Is motion sickness a hazard in autonomous cars?

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hadn't heard about this before, but I do recall incidents of motion sickness as a passenger in a moving vehicle but never as a driver. Volkswagen is working on technology to alleviate that threat, according to his article: https://www.autohausaz.com/tech-tips/vw-is-developing-anti-motion-sickness-technology-for-autonomous-cars?utm_source=Customer+List&utm_campaign=98bea3e746-aazblog-vw-is-developing-anti-motion-sickness&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ad86343d13-98bea3e746-89729805

BTW, the article is from an auto parts jobber I occasionally buy from. They're a good source.

Or, you could do what most passengers who are prone to carsickness do...

Look out the window instead of reading something or watching a device.

As a child (1950s), I got motion sickness in the car all the time.
It turns out that one possible cause was the vibration frequency of the exhaust system.

As a child (1950s), I got motion sickness in the car all the time. It turns out that one possible cause was the vibration frequency of the exhaust system.

Motion sickness is usually the result of your eyes seeing different motion than your body is feeling. I still get motion sick if I'm in the back seat of a car where I can't see the road. Same with airplanes. I do pretty good with trains and buses as long as I can watch the motion outside the window.

The reverse makes me sick too, when I'm sitting still and my eye's are trying to track movement, such as shaky video clips. 30 seconds of that is enough to make me barf. Years ago we frequently used microfiche to look up parts manuals, and I would often get sick using those things too.

So yeah, if I can't see where I'm going in an autonomous car, there better be some barf bags or Dramamine. :)

Back
Top Bottom