Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope that god*amn storm gets moving and that those affected near the Gulf can soon get back to their lives.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #22

Yeah the storm is barely crawling. So the winds while not wicked strong, 80mph that's a low end Cat 1, are constant in the area and the rain just continues to pour down. I hope it speeds up once over land and gets out of there and down grades to a tropical storm.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every cloud has a sliver lining, especially in a time of drought.

This blog has some good information on the benefits of tropical storms.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

Of course, if one's house and home is destroyed by the storm, that is little consolation. That is why we must stick together and help each other at times like this.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #24

It's not raining yet in west central MS, it is more overcast now.

It appears to be tracking further west with each update. Interesting that ECMWF ( european ) model seemed to be on target early on. Really has slowed down.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Glad I now live in Missouri on a high hill. The old spot in Lake Catherine(New Orleans east) outside the levee is well under water. My Facebook friends in Slidell and north of the lake are ok.

Good luck everyone.

heh heh heh -
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always preferred Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood's version of "Jackson".

This came out about 1967 when I was a short timer in the USMC. This was my song. Some of my fellow Marines insisted that "Jackson" referred to Jackson, Tennessee, rather than Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Wow - Isaac really pounded New Orleans - all that wind, rain and rising water! Talk about an extended visit with high winds! And it looks like it's going to pound Baton Rouge next!

W2R - you did good going on your road trip. And congrats on having emptied your fridge - I'm impressed!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #28

I hate this for our neighbors to the south. Yet, our weather folks are excited about the rain it may bring to AR. We are under "exceptional drought". Good comes out of bad?
It is not worth lives lost, but still we are hopeful for the rain.

A quandary of emotions.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #29

It has been raining since about 2 pm yesterday in West Central Mississippi (aka the land mass between Mobile and New Orleans). Power went off for a couple of hours this morning. MIL had power out since 1 am and a tree limb hit her roof and the roof is now leaking.

Dog is wet.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The amount of water surge, rainfall and persistence of the storm over days of tidal cycles (each high tide raises the water level back up) has made this a very bad storm for SE LA and coastal MS. The Biloxi and Tchoutacobouff rivers are very high right now. Power outage is bad, salt water in your house, however, is a disaster.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We finally got a load of rain this morning. Some tornado warnings, but no hits that I know of. Not raining at the moment, but looks like some more off and on for this afternoon. I'm ready for it to get out of here.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Just posted an update on another thread, but it looks like our area may get a major flooding event from a dam breaking on the Tangipahoa River. First reports were that it had broken; latest reports is that it has serious damage, is in imminent danger of failure, but is not leaking yet. Whole area is currently being evacuated (50,000+ people). While I am worried about how the house held up through the storm,vis-a-vis tree damage. I expect (hope?) that I'm high enough on the bluff to avoid the surge. Glad we evacuated early.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

It must be so scary to hear these updates but have no way of knowing exactly what is happening to your home . Stay safe everybody !
Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

The hardest part of evacuatin is not knowing what you're goin to return to..... Right now I'm running full-tilt-boogie trying to keep DW from going into the "lions and Tigers and BEARS! Oh MY!" mode. (And pretty much failing miserably, to be honest.)

And thanks to everyone for keeping their fingers crossed for all of us.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
The hardest part of evacuatin is not knowing what you're goin to return to..... Right now I'm running full-tilt-boogie trying to keep DW from going into the "lions and Tigers and BEARS! Oh MY!" mode. (And pretty much failing miserably, to be honest.)

And thanks to everyone for keeping their fingers crossed for all of us.
Hi Ellis,
I would like to send you a magic wand for those "lions and tigers and bears!" We cannot know what you all are going through. Just know that you have millions of people pulling for you and you community.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Aren't good neighbors wonderful! One thing I will say for the aftermath of a big storm, you really get to know your neighbors. Maybe it's the "foxhole buddy" syndrome, but it really did bring our neighborhood together like nothig else.

Last go around, we were without electricity, but the neighborhood had LOTS of trees down. I had a big lime tree, another neighbor had big bags of ice, another had a blender that ran on 12 volts, and we all had rum. Instant daquaris for the block party. Let me share one learning, tho - chainsaws BEFORE daquaris is really the best order. Seems obvious now, but remember - it was REALLY hot!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I also talked to the retired fireman who lives on the other side of my back fence. He called me to tell me that my double front doors blew open, despite being locked with deadbolts and slide bolts at top and bottom. They wouldn't close again, but he is going to work on getting them closed today. Bless his heart. In return, I'm letting him run an extension cord to his house since he has no power.
You are so lucky to have such a great neighbor. And he's lucky to have you! This is simply wonderful - the silver lining to the cloud. Sometimes hard times bring out the worst in people, in this case, the BEST
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We was in the lucky group in Pearl River which is about 35 miles NE of New Orleans. We lost our power early Wednesday morning and got it back last night around & PM. I bought a new generator just in case and was glad I did. It powered our two refrigerators, one freezer, the PC setup complete with monitor, router and modem plus a small TV. Just about every house in our neighborhood had generators of some type.

We never had any concerns about flooding. But there are thousands that was flooded and are still being flooded. Some areas did not flood during Katrina. Surprisingly I had ATT internet and Directv the whole time. I also had an antenna in my attic in case I lost Directv.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #39

I hope everyone affected by the storm is safe.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad everything is back on. It is going to be a hot one today. I feel for the ones that do not have power and air conditioning.