Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had incredible luck on the last house I sold. It was a small older house in a not so good neighborhood. One that I inherited from my aunt. I did a little painting inside and was in the process of having the carpet ripped out so I could have the wood floors underneath refinished. Can't believe people put carpet on top, but that's another story. Anyway....a family drove by and stopped seeing the carpet laid out in the yard and asked if I was getting it ready to sell. They were looking for something for their daughter to live in while she attended a nearby college. I showed them the house, they made an offer and I took their $1k cash down payment. Closed on the house a week later.

I've sold three houses in my life and have never used a realtor. The other two took 3 months to sell. I'm thinking about buying another house and getting rid of the one I'm in(mom's old house) as it is in the same neighborhood as the last one. Might give it another try on my own for a short time, but plan to let a realtor handle soon there after.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
To update, I interviewed another realtor, and the contrast could not be greater. Made me wonder if they were reading this thread. Their guidance: the market to sell is stronger in February / March, especially this house (small 3 bedroom) because the greatest prospect segment is families with school-age children. Staging helps but more important is to have the house in good repair, clean, move-in condition. Numerous improvements suggested by others would be nice to have but the cost would not be completely recovered. Commission is also lower.

One more interview to go.
Good luck with your realtor interviews. Hope you find the right one.

I have a realtor that I always use, because his strengths are my weaknesses. Namely, he is a polite but hard-bitten, merciless negotiator and I am the ultimate softie when it comes to that. So, I just let him do his thing when it comes to the negotiating phases.

Anyway, my realtor pushed me really hard to get my house on the market fast after my July 1st move. He wanted the house on the market before I even started fixing it up. He said I could do that later. He didn't want to wait to have the house staged, and said it looked bigger empty. I did insist on having it professionally cleaned first, but that was all I got done. He said to just leave it empty and put it on the market, pronto!

I don't know if maybe he had heard that someone in particular was looking for a house like mine, or what. This IS the biggest small town in America, or so they say, and he knows a lot of people. Be that as it may, I got the house on the market in a week and we had a contract in place after just 4 days on the market. I never expected that fast of a sale in this area.

So, that is the approach I like. I picked a realtor that I believe in, and then did whatever he said to do to prepare the house for sale.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #43

Got a realtor. Moved everyone out of the house. Went through one last time to rescue anything that might be needed or have sentimental value to the family. Then cleaned it out - a major undertaking.

We need new carpeting. I called three suppliers, the three bids are all over the place. The range of prices shocks me - from $3.5k - $8.8k. I find carpeting confusing, like buying a mattress. No way to compare specs or judge relative quality of one offer vs another. I'm inclined to go with the lower priced offer. Am I missing something?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #44
Administrator

My opinion is that no matter what carpet you buy, the buyers are going to hate it and tear it out. So if it was me, I'd go see what the cheapest neutral carpet at Home Depot would cost, installed.

But, don't listen to me - - what does your realtor say? He (or she) sells houses in your area all the time and would have a better handle on this than any of us would.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I know nothing about the impartiality or accuracy of this calculator but it might be of some help: Cost to Install Carpet - 2015 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Realtors will always suggest you upgrade because the house will sell for more and consequently their commission will be more. They'll also encourage you to use a contractor they know, who pays them a "finders fee" of course.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #47

Well, closed on house sale number 2 today. So for 2015 the count is:

1 house in Denver. Sold in 30 days at 95% of list.
1 house in Scottsdale. Sold in 4 days at 98% of list.
1 remodel of new Scottsdale house. Took five months to complete (month ahead of schedule). Wish I could say we were also on budget but we decided to upgrade some finishes and appliances as this will be our last home.

A very trying 8 months getting the houses ready to sell, moving twice, and settling into the new place. Glad we did it though. Now down to one home and I told my other half to hit me over the head with a five iron if I ever say we ought to buy another home!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know nothing about the impartiality or accuracy of this calculator but it might be of some help: Cost to Install Carpet - 2015 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)
That gave me 5x what Home Depot charged me in 2010. Of course, that was five years ago, but still....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Realtors will always suggest you upgrade because the house will sell for more and consequently their commission will be more. They'll also encourage you to use a contractor they know, who pays them a "finders fee" of course.
Really? Those sound like some awful realtors.

Last summer my realtor told me not to do ANY upgrades or repairs despite the fact that I planned to do some, and instead to get the house on the market right away. I barely was able to get a professional cleaning crew in there before it was on the market and sold.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We need new carpeting. I called three suppliers, the three bids are all over the place. The range of prices shocks me - from $3.5k - $8.8k. I find carpeting confusing, like buying a mattress. No way to compare specs or judge relative quality of one offer vs another. I'm inclined to go with the lower priced offer. Am I missing something?
Nope. Get a cheap carpet in a neutral color. I've done that even with expensive homes and it worked fine. Buyers just want to have something OK in there where they don't have to immediately tear out the carpet. And, you want it to look decent while being shown.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
A very trying 8 months getting the houses ready to sell, moving twice, and settling into the new place. Glad we did it though. Now down to one home and I told my other half to hit me over the head with a five iron if I ever say we ought to buy another home!
That sounds so miserable! My move last summer was awfully stressful and physically exhausting, too. Like you, I hope I never move again. Luckily, I love my new house and plan to stay here for eternity if not longer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But, don't listen to me - - what does your realtor say? He (or she) sells houses in your area all the time and would have a better handle on this than any of us would.
The carpet supplier with the best price is the one she recommended. The carpet is badly worn and stained - no option.

I agree with do what the realtor says, I'm doing a bit more than she suggested, but otherwise I'm following her lead.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Nope. Get a cheap carpet in a neutral color. I've done that even with expensive homes and it worked fine. Buyers just want to have something OK in there where they don't have to immediately tear out the carpet. And, you want it to look decent while being shown.
That's what the realtor said, also DW.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Just wondering if it might make sense to include a carpet allowance so the buyer can pick the color they like and upgrade if they want to. Otherwise agree... just put in some cheap carpet to facilitate the sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just wondering if it might make sense to include a carpet allowance so the buyer can pick the color they like and upgrade if they want to. Otherwise agree... just put in some cheap carpet to facilitate the sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Not a bad idea, this is what the realtor suggested for other repairs or work. In this case the carpet is badly stained and run down and really gives a poor first impression.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #56

We have some local carpet stores that beat Home Depot and Lowes prices by 50% installed. They also have the carpet in stock where H/D-L will have to order theirs in. We can have it in within 3 days.

But we're fortunate to live in the South where they make all the carpet. We buy top quality carpet store in the Dalton area as large as a football field with rolls stacked 30' high. And we have never paid over $5.00 a square yard.

Good luck on your reconditioning.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #57

85% of carpet sold is beige.

I'd suggest buying a beige that goes best with your existing wall colors and trim and calling it a day.

Buyers love new carpet -- it looks good, and its one less decision, one less delay, one less expense...and they know it is free of pet and human debris.

omni
Old 11-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My opinion is that no matter what carpet you buy, the buyers are going to hate it and tear it out. So if it was me, I'd go see what the cheapest neutral carpet at Home Depot would cost, installed.
I agree with this completely.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #59

Update

Time for an update. Two weeks ago the realtor called and said the market was moving and we had to list immediately. The house was ready, I gave the go ahead. In a week we had 3 offers, and now after the second week we have a contract signed, inspection done and price adjustments agreed. The net sales price, after credits, is at the top of the range all the realtors gave when interviewed 4 months ago.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that was easy . Congratulations!!!