Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On this holiday weekend, the only day I could fly the flag was Saturday. Sunday was raining all day. Thought I would fly it today but raining again so it will stay inside. Not suposed to fly the flag in bad weather. Braumeister, when you lower your flag from half staff, do you first raise it to the top and then lower it? That's the proper way. My flag is very a very special one. It was flown on Mouint Suribachi at Iwo Jima. SIL, Marine top sergeant, had it done when he was stationed on Okinawa and got to take a trip to Iwo Jima. I've had it since 1993 and take very good care of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I do the correct procedure for raising and lowering the flag. Briskly to the top, then down to half-staff. The only time I really have to think about it is on Memorial Day, when the procedure is to only keep it at half-staff until noon, when it goes to the top again. On all other half-staff days, it stays there all day.

I've flown special flags at times in the past. One flew over the Capitol building, and another flew over the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. The problem is that they always use cotton flags for those special ones, and they don't last too long. I replace mine whenever they begin to show signs of fraying or fading.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... and another flew over the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. The problem is that they always use cotton flags for those special ones, and they don't last too long. I replace mine whenever they begin to show signs of fraying or fading.
A donation to the memorial association buys you as many of those as you need...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
A donation to the memorial association buys you as many of those as you need...
Can you give some more information on that?
Mine was given to me when I took the VIP tour of the memorial many years ago.
When I look at Browsing FLAGS I just see flags offered for various prices. Is that what you meant?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When I look at Browsing FLAGS I just see flags offered for various prices. Is that what you meant?
Simple as that! Our local Fleet Reserve Assn branch membership has volunteers do the colors detail on the Memorial. The flag-sale profits are split between the PHP & FRA. It's very busy over there.

Years ago the "members" of the Ford Island brig Correctional Custody Unit used to handle the colors detail for the UTAH Memorial, but the American flag is now permanently flown over that ship. (I'm not sure about the OKLAHOMA Memorial.) I guess there's not much of a demand for flags flown over the other Pearl Harbor memorials.

You could also make a $1000 donation to PHP to become a Platinum member, which would earn you the privilege of a "free" flag...

Now that the new visitor's center is open and the rehabbed theater will be open soon (grand opening on 7 Dec of course), merchandise profits will mostly endow the Memorial's education & outreach programs. It's become hugely popular to have survivors do a VTC with schoolkids or to fund grants for teachers (American & Japanese) to visit the Memorial for history programs. Profits will also support preservation of the remaining "WWII Valor in the Pacific" memorials in the Marianas.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote