"Is that it?"

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Having a more relaxed, afternoon, turn on the elliptical, and listening to Julio, (as opposed to ZZ Top and the like for more active bouts), singing Mona Lisa, I remembered when, as a young guy, I stood in front of the painting and realized how small it is......"Is that it?"

Likewise, Bondi Beach, (after being on beaches in Queensland, West Australia, and even Melbourne's St Kilda Beach...."Is that it?"), Niagara Falls, Tahiti, (which I visited in early 1963, shortly after the final first run showing of Adventures in Paradise.......Quinn's Bar hadn't yet burned down, Lafayette's was a dive, and the authentic South Sea Islands' smell of Copra still permeated the air.......but, all in all..."Is that it?")

There are likely numerous other examples that will come to mind, but it started me wondering about other people's experiences with "Is that it?"

Dinner at Meadowood in Napa Valley, I could have really had a good dinner and a good time at Mustards Grill instead.

Dinner at Meadowood in Napa Valley, I could have really had a good dinner and a good time at Mustards Grill instead.

I like music, but was never much into live concerts. Then I saw random youtube clips of current big-name groups (Black Eyed Peas, Shakira, et. al.) at some random live performances.

"THAT is what people shell out hundreds of $ for:confused: They aren't even singing 80% of the lyrics, and it's hard to hear what they are able to sing!"

Granted, I understand the whole thing about being in a massive crowd at a concert, and the accompanying energy.

But not at the same price as a week-long cruise (for an alternative expenditure example).

My attitude is:When I [-]approach the Pearly Gates[/-] die, that's it. No more. I'm done. YMMV.
  • Therefore, do what you want, see what you want, go where you want etc. before you get to those gates.

A visit this week to Mt. Rushmore. Yeah, the carvings were on an amazing scale, but...

Needles scenic highway was way more impressive.

I cannot recall ever being disappointed in anywhere I've gone.

But then again, I see wonder in a painted rock sitting in an open field out in the middle of nowhere where the worst snowfall records for my state have occurred. Life is pretty darn hard for the farmers who eke out a living growing hay on the Tug Hill Plateau, and yet a simple boulder of metamorphic rock and some paint make a fabulous statement.

Attachments

• smileyrock.jpg
    smileyrock.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Perhaps I'm more easily impressed than most but, I can think of many, many more sites that impressed me than disappointed me.

And, there are more remaining than I expect I have time to see.

Better hurry up and retire!

I like music, but was never much into live concerts. Then I saw random youtube clips of current big-name groups (Black Eyed Peas, Shakira, et. al.) at some random live performances.
"THAT is what people shell out hundreds of $ for:confused: They aren't even singing 80% of the lyrics, and it's hard to hear what they are able to sing!"
Blue Oyster Cult and Foghat in concert left quite an impression on me back in 1981-? or was it 1982? Or was it the quart of Southern Comfort?

And sorry, Texans, but the Alamo, too.
The Alamo.
I admit, I have led a sheltered life. But up to this point, the Alamo wins hands down.
You guys should have been there during the grand opening, before the place got trashed by a bunch of soldiers...

I cannot recall ever being disappointed in anywhere I've gone.
Me neither. I just tend to be satisfied. I would be a terrible critic or pundit. I tend not to compare one event or person or place or experience to another- each one stands alone.

Ha

Last edited:
+1

I'll never understand why they built it downtown...
OMG - that is so funny! And I've even heard it before.

I found the Governors mansion kind of shocking in terms of how rough-hewn the furniture and everything was. It was really the stix!

I'm rarely disappointed. I actually enjoyed the Alamo. I've never been to Paris to see the Mona Lisa, but I remember being absolutely blown away seeing the (newly restored) Last Supper in person.

Last edited:
It was a long time ago, and I can not remember which one was the most 'is that it'..... but a civil war site... have to say, it was worse than the Alamo... at least the Alamo has a building....

OMG - that is so funny! And I've even heard it before.
The USS ARIZONA Memorial has a suggestion box for visitors to leave their feedback. It's right next to the box where they can leave a note for the survivors along with a suitable donation for the Memorial's upkeep...

One visitor, in all seriousness, suggested that the entire Memorial needed to be relocated to Waikiki so that visitors wouldn't have to go so far out of their [-]shopping[/-] way to see it.

The USS ARIZONA Memorial has a suggestion box for visitors to leave their feedback. It's right next to the box where they can leave a note for the survivors along with a suitable donation for the Memorial's upkeep...

One visitor, in all seriousness, suggested that the entire Memorial needed to be relocated to Waikiki so that visitors wouldn't have to go so far out of their [-]shopping[/-] way to see it.
:LOL:
Kinda makes your day, doesn't it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom