Is it time to tell the Saudis to drink their oil?

This post is a great example of why the US will always be leading user of oil per capita in the world.

Agreed, we have a long way to go on this one.

there are still so many people in the US driving large SUV's for safety sake when they could probably be just as safe in a smaller vehicle getting much better gas mileage. I live in Dallas, Texas and you see many people driving trucks (probably more trucks in Texas than any other state) and I can't imagine that many of them actually use their truck for anything other than transportation (i.e. they don't need them for their job or rarely haul anything). It's an image thing here.

A few years ago I heard the stat that 82% of trucks were used primarily for commuter (non-truck) type purposes.

The irony on the SUV thing is that many of these 'safe' SUVs are at highest risk for rollover accidents. :p

Ha, your argument is straight from the economists' Tragedy of the Commons. Still, I'm not sure why you thought the car posters (if they are to whom you're referring) are tongue-in-cheek. I am keeping my ultra-safe Saab for three reasons: 1.) dumping a functioning car and buying any new car is a waste of $ far outweighing any actual fuel savings; 2.) I know the fuel that went into making either the old or the new car is not reflected in its price; 3.) I drive very little. If I drove a lot in the city I would buy a Smart in a heartbeat. Easier parking for me!

As for the obsession with big cars, I came across this, which is more sad than funny:
Crooks and Liars » Batsh*t Crazy “HUMMER” commercial
No indication of how you're s'posed to fuel the damn 9mpg thing after the first tankful (assuming you keep a full tank), during a disaster, possibly partially exacerbated by.. this very product!

You're right, though, in that I keep the thermostat at 68. I'm not a personal martyr to the conservation cause and spend freely to maintain my middle-class lifestyle. No hair shirts in my closet, but I do see the "inconvenient" writing on the wall.

The only way to wean ourselves off an ever-dwindling (but still currently widely available) resource is to make it such that we personally have something to gain by restricting our individual consumption. That could happen (sooner) via taxes or (later) via real shortages and huge price hikes to the point where many will decide to, or be forced to, commute on bikes and/or on foot and/or demand the expansion of public transportation and the opening of the highways to horse-drawn traffic.

Our having 'found' the utility of non-renewable fuels created the Industrial Revolution and all the subsequent luxuries we now enjoy in large numbers. One used to have to have dozens of human slaves or serfs to produce the work of a few gallons of oil, so there our luxuries got democratized as well.

It's like a farmer who finds a huge boulder of gold on his land and quits farming and spends the gold to outfit himself and his family in grand style and enriches the town via his purchases. What happens to the farmer and the town when the gold runs out? We will, I imagine, be back to farming with a horse and plow.. having to learn all over again how to survive. Maybe not you and me, and maybe not even your grandkids or their kids.. but still.. either that or we will go nuclear and just live with the toxic waste and radiation, kind of like an alcoholic drinking mouthwash and cleaning fluid when there's no Dom Perignon. ;-)

That said, the recent Bush ME "meeting" was an embarrassing hit&run affair with contempt written all over it. No surprise there, unfortunately.

Re: the Arabs.. I used to think it was even more improbable for them to be constructing financial centers in the middle of the desert as it was for "us" to sustain Las Vegas. I am seeing this in a whole new light now.. I think the Arabs are, for all their 'backwardness', incredibly far-sighted in this. When oil becomes really tight, the center of the universe will no longer be NYC or London. I think Bush is keen to ingratiate himself and his buds with the "less-roguish" elements in which he may envision a stake for him and his, while demonizing elements further from his control or interests.

To the extent that the Israelis are a helpful hedge against "rogue" elements like Iran, Bush will promote their cause. But the Saudis are a horse of a different color. They make the Bible illegal to possess and remain unchastised in the eyes of our Christian Leader; ya gotta ask yourselves why. (They are the top oil producer; we are the top oil consumer. Simple, really).

I don't want to foment any religious backlash either way, nor am I a super-Xtian, but here even a UK flight attendant is prohibited from taking her Bible with her on flights to the Saudi kingdom:
UK Foreign Office supports Saudi Bible ban

Belongs in the thread about parental financial aphorisms, but I remember my mom talking about "knowing which side your bread is buttered on." In food as in life, grease is king.

Redbugdave, the Arabs may be diversifying, but I wonder about the extent to which that is effectively happening. Why risk investing in what people do with the raw materials you supply, when you are sitting on a large part of their supply/fix, which is a given? That they may be investing in shipping (also remember the Dubai/ports brouhaha last year?) is unsurprising and hardly diversification since the ships don't sail w/o oil to fuel them, nor does the oil arrive w/o ships. Seems more of a vertical play, there.

more chuckles:
Crooks and Liars » Rudy Giuliani Does Business With Sheik Who Helped 9/11 Mastermind Elude FBI

Last edited:
A few years ago I heard the stat that 82% of trucks were used primarily for commuter (non-truck) type purposes.

Come on, you don't want those soccer moms screaming obscenities on their cell phones to their husbands when they get stuck in half an inch of snow, do you?

The irony on the SUV thing is that many of these 'safe' SUVs are at highest risk for rollover accidents. :p

I would rather be in a car in a rollover than an SUV.......the car might have 2-3 less rolls...........:eek:

I know there's a large difference in degree, but anyone notice the similarity between events like the OP brought up and events like this?
Do you mean the fact that they happen, or the apparent rise in media reporting on these events as they struggle to obtain "real" news, or the impression that the OP doesn't seem to be able to contribute anything else besides these types of "OMG!!!" sky-is-falling headlines?

Remember when we used to just [-]not respond to[/-] ask Cut-Throat if this was a cocktail-hour post and then move on to other threads?

Do you mean the fact that they happen, or the apparent rise in media reporting on these events as they struggle to obtain "real" news, or the impression that the OP doesn't seem to be able to contribute anything else besides these types of "OMG!!!" sky-is-falling headlines?

Which is why I continue to call him "Chicken Little", that title was earned...........:D

This idiotic crap is why I didn't and wouldn't ever send a child to a public school. Take the bureaucratic mindset, marry it to weird US Puritanism, leaven with the quality of teachers and administration you might find in a public school-all this says to me that no one should be subjected to it, least of all anyone you care about.

Growing up in America is learning to deal with societal schizophrenia. I think it's best if the full nuttiness can be hidden from a child until he/she is old enough to laugh at it, while still keeping his/her flank protected.

Ha

Which is why I continue to call him "Chicken Little", that title was earned...........:D

Whatever, but his posts do have content. No small achievement IMO. If I hadn't read this story, I would have appreciated seeing it here. Reading it you do find out something about the world. Is that true of all other threads/posts on this board?

Anyway, NewGuy shares some of my attitudes which I am forced to keep quiet about in daily life, lest I find myself relegated to category of weird old man. Therefore he is a vicarious outlet for me, while for some he presents an opportunity to demonstrate your superior sensitivity and awesome PC chops. So we should all give thanks for his posts. :)

Ha

anyone notice the similarity between events like the OP brought up and

My point was this: when we hear about a story of a woman in trouble with the law because she did something as innocent as name a stuffed animal "Mohammed," we think "Oh, something like that could never happen in our enlightened country." But there are some extreme people here, and things similar to that do occur. That 17-year-old was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Whatever, but his posts do have content. No small achievement IMO. If I hadn't read this story, I would have appreciated seeing it here. Reading it you do find out something about the world. Is that true of all other threads/posts on this board?

So, it is done for effect? :eek::D

Anyway, NewGuy shares some of my attitudes which I am forced to keep quiet about in daily life, lest I find myself relegated to category of weird old man. Therefore he is a vicarious outlet for me, while for some he presents an opportunity to demonstrate your superior sensitivity and awesome PC chops. So we should all give thanks for his posts. :)

I like it when he presents his case, not some mantra about how much he hates Bush, which is well documented. Come to think of it, I like reading logic whether I agree with it or not...........;)

When you think of New Guy, think of Walter Matthau only in much better physical condition. It will be more entertaining that way. :)

Ha

When you think of New Guy, think of Walter Matthau only in much better physical condition. It will be more entertaining that way. :)

Ha

Ok...........I understand it now...........;)

Ha

Now I'm confused. I thought that when we think of New Guy, we were supposed to think of boo boo bear...... Or was that someone else?

Now I'm confused. I thought that when we think of New Guy, we were supposed to think of boo boo bear...... Or was that someone else?

I think it's another of his personalities........;)

Ha

Thank you Ha

The bottom line here is this #1 I have never been disrespectful to anyone here on the forum. The booboobear issue was because I used a new computer and had issues with logging on at the time. Done ..

Now I have even enjoyed reading EVERYTHING HERE on the FORUM! Yes even the posts that seem to attack me. Nords and others who feel what I have to say is easy to attack then put me on ignore is well telling. I gave Nords bigtime Props for his service to the country, his great ideas about getting out of the rat race early. But because I would go off at times on rants that well DID and DO make sense well I am sorry that a well respected person would feel so strongly against things I post.

I think this thread says a bunch of stuff. I bellieve that with my pension and part time easy work there really is no additional need for me to discuss financial issues here on the board. So I bring up issues that are well hot buttoned . I am being called walter mattau? I like that HAHA!! Again hey I believe its all in fun. Chicken little? Whoa, I was near the WTC on 9/11, saw the whole messy day and months of death and destruction, but AFRAID? afraid of what? I grew up in the Bronx worked 30 years in a bad inner city neighborhood. Sky is falling stuff? Really? Look at our housing market.Bin Laden al zwahiri Al qeada animals that do not scare me. I am annoyed that we have a population that would rather shop and waste gasoline then find and kill the people responsible for 9/11.

Kinda like the Teacher in the Sudan that was given 15 days in prison today for having one of the kids name a teddy bear mohammed. Sorry gang all the money you have in 401 Ks Pensions and other stuff will mean zip if we do not find a way to stop the extremists who would kill all in the name of that Mohammed.

Keep sending all of our oil dollars to the people who hate us. Hows it working for the country? If we taxed gasoline right after 9/11 when the price hit .89 cents a gallon in december of 01 we would have made astatement to the Saudis that we were sick of the wahbbi ideals. That we would rather get out of wasteful SUVs and pickup trucks and keep our money HERE in the states. But nope we were told to go SHOPPING!
Geesh!

Oh and yes AL this awful issue..

Genarlow Wilson’s life on the mend, but system is still broken

Is a crime here in america. I spent 30 years in a black school district. I have had to bail out students for issues that white students would never be put in jail for in the first place.

Not good anyway you look at it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom