Join Early Retirement Today
Is this is emblematic of some kind of a problem?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Is this is emblematic of some kind of a problem?

Stan O'Neal walks away from Merrill Lynch with 161+ million. Is that fair to stockholders?

windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Executive compensation is obscene, IMO. The idea that execs and boards are doing things that are in the best interest of shareholders is quaint, but that's not what drives them.

If you want to make real money, become an exec of a public company. We passive investing schmucks get the leftovers. And sometimes, after dilution and this kind of compensation, there's not much left over.

Favorite ERF quote: "I'm not going to waste my time on someone who's more interested in being stubborn or obtuse or intolerant." -- Nords
Favorite ERF error message: "Sorry Nords is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her."
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ya think that's crazy, wait and see what ARod gets in his next contract for playing a game.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Not to defend the over compensated O'Neal or the dumbass Merrill Lynch board, but the 161 mil is a little different than the bonuses and deferred compensation packages we read about other fired CEO's walking away with. O'Neal walked away with stock options he had earned in prior years but had not yet exercised. I think it would be difficult to withdraw the options or change the associated rules relating to exercising them once they have been granted.

Edit: Oooops.... Part of the 161 mil was deferred compensation.

"his deferred compensation stands at $5.4 million, according to the company"
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
I find exec compensation to be totally ridiculous. But methinks that 161 millions keeps the 'climbers' crawling all over each other to get to the top of the crawdad bucket.

I'll keep my 40 hrs a week and bi-weakly pittance, thanks, instead of trying to hit the executive ranks lotto.
Diggin' my way to financial freedom, one buck-at-a-time
bow-tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Didn't Chevy replace the Emblematic with the Powerglide?
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
It is ridiculous, I'll never forget the night grandma said nobody should make over 100K a year (that one took a while to get past).
Some of these numbers are truly obscene and yes it is on the board. If the exec asks and they get then that's the deal. Key people can definetly make a difference now to the person doing the hiring guess how much (I mean accurately measure) and pay accordingly.
Me thinks 161M difference would be the exception not the rule.

I highjacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold - Bon Jovi
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote