Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have an agreement. She controls the cell phone and I control the remote control for the TV.

I have never used the cell phone. She seldom gets the remote.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

This is encouraging (nearby city):
Eureka Police Department To Hold ‘Zero Tolerance’ Distracted Driving Enforcement Operation

04/04/11 13:49
(Eureka, CA) – As part of this month’s Distracted Driving Awareness Month campaign, [Eureka PD} will be offering “zero tolerance” to those texting or operating hand-held cell phones on April 4th and April 5th }. Drivers who break the law and place themselves and others in danger will be cited. The current minimum ticket cost is $159, with subsequent tickets costing at least $279.

Distracted driving is a serious traffic safety concern that puts everyone on the road at risk. As a result, law enforcement across the state, including Eureka PD are increasingly cracking down on cell phone use and texting. This April will see over 225 local agencies plus the 103 CHP Area Commands conducting zero tolerance enforcements.

Eureka PD is deploying traffic officers above and beyond on the following dates:

April 4th from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
April 5th from 8:00 AM to 7:00PM

“We take the issue of distracted driving very seriously.” said Eureka PD Chief Garr Nielsen. “Cell phone use and texting while driving is such a serious concern that we are putting officers on the road to enforce zero tolerance. Is that text message or cell phone call really worth $159?”

Drivers who use hand-held devices are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves. Younger, inexperienced drivers under 20 years old have the highest proportion of distraction-related fatal crashes. In addition, studies show that texting while driving can delay a driver’s reaction time just as severely as having a blood alcohol content of a legally drunk driver.

Studies show that there is no difference in the risks between hands-free and hand-held cell phone conversations, both of which can result in “inattention blindness” which occurs when the brain isn’t seeing what is clearly visible because the drivers’ focus is on the phone conversation and not on the road.

Q: How is a phone conversation any different than talking to a passenger?
A: Cell phone and passenger conversations are very different in their level of distraction and effect on drivers. People engaged in cell phone conversations experience inattention blindness – that’s when your brain can’t see what’s right in front of you because you’re too busy with your call. Passengers are sharing your immediate experience and so normally react to what is happening. Scientific studies have compared the risk of cell phone conversations to passenger conversations and determined that cell phone conversations pose a much higher risk.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about something like this?
Autoflirt™ Sign - hand held stopped traffic flirt signs. Flirting in Traffic is Fun.

Only it could say things like, "Only an Idiot would drive slowly in the left lane like that".

Or, "Knock it off with the cell"

Or, "You're Cute...can I borrow your cell phone?"
Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Isn't there a law where you can't drive holding a cell phone to your ear? I keep a cell phone for emergencies, if someone calls me when I am driving, I wait until I get to my destination or a parking lot to call them back.
In Spain there is that law. You can easily be fined with aprox 400 $ and 4 points taken off your 12 point driving license. Here in Spain it´s a very serious traffic law violation.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
In Spain there is that law. You can easily be fined with aprox 400 $ and 4 points taken off your 12 point driving license. Here in Spain it´s a very serious traffic law violation.
But do they enforce it?

Maybe I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon, but it seems to me traffic laws are not enforced much anymore. So people routinely break the law, and it's become dangerous to not go along with the flow of traffic (I'm always afraid of getting rear-ended when I actually stop for a right-on-red for example).

It creates an attitude that laws don't mean anything, and I think that is a big problem. If the law is silly, get it off the books (and no, we don't need to side track this into the failed 'war on drugs').

-ERD50
Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But do they enforce it?
That´s another matter. Not enough traffic police manpower. But bear in mind that If you lose your 12 points.....there goes your driving license. And here we are very mindful of losing points. This issue of the fear of losing points has reduced in more than 25% car accidents.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #47

Not long ago I'm at a red light in the left lane of a double left turn intersection. Lanes are marked with the white dashed lines. Lady to the right of me is on the cell phone. Light turns green and we both move out. She comes hard left into my lane squeezing me over to the point I have to stop to keep from hitting the island. I blow the horn, she looks over at me being squeezed out. I throw up my hands like "WTF" and she gives me the "thumbs up" signal. Still on the phone but signaled me that everything was OK. Don't understand some drivers. She was oblivious to what was going on.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
That´s another matter. Not enough traffic police manpower. But bear in mind that If you lose your 12 points.....there goes your driving license. And here we are very mindful of losing points. This issue of the fear of losing points has reduced in more than 25% car accidents.
Well, if they fear getting caught that may be good enough. I don't sense much fear around here. Maybe it is just my perception, I dunno.

-ERD50
Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If hand signals aren't effective...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote