Is This Insecure?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After getting a new tablet, I've put my old tablet to use in the front hall:

djXCBdR.png

It shows my inbox, upcoming calendar items, the date, time, and weather.

But if anyone were to break into my house, it would give them access to my Google account since it's always on.

Is that worth worrying about?

But if anyone were to break into my house, it would give them access to my Google account since it's always on.

How often do people break into your house?

I'd be more worried about relatives and friends visiting. Recently my young grandson learned how to tell Alexa to increase the volume to maximum. There's no way I'd give him access to any important accounts. Not even for a minute.

can you put a lock on it like with your phone - either requiring a code or fingerprint to swipe open?

can you put a lock on it like with your phone - either requiring a code or fingerprint to swipe open?

That's what I was thinking, you can usually customize the information that you display on the lock screen. Also, or instead, if the tablet supports face recognition you could use that so all you'd have to do is look at it and it would unlock.

You should also put some kind of remote wipe ability, which IIRC is native to iOS, but for Android and Windows you can use Prey. I've been a paid user for years and I'm very happy with it. It can also proactively alert you if the device leaves a zone that you define.

Last edited:
If you feel like you have to ask the question, you already know the answer.

+1 But, having said that I have my PC set to open with a click when I am logged on. When I go out for a few the PC will respond to any breakins = like your tablet. I don't worry about it because they can't get into my financial accounts. IIRC correctly, they will be prompted to enter the old password if they try to change my open Gmail settings so all they can do is read my mail -- BFD.

When I leave home I log out so if I have guests or the kids stop by, they have to log in to my Visitors account. I also have started logging out when the grand kids come over. My main concern there is that one of them will download something that will mess up my settings.

How often do people break into your house?

I'd be more worried about relatives and friends visiting. Recently my young grandson learned how to tell Alexa to increase the volume to maximum. There's no way I'd give him access to any important accounts. Not even for a minute.

Apparently Alexa will also fart if you ask, as I found out at our last xmas party when three young great nephews were there. :popcorn:

I suppose if it were stolen and not pw protected it could lead to many problems.

There is a way to set up for voice activation to lock/unlock. I havent tried that, but probably should look into it.

+1
+2

https://teachingforward.net/remotely-sign-out-from-gmail-google-drive/

This link gives you instructions on how to sign out of everything connected to your google account at once. GMAIL, DRIVE, YouTube. If the tablet were stolen in short order you would want to do this from another machine. We have a similar procedure for our corporate phones when they are lost or stolen. Except we actually remotely wipe those devices.

Do not underestimate these young'uns now a days. A couple years ago my granddaughter sitting 5' away to my side saw me enter my prime video passcode. A couple weeks later I got an email for a show she had just ordered. She was 6!

I found a solution: I have an app that will do something whenever charging stops. I tell it to run an app that locks the device. So, pick it up from the wireless charging stand and it locks.

I found a solution: I have an app that will do something whenever charging stops. I tell it to run an app that locks the device. So, pick it up from the wireless charging stand and it locks.

What app is that? I might have some need for triggering actions on my phone/tablet based on events like that.

-ERD50

I would think this would be pretty easy with IFTTT. I've created similar actions myself.

I looked at IFTTT (If This, Then That) some time back, and IIRC it didn't seem to have any connections to hardware states at that time. Either I missed that, or it has been added.

I still wonder if that is what T-Al used, hopefully he sees this later...

-ERD50

Simple solution. Go into settings for Security/Smart Lock and set your residence as a Trusted Place. Then if your tablet is removed from your residence, it will lock itself.

Heh, heh, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you, but YMMV.

When I'm leaving the house, logging off my "devices" has become as natural as locking the doors.

I did a factory reset, logged in to download a weather app, logged out. Now it just displays the day's weather and the time.

I have to remember to turn off my new tablet when we leave.

I have 2fa or u2f on financial accounts.

I did this just to have some use for the old tablet, but it turns out it's actually pretty nice to be able to glance at the weather each time we come down for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom