associated pollution concerns) or little triangles of land next to highway on-ramps.

That's not to say that land here will go up forever - it can't and hasn't. But there are enough factors to keep it moving up over the longer run. What's going to change to make the value of land in Nowheresville, Someflyover State increase?
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I think a big reason some areas have appreciated at a greater rate than others is because people want to live in a nice area and still be close to their jobs.

Those who live in New York surburbs live there because they work in Manhattan. Families cannot or do not wish to live in Manhattan apartments so they choose the surburbs. (not that Manhattan apartments are cheap, they are more expensive).

Jobs are leaving New York, some to other states, some overseas.
If you are no longer working in Manhattan making big bucks a 650k home is Long Island with annual propery taxes as much as a Toyota Corolla may not be very attractive anymore. And tax write off's wont help if you do not have sufficient income.

My opinion
Old 11-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #10

If I owned a home there I would be a seller now not a buyer. That would really strengthen your nest egg for retirement.

Then where would you live? Would you move into a rental, waiting for the market to even out? Would you buy a cheaper place further out and have a longer daily commute into work? Looking for some ideas since I'm facing just this very decision right now.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Bill, I would rent.

For less than $1000 a month I can rent more than I need.

No property taxes, no water bills, no insurance, no home maintenance, no mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.
I would not buy further out, I would not commute.

But I am single and I only plan on being in the area for another couple of years. Someone who has a big family and plans on working in the same place for a long while may have a different viewpoint.

I do believe the market will come down in the areas that appreciated at the speed of light so taking the money now may be suitable regardless of ones situation.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Personally, real estate is one of my favorite invesments, has added more to our future ER ability than anything else and will remain a part time business in ER.

If you are handy in the least, and have some motivation, a significant amount can be made in remodeling properties for resale. We look for repo properties, or properties that need some cosmetic work, redo and sell them after 1 year of ownership. (Take the long term cap gain instead of the added expense of a 1031.) Most of the first time buyers today are too lazy to purchase a property that needs a little "elbow grease." They would rather pay much more and make the monthly payment.

This assumes you want to work on a property. If you repeat this model and you live in the property, after two years you can seel the property and take a gain of up to 250/500K tax free (single/married.) Buy another property and repeat in two years.

We started small with a small commercial property that a non profit needed to sell quickly as they were winding the non profit down. (About 4 years ago.) We originally were going to rent the property (wanted the recurring income) but instead sold the property in six months and made 20K after expenses for no work. (This property needed no work. All we did was sign on the dotted line for a loan. Profit is after all expenses.) We were hooked.

We now have several realtors that watch for properties for us and are invested in several properties. (Although most of the good properties we have found on our own.)

Further, one of the items that a FICO score takes into consideration is the TYPE of debt you have. Real Estate debt, demonstrating ownership of real estate, can significantly improve your credit score. (Balanced with other FICO score affecting factors.)

It takes a lot of analysis and homework to find a winning property. But, in a bizarre way, I find the work to be fun and quite a change from my normal work. I consider it a part time job.

Although I'm sure it isn't for everyone, it works for me.

Best wishes,

TheBacchus
Old 11-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Most of the first time buyers today are too lazy to purchase a property that needs a little "elbow grease." They would rather pay much more and make the monthly payment. *
Quote:
It takes a lot of analysis and homework to find a winning property. But, in a bizarre way, I find the work to be fun and quite a change from my normal work. I consider it a part time job.
Don't underestimate the amount of skill, talent, know-how, tools, time etc. to do what you do.

I would not leap to the conclusion that first time buyers are too lazy :
Old 11-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Don't underestimate the amount of skill, talent, know-how, tools, time etc. to do what you do.

I would not leap to the conclusion that first time buyers are too lazy :
Time is an important factor. I used to underestimate the amount of time a project would take me. Experience certainly helps. This is not nuclear/rocket science. * But it still has to be something you want to do.

As to first time buyers: while this might not be true of all first time buyers, discussion with *busy realtors in your area will give you an idea of what buyers are like and what they expect. In our area they tend to be lazy/entiltled and many will not buy a property unless everything is perfect. Works well for those of us who are willing to do the "dirty work." *

Like I said, might not work for all, but works for us.

-TB
Old 11-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
In our area they tend to be lazy/entiltled
This is absolute Crappola! - This is the kind of thinking that drives racism! - People in Your area are like people everywhere.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #16

Hey Cut-Throat! Spoken like a true liberal.....................
thebacchus made not even an oblique reference to race
and yet you get all out of sorts and shout "Racism"!
It would be pretty funny if there were not so many of you running around out there. And, I can assure you that people in his area are not "like people everywhere".
That's the kind of thinking that drives liberal PC
"crappola"

John Galt

Old 11-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
That's the kind of thinking that drives liberal PC
"crappola" *
You mean liberal stuff like the Emancipation proclamation?

After all, you say you would have done just fine the way things were 150 years ago. As long as you were White and Male. Then the 'Liberals' got in the way and gave everyone equal rights!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #18

Hey Cut-Throat....Glad you brought that up as that is
one more thing
I intend to repeal when I take over

John Galt
Old 11-15-2004, 05:07 AM   #19

Quote:

This is absolute Crappola! - This is the kind of thinking that drives racism! - People in Your area are like people everywhere.
Cutthroat:

Let's see, you posted this at 7:00 PM. Cocktail hour at 6:00. PM. Hell, I understand

Regards, Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Jobs are leaving New York, some to other states, some overseas.
If you are no longer working in Manhattan making big bucks a 650k home is Long Island with annual propery taxes as much as a Toyota Corolla may not be very attractive anymore. And tax write off's wont help if you do not have sufficient income.

My opinion
Ok, so you might have a reason that you think will cause housing prices to go down in New York. *Why do you also think that they will go up in somewhere else? *Much of the real estate in much of the US just keeps up with inflation (or at least the land does - the buildings depreciate) unless there is some factor that is in demand - i.e. lakefront or oceanfront property. *I wouldn't want to be buying some house in a big flat town in the praries and then be expecting to make money off the appreciation when it's just too easy to go another 300 feet and plunk down another new house. *If you're buying it to live in the small town that's one thing or you expect to make money off the rental income but making money off the appreciation?
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote

« nm | Stock ? »