Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
There was a woman vet student and her husband on a House Hunters International show in St. Kitts. The husband had quit his job to join his wife and was living off her student loan money, too, and they ended up living in a nice large house. It was not the kind of place college students usually live in for sure. All their expenses were being covered by vet school on loan money. The husband was kicking back and spending his days at the beach while she was in school.

It seemed financially crazy at the time and that was before I read this article.
I saw that show also. All I could think was I hate to see how much they owe in students loans when this adventure is over.

utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
This just speaks to me about the lack of what I will call "lifetime financial education planning" available to people in general and young people in particular. I was either fortunate or lucky to have been taught by my parents the dangers of debt and to have a plan for repaying it before entering into it - and even I had a few mistakes and needed to be embarrassed for the lesson to sink in.
As I think has been mentioned before in these forums, financial literacy should be taught as a subject in schools. We were taught Economics in high school in the UK, but IIRC, it didn't include personal finance.

Even if it is included in a school curriculum, there's only so much you can do to contain the consequences of youthful bravado and recklessness. I was in debt myself for many years, but I never defaulted, and did pay my way out of it eventually.

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
I know these kids are "adults", but where were their parents and their advise while these loans/bills were being run up? Or is it everyone is so proud that they are going to college...and the outcome does not matter?
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It makes me wonder who on earth is getting the proceeds of those $5,000 veterinary bills we keep hearing about on this forum, if not the veterinarians.

The proceeds going to Animal Hospital chains like this: VCA Antech Inc., WOOF Stock Quote - (NASDAQ) WOOF, VCA Antech Inc. Stock Price . I think they pay a lot , but also generally locate in affluent areas, and preasure the vet's on staff to upsell a lot of un-needed services.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I know these kids are "adults", but where were their parents and their advise while these loans/bills were being run up? Or is it everyone is so proud that they are going to college...and the outcome does not matter?
Parents are very gullible to the "hype" from higher institutions of learning these days. Schools are still able to convince them with the statistic that more college degrees practically guarantees higher income - but colleges never drill down to which specific degrees are the ones that make a real difference.

in addition, parents tend to be more protective of their kids these days, and somehow giving a child a "dose of reality" when it comes to college and careers is seen as a "cruel" thing to do.
Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
While there is intense completion among domestic animal veterinarians because of the oversupply of graduates, there is a real shortage of large animal vets in rural areas. First, most vet students do not go into the large animal field, and second, the ones that do are often hired by the big agriculture companies. This also appears tied to fewer people growing up on farms and even knowing what a large animal vet does. Some states are offering to help pay for the educations of large animal vets if they promise to practice in a rural area. Here are two links Shortage of Large Animal Veterinarians - Hot Topics/Problems in the Equine Industry Farm Animal Vets in High Demand | News, Sports, Weather for Great Falls, Helena, and all of Montana | Local Top Stories
Unless one gets one of the jobs with the big companies it appears that country vets do not make enough to justify even the domestic student loan amount (in state about 150k). Recall that in the large animal area its a business and when a cow might bring in at most $3 per pound, and you have a 1k pound cow you got 3000 to raise it and pay overhead, its not clear how much you could afford to spend on vet bills, in any case the more elaborate proceedures that have been transplanted from humans to animals (companion animals in particular) would be out of the price range. The same applies to pigs btw that the price gotten does not justify much vet care.
Thus a report from the AVMA says that due to the business issue large animal vets in private practice can't make a go of it.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The US military also hires veterinarians, though the number isn't high. They frequently are responsible for doing food safety inspections and other industrial hygiene duties in addition to animal care (the MP working dogs, etc) and sometimes they do VETCAP missions in remote countries. Patching up a villager's cow buys a tremendous amount of goodwill and makes a real difference in the quality of life for an entire rural family.
I would be surprised if there's not a program to pay for vet school for those willing to go this route.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote