Is this skipping in line?

Teaser-economics problem. Love it.

first observation: You will be last in line, no matter which line you chose. It only matters which line when another person comes after you.

second observation: what do the people in the longer line know that you don't know? The last person in the longer line must know that being in the second line, although longer, must be faster than the shorter line.

third observation: No one really cares what line you chose because you are the tail end charlie. The other people have already made their choice. It is only you, who has the decision.

For my time: I'd chose the longer line and ask the previous last guy, "why is the other line so short?":cool:

One of the nicer aspects of being older and retired, is that I don't need to get all upset by things like this. I'd just stand in the longer line and observe for a while to figure out if I need to switch to the shorter line, and meanwhile enjoy people watching or whatever.

So what if others get in front of me. It makes them temporarily less miserable with their insignificant little lives, and honestly it's not like I am in a race. :)

Gives me a chance to catch up on the tabloids!

Anyplace, like Costco, that I'm familiar with I'll go into the shortest line. If is someplace knew and there is like 10 people in one line and 2 in another I'll wait a few minutes before going into the shortest line to avoid jumping the queue.

This happens at work all the time, cafeteria cashier has lines on two sides, but people will queue up on just one side. I don't get it. I a
Ways go to the shorter line. It's more efficient for the cashier , for me, and for everyone else. The cashier can work faster with 2 lines...

I actually like Fry's system. One queue, FIFO (first in, first out) kind of system. When a cashier opens up, the light turns green, and the employee watching over the queue tells the next person what number register to go to.

And customers don't stand there with glazed looks on their faces not noticing what register they need to go to, because there's somebody there to tell them.

Simple. Effective. Efficient. I wish more places were like that.

+1. I don't understand why others don't like this system.

In the OP's scenario, I see no problem with going to the shorter line. Everyone has the same choice before they showed up.

What drives me nuts is when I am second in line with 6 behind me and a new line opens and the cashier says I will take whoever was next.....................and the people behind me jump into that line. I look at them and they avoid making eye contact........

In the OP's scenario, I see no problem with going to the shorter line. Everyone has the same choice before they showed up.

What drives me nuts is when I am second in line with 6 behind me and a new line opens and the cashier says I will take whoever was next.....................and the people behind me jump into that line. I look at them and they avoid making eye contact........

That...

I think that it was jumping in line... if there is no clear line in front of one window and a clear line in front of the other (kinda in the middle)... they are taking the 'next' customer... you jumped in line...

I have seen a theater the same way as the OP.... and also with the ropes going back and forth... the ropes at least tell you where the line is located and who is in front...

Back
Top Bottom