Join Early Retirement Today

Is Premium Fuel Necessary in a Toyota Sienna???
Old 05-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is Premium Fuel Necessary in a Toyota Sienna???

Still looking at Honda and Toyota. Why does th Sienna need premium fuel? I understand a Corvette or fancy Lexus needing it, but a minivan??

COuld I run 87 octane in one without damage?? :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is Premium Fuel Necessary in a Toyota Sienna???
Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Usually something to do with compression ratio's or engine timing.

Most motors calling for premium will simply retard the engine timing automatically, reducing your gas mileage and engine power accordingly.

If they cant do that, you'll probably just get detonation, perhaps undetected. That'll lead to piston and valve damage.

In short, put the gas into your car that the manufacturer specifies. Theres no free lunch.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'd look at the owner's manual and see what it says. My ex's 2000 Honda Odyssey runs on 87 octane.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Usually something to do with compression ratio's or engine timing.

Most motors calling for premium will simply retard the engine timing automatically, reducing your gas mileage and engine power accordingly.

If they cant do that, you'll probably just get detonation, perhaps undetected. That'll lead to piston and valve damage.

In short, put the gas into your car that the manufacturer specifies. Theres no free lunch.
My LBYM's wiring is getting in the way........... The Honda Odyssey has th same horsepower, and uses regular gas..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The manual for my son's (bought by me) 2005 Sienna calls for 87 octane "regular fuel." Where did you see that it calls for premium fuel?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A bunch of Japanese cars, and some European, require Premium fuel these days. Why? Because a cheap (for the manufacturer) way of boosting horsepower output from a given engine size is to increase the compression ratio. Which then requires the owner to buy more expensive gas to avoid knock. Many of them have a knock sensor, so if you run a too low of octane gas, the engine control computer will dial back the spark timing. So if you run lower octane gas, you won't get the performance specified.

Higher octane gas slows flame travel in the cylinder. The energy content of Premium gas is not higher than Regular gas.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The energy content of premium gas is actually somewhat LOWER. The only thing 'premium' about it is that the higher octane reduces chances of preignition and resulting detonation.

In other words, you're paying more for less.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #8

seen articles from edmunds and others saying it's not really that necessary in many cases - check the manual to see if it is a "recommendation" or "required"

i put 87 in my lexo (when i had one) all the time and it was fine...

that said, i do think some brands of gas are sketchy so i'd moniter if certain brands do seem to affect your driving or not...
Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #9

the old engine technology, 300-hp stang does 0-60 about 40% faster on regular than the 287-hp t-bird new tech engine ran on high test. also my gas mileage seems better now, the t-bird ran about 19 highway mpg while the stang just got 22.7 mpg on my ride down to key west. (80 mph on i-95, average 50 mph on u.s.1, top down on way down & top up/ac cranked on way home.) and that with gunning it quite a few times to pass on u.s.1.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote