Is the American Dream still alive and well

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems like every where I'm reading that the promise of hard work (and possibly working smart) will no longer lead you to success. I for one don't see it.. My my evidence may be anecdotal but it is what I've personally observed..
1) daughter killing it at state u get an offer for an exciting internship.
2) several Philadelphia community college students get full rides to u of penn.
3) the talented hard working people around me succeed..

It seems like there are a lot of buyers to the notion that times are very tuff...you oldsters had it easy..

Anyone care to comment..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

The American dream is still alive, it's just that it does not take as much sacrifice anymore.

However, anyone in the USA can become a (multi) millionaire, if you work hard enough, have enough ambition and determination. No matter where you start out.

It helps if you have an exceptional talent. It also helps if you are born in the right neighborhood. But many exceptions exist too. And hard works always plays a role.

It worked for me :D

Education is important for most folks, dropping out of High School is dumb, but an incredible number of kids do it.

Attitude, politeness, and not feeling entitled can help.

I was willing to take a job anywhere in the country, so I got them pretty fast.
Later due to family constraints I only took local jobs, but by then I had proof of abilities and finding work was pretty easy.
Still, once when jobs dried up, I took a low pay job for 6 months until I could find a better one.

I was willing to take a job anywhere in the country, so I got them pretty fast...
Yes I was always willing to move and that enabled me to move up more quickly.

During my consulting years (last 10), I held a job that needed me to travel to 2000 miles to three locations every month. But it did make a difference. These are definitely family sacrifices, but I always concentrated on quality time when I was home.

It seems like there are a lot of buyers to the notion that times are very tuff...you oldsters had it easy..

I think that it is difficult to impossible for younger people to have the slightest clue as to what we older folks went through way back when. They probably think we are just exaggerating and that we had life handed to us on a silver platter. Wasn't really like that, IIRC. Our concerns were different. For example I will never, ever forget those of my dear friends who were drafted and died over there before even having a chance to try for the American Dream. :( I could go on with different types of examples but I won't. Younger people really cannot "get it" because they are struggling with their own challenges now.

However, then as now, I think the American Dream was (and is) a reality. That doesn't mean that life is overloaded with opportunity here or anywhere, but I think we have more here than those living in some other countries. If and when an opportunity does arise, a young person needs to be ready to jump on it, for sure.

I think one has to make "succeeding" a priority in order to attain the American Dream. Simply sitting back and dreaming will not make it. One must set the course a then work for it. Sadly, I think the "work" ethic is becoming more and more the exception rather than the norm. But for those who do have a plan and work the plan, the dream is still alive and doing well.

Last edited:
You don't even have to be an American. Over the past 6 or 7 years, we have had so much work done inside and outside our home that it has resulted in my talking to quite a few green-card immigrants. Every crew who's been here, contains at least one fellow who is picking up English as fast as he can and has dreams of starting up his own business. First, you mow lawns. Then, you learn a trade. Then you buy a used truck and some used equipment, and bring in a few amigos. I have no idea how many of these dreams come true, but they are certainly strongly held.

It helps if you have an exceptional talent. It also helps if you are born in the right neighborhood. But many exceptions exist too. And hard works always plays a role.

Yes, I believe the American dream is still alive for the younger generation. This generation faces more challenges such as a slowing domestic economy, globalization paying off student loans etc.

My life was put on hold for three years after college in the 60's because of the draft and VN war. My father was part of the greatest generation who had to endure the great depression and put their dreams on hold to fight in WWII.

So to answer the critics who say the old folks had it easier I say BS. Study your history and quit whining.

"You grew up in an era with higher taxes, higher union membership, better public schools, better wages for non union workers, . You have no right to look down on others, most likely if you were born in the 80's or 90's you would be one of the people you're complaining about. You benefited from a economic policies you've most likely been voting against. You're not special you were just born in the right place at the right time."

Jeeze I thought my humble success was the result of going to graduate school for 6 years at night, getting two masters and then taking every tech course I could, being fiscally responsible and oh yeah theres that whole hard work thing....

Yes, I believe the American dream is still alive for the younger generation. This generation faces more challenges such as a slowing domestic economy, globalization paying off student loans etc.

My life was put on hold for three years after college in the 60's because of the draft and VN war. My father was part of the greatest generation who had to endure the great depression and put their dreams on hold to fight in WWII.

So to answer the critics who say the old folks had it easier I say BS. Study your history and quit whining.

You might want to study the present. Here's a place to start (there are many, many others):

http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Twenty-First-Century-Thomas-Piketty/dp/1491534656

I think it is still there, although the path has changed because of the changes in society and technology. But perseverance, honesty, integrity, and hard work were always essential parts of the mix, whether the startup is the next breakthrough tech company or the lawn service company across town.

Yeah, the dream is still there.

I don't think it's any harder to achieve.

I just think it's a lot easier get away with not pursuing it.

I don't see a lot of hunger for success out there. You can get by on a lot less and long as you have your internet connection and a coffee shop nearby, life is good.

There's a mindset nowadays that says success has to come at the expense of someone else...I've had some younger relatives actually ask me who/how much I had to cheat to have become so successful.

It seems like every where I'm reading that the promise of hard work (and possibly working smart) will no longer lead you to success.

The stuff I read doesn't say the American dream is dead. But it does often highlight research pointing out that the playing field of our meritocracy isn't quite as level as we'd all like to believe.

I don't see a lot of hunger for success out there. You can get by on a lot less and long as you have your internet connection and a coffee shop nearby, life is good.
Heh - that's the way I am living my retirement days! I sure did work my behind off and save a lot while working though.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by the phrase "American Dream", but we live in a developed country that offers us good amounts of individual freedom. It's not perfect, of course, as there are some members and groups that are more favored than others but overall, anyplace where a person has more than a fighting chance is a good place to be - and this is definitely one of those places, IMO.

I would still agree that you will achieve more if you work harder, but I also think the current economy makes it more difficult than for earlier generations. However, I believe that I see fewer young people are willing to do the hard work part. Not none, just fewer.

I think a person of average intelligence with an excellent work ethic and a little good luck can do just fine in the current US environment. One drawback is with the loss of some of our heavy manufacturing base it can be more difficult for those individuals who long for the union factory job that parents or grandparents may have held. That said, education and retooling one's skill set is a major factor of how a person will do in achieving the American Dream.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Let's ask a forum full of self-made multi-millionaires whether it's still possible to become a self-made multi-millionaire. Wonder what we'll find.

Hmmm... Let's ask a forum full of self-made multi-millionaires whether it's still possible to become a self-made multi-millionaire. Wonder what we'll find.

Of course, stay out of debt, LBYM and go long on Brazilian albino pork belly futures.

Perhaps simply because there is such a forum my question is self evident...

The American dream is still alive, it's just that it does not take as much sacrifice anymore.

However, anyone in the USA can become a (multi) millionaire, if you work hard enough, have enough ambition and determination. No matter where you start out.

Work sucks. I was never a fan of hard work in spite of my parents admonitions. Going thru college with no scholarship - 2 yrs at home attending JC and 2 yrs UW. Summers in Lumber mills and logging camp were not sacrifice - just lucky to have something to stay in shape and enjoy the great outdoors.

As for 30+ years in the Space Program ambition and determination couldn't compete with the romance and 'that period of history'.

Before Joe Campbell and 'Follow your Bliss'. there was my work bud of 20+ years a retired Air Force NCO when we were working 60 -80 hours per week in a crunch -

'Heck(sic) if they didn't pay me to work here I'd have to buy a ticket to come watch.'

heh heh heh - and then there is the old - take some money off the top and let time and Mr Market do the rest. Live and party on the rest.

I feel up near the top on slackerdom - able to watch grass grow and paint dry as well as anybody. :rolleyes: :dance: :dance: :D ;)

That other thread about bloggers finding and living the American Dream on less than $30,000 a year tells me that the Dream is still alive and even easier to fulfill than ever before.

That other thread about bloggers finding and living the American Dream on less than $30,000 a year tells me that the Dream is still alive and even easier to fulfill than ever before.

I've found thru considerable analysis that a sweet spot exists in the low $60k range for a married couple. Heathcare, federal income taxes with SS income and you pay very low taxes. Now the next question is whether you can live on that amount or not. While I may not choose to live on that amount I'm grateful I have the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom