Is there an AA battery charger that can do 16-24 at a time?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Justy wondering...not seeing much other than 12 at a time for $120

I also wonder why you would need one charger that does 20... heck, 5 chargers that does 4 batts each is the same in the end... and probably better on the batts...

I am adding a rental game to our business that takes 6 batteries....people will rent at least 12 at a time which is 72 batteries

It also functions as a portable electric heater...but 'fast' it isn't:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Charge Times:

• AAA 800 - 1200mAh -> 4 to 6 hours
  • AA 1500 - 2900mAh -> 4 to 7 hours
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm thinking, its quantity but not speed that's the priority for a 16 slot charger. Probably a buisness that is constantly charging and rotating their stock of batteries. Most likely, when a battery dies, just pluck a charged one from one the the 16 slots and plop the one that needs charging in to charge up.

Last edited:
I thought this was for your wife after the divorce.

I also wonder why you would need one charger that does 20... heck, 5 chargers that does 4 batts each is the same in the end... and probably better on the batts...
+1. And, to make the batteries last a long time, you want each battery to be monitored separately (by the circuit in the charger), not just a constant application of current to all the slots as long as the power is on.

- I'd get a 6 plug power strip and plug in 5 cheap chargers holding 4 batteries each. And when one dies you won't be entirely out of business as you would with a single large charger. Screw everything to a board or the wall to keep the wire proliferation under control.

I'd like a few of these:

Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Home & Garden

But I have more than I can use from garage sales and battery/charger bundles.

In the "killing two birds" department, I put distribute that chargers to outlets around the house, and their LEDs are useful for navigation in the dark.

Some chargers draw almost no power once the batteries are charged, others draw power all the time.

I got a lacrosse bc-900 (which is a similar model to the bc-700). I'm using it right now to refresh some old, batteries. I even, looking at instructions someone had at Amazon, managed to "jump" a dead battery with a paperclip.

Since a year ago, I've pretty much switched over to the low discharge type and just charge a bunch up at the start of the year. Then have containers labeled "Fresh" and "Weak".

Also, the Ansmann chargers look pretty interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Ansmann-52074...9RYS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326913010&sr=8-3

I do have some other chargers around too, including a Tenergy that I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-V-968...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326913091&sr=1-2

Last edited:
Since a year ago, I've pretty much switched over to the low discharge type and just charge a bunch up at the start of the year. Then have a containers labeled "Fresh" and "Weak".

I assume you're talking about the Eneloop types, right?

How many do you charge up at the start of the year? I find that I need to recharge my eneloops much more frequently.

That looks like an excellent unit (assuming the reliability is there, and I assume it is from the high rating).

The key is - that unit charges/monitors each battery separately. Most will put two or four in series, or even if each is separate, the charge voltage is the same for all.

That said, I no longer seem to have any need for a AA/AAA charger. The stuff we have that would 'eat' batteries has their own rechargeable lithiums. The stuff that uses AA/AAA are things that last a year or more (clocks, weather station, remotes, etc). Just doesn't seem to be good economy, especially since the rechargeables all have relatively high 'self-discharge' rates. That would likely mean more changing than the cheap AA/AAA (I generally buy at costco - the shelf life of alkalines is so good now, I don't mind 'stocking' them for several years).

Maybe I should start another thread, but one of my pet-peeves is a relatively inexpensive electronic item that takes relatively expensive lithium coin cells (non-rechargeable). You spend more in batteries than the device after a while. Sometimes the size is warranted, but other times there is plenty of room for AAAs.

I've looked for cheap lithium coin cells, and no luck. Amazon has some cheap, but people say they come with no exp date, and they are already 1/2 or more discharged. That's no bargain. Anyone know a reliable & reasonably cheap source? I find CR2032 are about $3.75 retail which seems very high to me.

-ERD50

Anyone know a reliable & reasonably cheap source? I find CR2032 are about $3.75 retail which seems very high to me.

-ERD50
Check your local "Dollar Store", I often find them there in a pack of 3 for $1. I don't know how fresh they are, but they seem to last awhile. Harbor Freight also sells them: 4 cells for $2.

For the tiny button cells, I buy a sheet of them at Harbor Freight. 24 assorted for $5. Good for thermometers, etc.

24 Piece Button Cell Battery Multi-Pack

How many do you charge up at the start of the year? I find that I need to recharge my eneloops much more frequently.

Are you sure you got a genuine Eneloop and not a fake?
My 1st gen Eneloops are true to the claim, having about 75%-80% charge at the end of the year (just tested few last week).
My 2nd gen Eneloops (look for "glitter style" or crown symbol on them) are too new (few months) to register meaningful state of discharge.

My mode of operation is to put a charged Eneloop from the stash in service and discharged Eneloop straight into the charger and after charging into the stash.
I never needed to charge my stash, but at most my Eneloops are sitting there only few months (except the few I'm running discharge tests on)

PS: My 5 year old daughter loves "glitter style" Eneloops in her toys :)

Finally, a topic I can chime in on! I collect flashlights, thus have a need for quite a few AA and AAA batteries. I use Eneloops and have about 30 AAs and 20 AAAs. I have two of the BC-700 chargers mentioned above, and one Maha MH-C9000 (Amazon.com: Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer: Electronics). While the BC-700 is a wonderful charger, the MH-C9000 has much more to offer and is worth the extra $$ in my eyes. More flexibility on charging rates, and better at break-in and reconditioning.

I do wish that all of these high-end chargers had more charging slots available though...eight slots would be good for me.

Yes, the majority of the low discharge batteries I have are eneloops. I also have some RayOvacs too, but the eneloops seem to discharge slower. Was reading on Amazon that the newer eneloops are supposed to last three years before self discharging.

I charge about 20 of each AA, AAA sizes at the start of the year.

Still, when I travel with the eneloops in my camera, I still bring a rapid AA charger along in case the batteries surprisely die on me (old habits die hard).

The nice thing about a charger like the BC-700 (and the Maha) is that if you have a battery is old, that doesn't last that long, you can "refresh" it to condition the battery back to a better state.

Last edited:
Are you sure you got a genuine Eneloop and not a fake?
My 1st gen Eneloops are true to the claim, having about 75%-80% charge at the end of the year (just tested few last week).
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's not that they don't hold a charge when not being used, it's that they are used so much, that I could never go a whole year without recharging some unless I had a stash of about 100.

Things I need them for:
Four cameras
toothbrush (modified to take AAs when the original battery failed)
trimmer (same)
flashlights
X10 remote for lights
Two rear flashers for the bikes
TV & DVR remotes
elliptical trainer
stationary bike
H2 handheld recorder

The real convenience I find is using the low discharge batteries in remotes, clocks etc. that normally require alkalines in the old days. Now when I need to change, I just grab one from my fresh stash.

Last edited:
The real convenience I find is using the low discharge batteries in remotes, clocks etc. that normally require alkalines in the old days. Now when I need to change, I just grab one from my fresh stash.
I'm not finding many uses for rechargeables, but maybe I'm behind in the technology. The things I use batteries in today are the low-discharge devices, including many that are a PITA when they fail (smoke detectors, remote controls for the garage door opener and the external keypad for the same, the flashlight in the glovebox of the car, etc.) If I buy AA alkaline batteries on sale they are $6 for 24. I'll use maybe 36 batteries a year=$9. That will fill my requirements for a year. I know they are going to work. If I use rechargeables, some will be have reduced capacities after a time (mix them with others and the whole set has a reduced life--now which one is the bad one?). For me, the hassle factor doesn't make it worthwhile.

Before the low-discharge rechargeables, it only made sense to use alkalines unless you loved constantly charging and changing batteries. Now, the newer batteries, IMO are like the best of both worlds...keeps a charge like alkalines, can be recharged like a rechargeable.

I think with the low discharge rechargebles, it's only practical to stock up on many, otherwise, you'd be still recharging often and looking for spare batteries, which defeats the purpose.

Then it comes down to which one likes more -- to invest in a lot of rechargeable batteries and charger vs stocking up on alkalines each year.

As for the cost...it's the upfront in rechargeables vs yearly for alkalines.

I'm not finding many uses for rechargeables, but maybe I'm behind in the technology. The things I use batteries in today are the low-discharge devices, including many that are a PITA when they fail (smoke detectors, remote controls for the garage door opener and the external keypad for the same, the flashlight in the glovebox of the car, etc.) If I buy AA alkaline batteries on sale they are $6 for 24. I'll use maybe 36 batteries a year=$9. That will fill my requirements for a year. I know they are going to work. If I use rechargeables, some will be have reduced capacities after a time (mix them with others and the whole set has a reduced life--now which one is the bad one?). For me, the hassle factor doesn't make it worthwhile.

I can understand that, because even with the low-discharge types, one does spend a bit of time recharging. Also, you will probably spend about $5 per year on current to charge them.

However, because I've been using rechargeables for years, I've prevented hundreds of depleted alkalines from going to the landfill. Yes, they are small, but for me, that factor tips the balance towards recharging.

Another plus about rechargables is if the do corrode, they don't do so as much as alkalines. I've never had a rechargeable corrode enough to make a device non-functional. I can't say the same for alkalines.

Before the low-discharge rechargeables, it only made sense to use alkalines unless you loved constantly charging and changing batteries. Now, the newer batteries, IMO are like the best of both worlds...keeps a charge like alkalines, can be recharged like a rechargeable.

As for the cost...it's the upfront in rechargeables vs yearly for alkalines.

It is interesting to me that they have achieved these low self-discharge rates in the rechargeables - I was not aware of that.

But it is really a moot point. In a low-discharge use, the alkalines last a year or more (I'm pretty sure some of my remotes are working fine with 3-4 YO batteries in them). So at 5x to10x the cost for Eneloops, we are talking a 5 to 20 year payback, before we buy a charger (assume you already bought that for your high-discharge products).

With a long payback, I'm betting that when you go to replace that high-discharge device, the newer ones will come with rechargeable lithiums anyhow. Your charger (if bought today), might not ever payback.

-ERD50

However, because I've been using rechargeables for years, I've prevented hundreds of depleted alkalines from going to the landfill. Yes, they are small, but for me, that factor tips the balance towards recharging.

This is the key for me as well...not so much recouping the cost.

Back
Top Bottom