Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I made a point to talk to this neighbor each day since he was over for some time each day in his house or mine. No booze at all since...guess he isn't an alcoholic, but I, personally, never have seen anyone sit and drink a case of beer and not get sick, show any drunken ways or even pee! Good gosh...that guy must have a bladder like steel! How does he do it?
My Dad went through beer like a fish through water. He could down 9-12 a day without much more than a little slur and many repeated WWII stories. He drank 6 -7 days a week; usually after work at one of the local taverns and at home on weekends. He had quite a tolerance for it and could drink many folks under the table. I never got a chance to challenge him (nor wanted to) but in my High School days I was able to drink a lot and still be the designated driver for my buddies. Maybe there is a gene that regulates alcohol clearing from the body or allows a quick tolerance to occur with only moderate drinking. I never considered him an alcoholic...we worked 6 days a week and never failed to pay the bills on time. He was a good provider and never was violent or abusive. I can't say he was an alcoholic....but he did have a drinking problem.

My late wife's ex was an alcoholic and their divorce was caused by his affliction and his abuse. Current DW was married to alcoholics and also experience abuse. Not saying there is a direct connection with alcoholics and abuse but I am sure there is a darn statistically significant correlation.

A guy who downs 12 beers in one night and seems "normal" may not be an alcoholic...but may have a very high tolerance for alcohol...question is how did he get this level of tolerance? He might like to drink and over the years his body just gets used to it and his effective alcohol level is much lower than expected so he acts normal because he is unaffected. It takes years to develop this level of tolerance. Does this mean he has a "problem"...not necessarily. If all else is good in his life he might just prefer beer to water or other drinks and his tolerance is a normal byproduct of this enjoyment of beer. Can't say I see anything wrong with liking beer over Coke or Pepsi as long as you can handle the alcohol.

I like beer and even make my own. I don't drink Coke or other soft drinks. I know I have a high tolerance since I have been drinking beer since I was 12 years old (best friend's Dad make beer and believe it was OK for kids drink as long as they acted normal).

Don't slap a label on someone too fast until you know the whole story.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!