Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is this an alcoholic or just a heavy drinker?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this an alcoholic or just a heavy drinker?

One of the neighbors came over last night and drank 12 Moosehead beers during the evening. Alcoholic? :confused:
Hard for me to judge as I can handle one beer or two on a very hot and humid day when you sweat it out fast. Lucky for me, I was born with such an allergy to alcohol that I pretty much stick to Shirley Temples...but hold that fruit!
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #2

Not sure if he is an alcoholic or not, but that sure is a large amount of alcohol to consume in one sitting. I think it is safe to assume he won't be ERing because if he drinks that much at home every day he won't have the funds.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #3

Well, it was New Year's Eve. Eons ago it wasn't uncommon for me to drink that much on that evening. Didn't make a habit of it though, and it's been a long time since then. If he does that more than once every other month or so then maybe he's got a problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
One of the neighbors came over last night and drank 12 Moosehead beers during the evening. Alcoholic? :confused:
Hard for me to judge as I can handle one beer or two on a very hot and humid day when you sweat it out fast. Lucky for me, I was born with such an allergy to alcohol that I pretty much stick to Shirley Temples...but hold that fruit!
My ex drank considerably more more beer than that EVERY day, plus Baileys, and Scotch on occasion. He still claimed he wasn't alcoholic. "It's just beer!" No comment except to say that I am so happy to be single again.

I think you can drink a whole lot in one evening, and if it is just on a few special occasions then you aren't an alcoholic.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd say that there is a good possibility. The thing with being an alcoholic though, is that it's not defined by consumption or frequency - you can drink 6 beers in one month and still be an alcoholic. It's defined by your actions, behaviors, and consequences which ensue after drinking, and what you do while you're off the booze. It's really like a personality disorder.
Pavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #6

His behavior? The son of a gun talked and acted normally, and then fell asleep snoring in a LazyBoy! Me...I'd be hanging my head on the ole porcelain chair after 1-1/2 beers...and light ones at that!
It was his acting so normal that made me wonder if the guy is an alcoholic. But maybe men can consume this much?
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's an amazing amount of liquid to consume at one sitting, beer, water or whatever! But, one episode doesn't give enough information about ongoing behaviors to determine if he is alcoholic or not.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #8

If its once in awhile no big deal.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The guy wanted to celebrate the New Year. By sticking to beer, his bladder limited his intake. I consumed a bottle of red wine and 2 glasses of champagne during a nice long dinner and some dancing over 5 hours. Drove home; sleeped soundly for 6 hours and am on my third coffee watching the Winter Classic.

But if I do that again in the next month or two, I would be worried.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good choice of beer!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The guy wanted to celebrate the New Year. By sticking to beer, his bladder limited his intake. I consumed a bottle of red wine and 2 glasses of champagne during a nice long dinner and some dancing over 5 hours. Drove home; sleeped soundly for 6 hours and am on my third coffee watching the Winter Classic.

But if I do that again in the next month or two, I would be worried.
You drove home??

I had dinner with friends and was not the DD. Between 7:30 pm and 2:30 am, I had four large glasses of Shiraz and one of champagne. There is no way I would have been fit to drive.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
His behavior? The son of a gun talked and acted normally, and then fell asleep snoring in a LazyBoy! Me...I'd be hanging my head on the ole porcelain chair after 1-1/2 beers...and light ones at that!
It was his acting so normal that made me wonder if the guy is an alcoholic.
Double yes.

Quote:
But maybe men can consume this much?
While it's hypothetically possible, just about everybody (but an alcoholic) would find that this much drinking interferes with their enjoyment of the event.

In the 1980s I worked with a senior petty officer whose spouse controlled his drinking in our homeport and who, when we were on the submarine, made himself too busy with work to go drinking. But one fateful day we pulled into Fort Liquorauderdale for liberty and he reacted badly to this unfamiliar (woo-hoo!) leisure-filled environment. His unleashed binge cost him a rank and a couple months' pay as well as the diagnosis that he was physically dependent on alcohol. The fact that he (and his spouse) were able to control it 99.9% of the time was beside the point, and his behavior sounds a lot like your neighbor's.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that he has built up a tolerance for alcohol.

I remember hearing someone say that in Ireland, you are considered alcoholic only if you outdrink your doctor.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I remember hearing someone say that in Ireland, you are considered alcoholic only if you outdrink your doctor.

But seriously though, as an Irish doctor.....tolerance for alcohol abuse is high (too high) in Ireland.

But even I think there is a significant risk your neighbour has a problem with alcohol. After all, it takes a lot of practice to drink 12 beers!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You drove home??

I had dinner with friends and was not the DD. Between 7:30 pm and 2:30 am, I had four large glasses of Shiraz and one of champagne. There is no way I would have been fit to drive.
I'll bet I have a 100 pounds on you. Plus I have a high metabolic rate so all that fluid gets out through the pores (in through the pours and out through the pores) especially with the dancing following midnight. Never felt the slightest bit tipsy. Never used the washroom.

(PS I would have had more trouble with 12 beer. 6 or 7 would have been no problem.)
Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #16

Not enough info.

Plenty of guys can go through 12 beers in a night. Heck, if it's a long night I could easily drink 12 beers.

You can't judge him on new years eve.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
drank 12 Moosehead beers during the evening
Not sure why this basic Q has not been posed: Did he drink 12 of your beers or was it BYOB?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

Plenty of guys can go through 12 beers in a night. Heck, if it's a long night I could easily drink 12 beers.
Yabbut Moosehead? Try it and you'll know something's wrong with him.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I found a blood alcohol level calculator on a defence lawyer's site.

BAC Calculator

For what it's worth, I modelled kcowan's alcohol intake last night and mine, based on 300 lbs and 200 lbs respectively. To my surprise, both of "us" came under the legal limit. But IMHO I would not have been safe in the driver's seat. I wouldn't have wandered all over the road, but I would have been slower to spot hazards and to react, for sure.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll tell you what, Orchidflower, post his picture and I'll tell you if I see him at the meetings.