Join Early Retirement Today

Is it time to tell the Saudis to drink their oil?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
gone traveling

Is it time to tell the Saudis to drink their oil?

After the treatment of that women who was raped then sentenced to 200 lashings I believe all in the free world should find a way to stop using Saudi Oil.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
After the treatment of that women who was raped then sentenced to 200 lashings I believe all in the free world should find a way to stop using Saudi Oil.
We can start by using less oil by driving smaller more fuel efficient cars. It just makes no sense to me to be driving gas guzzling cars that ultimately end up giving our money back to the arab nations which then use the money to shoot us:confused:
Answer to obvious question=its a Yaris
Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We can start by using less oil by driving smaller more fuel efficient cars. It just makes no sense to me to be driving gas guzzling cars that ultimately end up giving our money back to the arab nations which then use the money to shoot us:confused:
Answer to obvious question=its a Yaris
I'd actually drive a Yaris and will probably try to buy something like it when I buy my next car, but how many people out there (be honest now!) would be too embarrassed to drive a small vehicle like the Yaris? Sometimes I think that Americans are just a little too image conscious to be more fuel efficient...just my opinion though.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I'd actually drive a Yaris and will probably try to buy something like it when I buy my next car, but how many people out there (be honest now!) would be too embarrassed to drive a small vehicle like the Yaris? Sometimes I think that Americans are just a little too image conscious to be more fuel efficient...just my opinion though.
So, you're saying you're waiting until later to get a fuel efficient car?

Yeah....yeah..... know what ya mean. Those "other Americans" are too embarrassed to drive a fuel efficient car and are just a little too image conscious. But ME....yeah.....yeah.....I'll get one next time!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
So, you're saying you're waiting until later to get a fuel efficient car?

Yeah....yeah..... know what ya mean. Those "other Americans" are too embarrassed to drive a fuel efficient car and are just a little too image conscious. But ME....yeah.....yeah.....I'll get one next time!
I'm driving a 6 year old car that gets 28-30 mpg, so I'm not exactly a gas hog...and my last car before this one was a 1985 Honda Civic with a 1.3 liter engine that got 35-40 mpg. So I don't feel as though I have a double standard, as you imply.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I don't feel as though I have a double standard, as you imply.
Excellent! Glad to hear you're "walking the walk DallasGuy!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that these last posts are actually tongue in cheek, but on the chance that they are not, I would like to add my POV.

I feel that for any of us to unilaterally try to cut down on oil usage for any reason other than to save money is nuts. It's like not wanting to fly to control your carbon footprint. What BS! My carbon footprint is miniscule already, and if it weren't I wouldn't care. Let some hypocrite like AL Gore control his first.

As for those tiny cars, no thanks! I drive a compact, but if I could afford an Audi S-8, I'd be driving one of them.

I've been in a head on crash at speed-hit by a drunk-and I will never drive or ride in anything smaller that the car that enabled me to survive that.

If all this stuff is important, it needs to be tackled on a worldwide political basis. There are a lot of things one can do by himself, but saving the world is not one of them.

How stupid would you feel if you became paraplegic from an accident in a Yaris, knowing that your senator is flying around the world on some boondoggle? Or if your wife or girlfriend or date was killed in your car, because you wanted to unilaterally save the world by saving petroleum?

What is all the money we saved for, if not to make our lives and our loved ones' lives safer and more pleasant?

Besides, I am still loaded with oil industry plays, so get out and burn those hydrocarbons! Old Ha needs it! How else am I going to get my S-8?

Ha
Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I suspect that these last posts are actually tongue in cheek, but on the chance that they are not, I would like to add my POV.

I feel that for any of us to unilaterally try to cut down on oil usage for any reason other than to save money is nuts. It's like not wanting to fly to control your carbon footprint. What BS! My carbon footprint is miniscule already, and if it weren't I wouldn't care. Let some hypocrite like AL Gore control his first.

As for those tiny cars, no thanks! I drive a compact, but if I could afford an Audi S-8, I'd be driving one of them.

I've been in a head on crash at speed-hit by a drunk-and I will never drive or ride in anything smaller that the car that enabled me to survive that.

If all this stuff is important, it needs to be tackled on a worldwide political basis. There are a lot of things one can do by himself, but saving the world is not one of them.

How stupid would you feel if you became paraplegic from an accident in a Yaris, knowing that your senator is flying around the world on some boondoggle? Or if your wife or girlfriend or date was killed in your car, because you wanted to unilaterally save the world by saving petroleum?

What is all the money we saved for, if not to make our lives and our loved ones' lives safer and more pleasant?

Besides, I am still loaded with oil industry plays, so get out and burn those hydrocarbons! Old Ha needs it! How else am I going to get my S-8?

Ha
HA

Damn You make so much sense in that post. Been driving small cars forever just because I was a cheap bastard. Simple. But when you put it that way and the past 11 months driving small cars down here in North Carolina with bad two lane roads I am starting to look at a well a little bigger vehicle.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #9

I think the original post"s intent was for us to get rid of our dependence on Arabian oil,my suggestion to drive more fuel efficient cars would be one possible option.
Wonder what would happen to one of those new Smart Cars if it ran into a brick wall at 70mph?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #10

Wow, that Smart Car is amazing. I wonder what some big honest American Iron would look like after a test like that.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I suspect the same...........

Quote:
Are not folks who pay $100 to fill up their SUV "paying the piper"? Al Gore is a hypocrite on global warming, considering his 40,000 square foot mansion probably used as much energy as 50 homes of the folks on here.............

Quote:

I made a conscious decision to drive a smaller car two years ago, and it wasn't about affordability. I got rid of my SUV and bought a Honda Accord. I made sure the Honda has good crash tests and was new enough to have side airbags. Most bad and fatal car accidents I hear about involve drivers NOT wearing their seat belt, not the "dump truck crushed the small car" syndrome.

BTW, the S-8 is a SWEET car.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think the original post"s intent was for us to get rid of our dependence on Arabian oil,my suggestion to drive more fuel efficient cars would be one possible option.
Wonder what would happen to one of those new Smart Cars if it ran into a brick wall at 70mph?
I'm not sure you can really say there is anything such as 'Arabian Oil' on the market. All oil from all sources flows in to make up the total market for oil. If we decrease world-wide demand for oil by 10%, there will be 10% less demand for 'all oil', and 'Arabian Oil' makes up a share of that 'all oil'. Drop oil usage to ZERO and THEN there would be no demand for 'Arabian Oil'.

It would be a bit like going to the bank and asking for a $100 cash withdraw as five $20 bills - but don't give me any $20's that have been used in drug sales, I don't support illegal drug sales. It all flows together.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with others on the risk of small cars. It's not only how they fare against a brick wall, but how a 2,000 pound car fares against a 4,000 pound car. Physics. I lean towards the fuel efficient models, but I won't go too extreme for something I need to drive on the roads here. I'm not going to risk me or my family over a few miles per gallon. As much as I cringe when I see those big old Hummers go by, I try to control my feelings. Maybe the guy that bought it did it to protect his family? Maybe he only drives it 3,000 miles/year - so maybe I'm using more gas than he is? Maybe he actually needs a big vehicle for his work? So I try not to be too judgmental - but it ain't easy.

-ERD50

And you all thought I was going to add to the comments on Al Gore! - Fooled Ya! Others did a fine job - carry on!
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #13

Importation spread sheet U.S. Total Crude Oil and Products Imports
Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
As much as I cringe when I see those big old Hummers go by, I try to control my feelings. Maybe the guy that bought it did it to protect his family? Maybe he only drives it 3,000 miles/year - so maybe I'm using more gas than he is? Maybe he actually needs a big vehicle for his work? So I try not to be too judgmental - but it ain't easy.
I know the GM at the local Hummer dealer. He said there's two kinds of customers for Hummers:

1)Those "compensating" for a lack of something.

2)Those that are convinced the largest vehicle you can buy MUST be the safest.

Sounds like GM used greed to market it, which worked, although Hummer sales are down almost 50% since two years ago.........

Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #15

The way I understand it, she was given that punishment for being outside her house (in a car) with someone who was not a male relative, not for being raped.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The way I understand it, she was given that punishment for being outside her house (in a car) with someone who was not a male relative, not for being raped.

Mike D.
That makes what happened better?

Look there is something terribly wrong with a society that treats women like the Saudi society does.

What do these arab men in saudi arabia fear from women?

All of the BS that we hear, its their right their society. Bull they treat women as second class citizens. The society is wrong on that level. Now the world should stand up and pressure these people into changing the behavior. Right?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #17

Quote:
That makes what happened better?
No, and I'm glad that I didn't say that it did.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
No, and I'm glad that I didn't say that it did.

Mike D.

Again why are americans blind to the saudis? 15 of the 19 hijackers were saudis. Bush continues to say what wonderful people they are and then this behavior continues. Then the price of oil has the madrasas fully funded with wahabi wackos telling their young boys to well hate Jews and americans. This cannot be good for the world.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again why are americans blind to the saudis?
For political reasons, not that it's right. And it's not Bush, US presidents for years have catered to the Saudi royal families.

Quote:
15 of the 19 hijackers were saudis.
Don't know your logic here. Al Queda cells are in Saudi Arabia, and Bin Laden is a Saudi, so he recruited them.........

Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
For political reasons, not that it's right. And it's not Bush, US presidents for years have catered to the Saudi royal families.

Don't know your logic here. Al Queda cells are in Saudi Arabia, and Bin Laden is a Saudi, so he recruited them.........
As you stated Not that it's right.....

I would put a two or three dollar a gallon tax on gasoline here and keep the money here instead of sending it to the Saudis. sorry gang everyone makes excuses for these people. Because they have oil.

Its wrong and not in americas best interests.

And we invaded Iraq because of al qeda.