Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
If I felt so angry that I needed to do something I'd use the middle finger on my right hand.
I would never do something like this. It makes you feel angry which is not good for you, and it could get you shot. Once I was with my late brother in an open red Miata. He gave the finger to a car full of the kind of people that anyone should know not to give the finger too. I think they did not notice, as nothing happened, but it was foolish and the last time I rode with him.

All our lives we are navigating in minefields of impaired, stupid, unprepared or otherwise unfit participants. Have to just be careful and keep our eyes on the goal, which is that we survive and prosper.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
DOH!

* Not available to USA due to FCC restrictions

I've seen something available in the US, somewhere though.

Edit: They'll ship 'em from Brasil.

Here's a LINK to a basic explanation on cell phone jamming laws.
Pity. How would they feel about a tasty 10 stage Marx generator?

This will put some emphasis in "Hang up and drive!", or at least get the offender off the road when his engine conks out.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Of course, she had not put on her turn signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
What are those?
They're used extensively in Florida...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
and people wonder why I have no interest in driving a subcompact fuel miser...
That is why GM makes the 7000 lb Suburban. And I keep mine. Cheap ongoing insurance paid for in 12MPG dues.

Edit add: Also keep in the rear 2 5/8" tow hitch ball. Look real funny in the absent minded driver's radiator.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Edit add: Also keep in the rear 2 5/8" tow hitch ball. Look real funny in the absent minded driver's radiator.
Oddly enough, that is exactly what happened to the idiot in the TrasCamaro who rear-ended dad's '83 suburban back in the day.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will give the idiot a pass on this one.... our Ford Explorer has the gas intake on the "other" side... always makes it look like we are going against the rest of the world... and when I forget (not may main car), I have to drive around to get it right...
I do that often, but it is not the same thing!

Perhaps you are not a member of Costco, whose gas stations are not at all like the typical station on a street corner. Of all their stations that I have been to, they are arranged like a 6 or 8-lane freeway, all going in the same direction with signs directing the traffic. Even if the refill island is on the wrong side of your car, their hoses are long enough to reach.

What this guy did was the same as driving down the freeway in the wrong direction, squeezing between lanes!

Some dumb people still do that, but if you are DUI or yaking on the phone, you would have much less of an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
For the most part i just ignore them and drive on.
When I was young, I used to get angry, but now, I would just shake my head.
Wouldn't flip my finger at anyone. There are a lot of wackos out there. And they may have guns with them.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I was young, I used to get angry, but now, I would just shake my head.
Wouldn't flip my finger at anyone. There are a lot of wackos out there. And they may have guns with them.
About 5 years ago I had some one tailgating me for miles. It was really getting me nervous and pissed off. I spent so much time worrying that they were going to hit me it was hard for me to concentrate on the road ahead. I made a somewhat aggressive maneuver to try to shake them, and they got very aggressive in return.

At that point I realized this could escalate quickly, so I backed down, and I remember to just "chill" when this comes up again. You really don't know what's in their minds, no need to find out.

-ERD50
Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

One of the advantages of being retired is I'm rarely in a hurry to get anywhere. I avoid distracted drivers even if it means changing my route. Would never try to communicate with them - too many road rage incidents around here to risk it. I will admit there are times I wish I could fire the photon torpedoes...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
No hand signal, just a finger signal.

... . .
Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
About 5 years ago I had some one tailgating me for miles. It was really getting me nervous and pissed off. I spent so much time worrying that they were going to hit me it was hard for me to concentrate on the road ahead. I made a somewhat aggressive maneuver to try to shake them, and they got very aggressive in return.

At that point I realized this could escalate quickly, so I backed down, and I remember to just "chill" when this comes up again. You really don't know what's in their minds, no need to find out.

-ERD50
Had a few of those. I just flick the lights on a few times. Initial reaction of tailgater is that the brake lights are coming on, and they brake.

If the message in not penetrating thick skull, the next maneuvre is a very hard stab the brakes, then release. It has allways worked. Occasionally rewarded in the rear view mirror, the single digit salute indicating the the tailgater's IQ. And it tells me that I'm still #1
Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Had a few of those. I just flick the lights on a few times. Initial reaction of tailgater is that the brake lights are coming on, and they brake.

If the message in not penetrating thick skull, the next maneuvre is a very hard stab the brakes, then release. It has allways worked. Occasionally rewarded in the rear view mirror, the single digit salute indicating the the tailgater's IQ. And it tells me that I'm still #1
That's essentially what I did (w/o the salute) - he didn't get the message, so I did it a bit harder one or two more times - he pulled up to next to me in a no-passing zone and almost drove me off the road. At that point I figured he could be drunk/drugged/crazy/carrying - I decided it was time to back down and let me self-preservation instincts kick in. I couldn't get a plate # or I would have called 911.

Question for the LE types on the forum: Does it make sense to call 911 to report crazy drivers?

-ERD50
Old 04-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the California hands-free-only law has made much difference. I doubt the law is enforced, since I see drivers talking on phones all the time.

A nearby city has announced that they will now have zero-tolerance enforcement of this law.

In riding my bike along the side of the road (and freeway), I'm especially vulnerable to distracted drivers.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #33

There is a hands free law in this state and NO one complies. At least 33% of the people driving are on a hand held phone because I can see it. I assume some are using hands free. So like what % of the people driving are actually paying attention to driving?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #34

Sometimes I love NJ - drivers here seem to be a little less stupid than other areas of the country (more people (than not) keep to left to pass, often (not all) turn signals are used, and traffic flows well (more often than not) on most roads). Flipping the bird to someone or honking is just a part of the day. I get a sick sense of enjoyment after a bad day honking (beeep beeeeeeeeep beep beep bbbbeeeeeeeepppppp!) and bird flipping at the "zoomers" - those who cut into the middle lane a few cars back from the exit to NB 287 heading towards I-80 on Rt. 24. The left lane where I need to be is for SB 287, and those jerks zoom up past the waiting cars in the center lane...If I were trying to go North, I'd be pissed as heck at them too! I'll honk and bird flip a stupid cell talker as well...usually some chick talking about blowing hubby's $$$ in an expensive car with the NJ Housewives look! Hope I'm not supposed to be ashamed...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

It would be a great idea for someone to come up with about 20 hand signals for everyone to learn. Things like

Thanks
Sorry
Your lights are on
Your tire is going flat
You go first
Hang up the phone
There is something on your roof
Your blinker is on
My mistake
etc.

Let's see what hand signals we currently have:

Hi
**** you.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #36

If you have a passenger in your car, get them to take a video and post it on youtube.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Isn't there a law where you can't drive holding a cell phone to your ear? I keep a cell phone for emergencies, if someone calls me when I am driving, I wait until I get to my destination or a parking lot to call them back.
Yes, but in some locales you can't be nailed for it unless you are pulled over for another traffic infraction at the same time! Talk about a pointless law.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #38

I once saw a guy holding not one but two cell phones as he was waiting to make a left turn at a difficult intersection.

Could he be given two tickets or be flipped not one but two middle fingers then?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
ICould he be given two tickets or be flipped not one but two middle fingers then?
Be careful, you might get a ticket for inattentive driving if you take both hands off the steering wheel simultaneously...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #40
gone traveling

I just ordered this hands-free device for my cell phone...DOT approved....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hands_free_cell_phone.jpg (21.8 KB, 3 views)