Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I cannot recall ever being disappointed in anywhere I've gone.
Me neither. I just tend to be satisfied. I would be a terrible critic or pundit. I tend not to compare one event or person or place or experience to another- each one stands alone.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I'll never understand why they built it downtown...
OMG - that is so funny! And I've even heard it before.

I found the Governors mansion kind of shocking in terms of how rough-hewn the furniture and everything was. It was really the stix!

I'm rarely disappointed. I actually enjoyed the Alamo. I've never been to Paris to see the Mona Lisa, but I remember being absolutely blown away seeing the (newly restored) Last Supper in person.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It was a long time ago, and I can not remember which one was the most 'is that it'..... but a civil war site... have to say, it was worse than the Alamo... at least the Alamo has a building....
Old 07-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OMG - that is so funny! And I've even heard it before.
The USS ARIZONA Memorial has a suggestion box for visitors to leave their feedback. It's right next to the box where they can leave a note for the survivors along with a suitable donation for the Memorial's upkeep...

One visitor, in all seriousness, suggested that the entire Memorial needed to be relocated to Waikiki so that visitors wouldn't have to go so far out of their shopping way to see it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The USS ARIZONA Memorial has a suggestion box for visitors to leave their feedback. It's right next to the box where they can leave a note for the survivors along with a suitable donation for the Memorial's upkeep...

One visitor, in all seriousness, suggested that the entire Memorial needed to be relocated to Waikiki so that visitors wouldn't have to go so far out of their shopping way to see it.

Kinda makes your day, doesn't it.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #26

The petrified forest in Arizona - a large part of the trees are gone
Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windsor Castle after having toured Biltmore in North Carolina.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Waikiki Beach. Been 25 years but I still remember the feeling of let-down.

but Hanauma Bay lived up to expectations and was a wonder!

Amethyst
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And sorry, Texans, but the Alamo, too.
Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed with the Alamo too. That said, when I was much younger, often when visiting various places, I would feel "is that it", but now everthing is much more appreciated and impactful.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The petrified forest in Arizona - a large part of the trees are gone
I saw an analysis by the National Park Service how a century of souvenir-pickers have wiped out the landscape. "But it's just one little piece!" multiplied by about a hundred million. For this reason, NPS actually encourages the bad-luck legends about taking volcanic sand/rocks from Kilauea. They've even closed off large parts of Haleakala Crater just because the environment can't handle the human traffic, let alone souvenir hunters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Waikiki Beach. Been 25 years but I still remember the feeling of let-down.
About the only time we locals go down there is when we're meeting friends who feel obligated to vacation down there. Sometimes when the south shore surf is really big-- over 15 feet-- I get the urge to go surf the same waves that Duke Kahanamoku and Rabbit Kekai and the other early 20th-century surfers made so famous. But then I remember the hour's drive, the parking hassles, the long haul to the beach, the crowd jostling in the lineup... and I go 30 minutes to park 100 yards from the White Plains Beach break.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Plymouth Rock.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #32

Graceland. Elvis is larger than life (the KING!) but his house is just meh: cramped and tacky.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40
Graceland. Elvis is larger than life (the KING!) but his house is just meh: cramped and tacky.
+1 I couldn't think of anywhere, until you mentioned Graceland. I had exactly the same reaction. It was a very small house, for someone so famous and wealthy. And tacky beyond belief!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #34

When I say small, I mean cramped and small rooms for someone who had a family and entourage hanging around all the time.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
About the only time we locals go down there is when we're meeting friends who feel obligated to vacation down there. Sometimes when the south shore surf is really big-- over 15 feet-- I get the urge to go surf the same waves that Duke Kahanamoku and Rabbit Kekai and the other early 20th-century surfers made so famous. But then I remember the hour's drive, the parking hassles, the long haul to the beach, the crowd jostling in the lineup... and I go 30 minutes to park 100 yards from the White Plains Beach break.

Hmmmmm. For some reason, I always pictured you surfing on the N shore. Guess I assumed that's the side of the island you lived on.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Stonehenge ! Totally underwhelming !
Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Biloxi, MS beach

Granted, i did not do my homework before i booked the condo. After the trip was planned, several friends warned me. (Thank goodness for Ship Island).

We visited San Antonio last March on an Elderhostel trip. One of our stops was the San Jose Mission, which allows one to better grasp the scope and size of the missions, including the Alamo before those banks, etc. took over part of the Alamo's space. What we see now is such a small part of what it was at the time.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
[/B]
Hmmmmm. For some reason, I always pictured you surfing on the N shore. Guess I assumed that's the side of the island you lived on.
North Shore surfing in the winter (storms from the northern Pacific) and south shore surfing in the summer (storms from Australia). We live in Central Oahu, where it's only 30 minutes to White Plains and 35-45 minutes to Pua'ena Point, Jock's Break, Chun's Reef, & Sunset.

White Plains is regarded as a "beginner" break, with surf spread out across a couple hundred yards and plenty of inner & outer breaks. It's common to meet people who are out there for their first time, who don't know how to turn or otherwise mingle with the crowd. No problem, lots of room. There are plenty of surfers there who will share a wave-- on slow days it's not uncommon for four surfers to take off, two turn left and two turn right, and everybody has a good ride. I know a dozen or so faces on the break by name, and I know how a couple dozen more are likely to take off or turn. During the summer I can get 2-4 any time, 4-6 most of the time, 6-10 once or twice a month, and a couple of 12-16. I think there's only one contest down there year-round: the military competition in early June.

North Shore has a reputation of being "locals only", which may be generally true of insanely popular breaks like Pipeline or Waimea. Winter also attracts a crowd of professionals and semi-pros from around the world, paying stupidly high prices for lodging and food. The breaks tend to be contained within a smaller area (yet still high quality) with everyone jostling for position. The guy who's paying $2500/week to share a 10'x10' concrete room and a bathroom is probably going to be a bit more aggressive on that wave than me. People also tend to want the whole wave to themselves (or think that they do) so that they can practice more complicated maneuvers. I can get 2-10 just about anywhere, 12-16 at Sunset just about anytime, and above that I'm smart enough to watch somebody else do it. But you have to pay attention to the competition schedule, too, so that there aren't a bunch of contest organizers giving you stinkeye for having the audacity to use the ocean in the middle of their heats. Assuming you could even find parking within a half-mile of the contest beach in the first place.

The North Shore is full of very generous and helpful local surfers who would certainly give you the break and help you with whatever you needed. Pancho Sullivan and Myles Padaca are two of them. However there's a much higher probability of meeting at least one jerk, and that's all it takes to ruin your day.

South shore still does OK in winter, with many weeks of 1-3 and the occasional 2-4. If I paddle out in my 10'0" and wear at least 3mm of neoprene then it's still pretty good. Not exactly off-the-lip, down-the-elevator, cutbacks-every-second heart-pumping thrills of the North Shore, but still pretty good. And I enjoy hanging out in the lineup and talking story with the regulars.

So I only go up to the North Shore once or twice a month in winter. A friend tells me that Pua'ena Point is pretty good at 4 PM, which is unusual for most surf breaks, so maybe I'll try that this winter... and I want to spend more time on Jock's Break and Chun's Reef.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #39

The Arizona meteor crater. If you visit it on the day you leave the Grand Canyon, it looks like a small depression in the ground.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
+1 I couldn't think of anywhere, until you mentioned Graceland. I had exactly the same reaction. It was a very small house, for someone so famous and wealthy. And tacky beyond belief!
It made me realize that you can take the boy out of Mississippi but you can never take MI out of the boy. The added wing was impressive for the 60s.