Is your Flag up?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I fly the American flag daily at my home (when I am home), but I wonder how many folks here will even be flying the flag on Independence day tomorrow? Seems like a simple thing to do, but I rarely see anyone in our area with a flag out. Hope it changes tomorrow.

Several folks around here signed up with the flag-posting service from the Boy Scouts. For $35 a year, they will put a large US flag on a pole in your front yard on 7 holidays.

We have had several flags but unfortunately the wind is so strong at our house that they just do not last .

I'm there. Only decision is to go with the Besty Ross or the 50 star. I fly one or the other.

I fly mine everyday. It is a hold over from my dad who was an immigrant and I think flew the flag to reassure the neighbors.

We've flown ours continuously since 9/11/2001.

I guess in a couple weeks we'll be able to buy the cheap replacement flags at the after-4th sales.

The colors are struck for the night, but they'll be back out tomorrow. Nothing fancy here--just a simple bracket on the side of the house. I normally fly the flag on July 4th, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Election Day. I'd say about 20% of the homes in our area will have a flag out tomorrow.
I'll also walk about 300 feet to the main street in our town and watch the local parade. It's a good chance to say hello to the neighbors, enjoy the sun, and to appreciate and reflect.

Our (free, voluntary) neighborhood association puts out small flags for the 1000+ homes in the neighborhood. It's a nice touch.

The flag up on all US holidays here.

Happy Independence Day to all my US friends!

You bet!
My flag flies proudly atop a 16 foot flagpole near my front door.

It's out there 24/7, with halogen floodlights on it during the hours of darkness.

The only time I touch it is on the occasions when it needs to go to half-staff, and then I follow the protocol, or when it needs to be replaced due to wind-induced fraying.

Flying the flag gives me a good feeling, probably due to my 21 years wearing a military uniform.

In flagrant disregard for the strict HOA rules here, our flag is [-]flying[/-] [-]hanging[/-] suspended from our balcony railing.

Last edited:
We've flown ours continuously since 9/11/2001.

My Dad began flying the flag when I was in Vietnam ('68/'69) and I picked up the habit from him, I guess. When he sold the family house and moved into a retirement community, he gave me his old flag and pole. I flew that flag for several years and have replaced it a number of times, but I still have Dad's flag pole which has been outdoors almost 50 years!

You bet!
My flag flies proudly atop a 16 foot flagpole near my front door.

It's out there 24/7, with halogen floodlights on it during the hours of darkness.

The only time I touch it is on the occasions when it needs to go to half-staff, and then I follow the protocol, or when it needs to be replaced due to wind-induced fraying.

Flying the flag gives me a good feeling, probably due to my 21 years wearing a military uniform.

Well done! I love your avatar btw.:blush:

On this holiday weekend, the only day I could fly the flag was Saturday. Sunday was raining all day. Thought I would fly it today but raining again so it will stay inside. Not suposed to fly the flag in bad weather. Braumeister, when you lower your flag from half staff, do you first raise it to the top and then lower it? That's the proper way. My flag is very a very special one. It was flown on Mouint Suribachi at Iwo Jima. SIL, Marine top sergeant, had it done when he was stationed on Okinawa and got to take a trip to Iwo Jima. I've had it since 1993 and take very good care of it.

Yes, I do the correct procedure for raising and lowering the flag. Briskly to the top, then down to half-staff. The only time I really have to think about it is on Memorial Day, when the procedure is to only keep it at half-staff until noon, when it goes to the top again. On all other half-staff days, it stays there all day.

I've flown special flags at times in the past. One flew over the Capitol building, and another flew over the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. The problem is that they always use cotton flags for those special ones, and they don't last too long. I replace mine whenever they begin to show signs of fraying or fading.

... and another flew over the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor. The problem is that they always use cotton flags for those special ones, and they don't last too long. I replace mine whenever they begin to show signs of fraying or fading.
A donation to the memorial association buys you as many of those as you need...

A donation to the memorial association buys you as many of those as you need...

Can you give some more information on that?
Mine was given to me when I took the VIP tour of the memorial many years ago.
When I look at Browsing FLAGS I just see flags offered for various prices. Is that what you meant?

When I look at Browsing FLAGS I just see flags offered for various prices. Is that what you meant?
Simple as that! Our local Fleet Reserve Assn branch membership has volunteers do the colors detail on the Memorial. The flag-sale profits are split between the PHP & FRA. It's very busy over there.

Years ago the "members" of the Ford Island [-]brig[/-] Correctional Custody Unit used to handle the colors detail for the UTAH Memorial, but the American flag is now permanently flown over that ship. (I'm not sure about the OKLAHOMA Memorial.) I guess there's not much of a demand for flags flown over the other Pearl Harbor memorials.

You could also make a $1000 donation to PHP to become a Platinum member, which would earn you the privilege of a "free" flag...

Now that the new visitor's center is open and the rehabbed theater will be open soon (grand opening on 7 Dec of course), merchandise profits will mostly endow the Memorial's education & outreach programs. It's become hugely popular to have survivors do a VTC with schoolkids or to fund grants for teachers (American & Japanese) to visit the Memorial for history programs. Profits will also support preservation of the remaining "WWII Valor in the Pacific" memorials in the Marianas.

Back
Top Bottom