Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We made it home last night. House seems to have weathered the storm. No pwer. but the generator is working well.

Took us 10 hours to get here, and if we had waited another hour or so probably could not have gotten here because of flooding closing all the roads all around us.

Nice to be home

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll bet after leaving town during an event like this and coming home puts new meaning to "there is no place like home". Glad most of you made it back and that things aren't too bad.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #43

Isaac stumbled up this way and we are now in the eye. I'm glad the rain is here and not down Cajun way.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Folks I know in Palm Lake and Bayou Bon Fuca area of greater Slidell have water in their houses - I'm guessing cause none have emailed or posted on facebook yet.

Rain here north of Kansas City is nothing unusual except perhaps it helps relieve the drought.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, it looks like most members from this area have fared pretty well considering the circumstances. I last posted here on Monday night saying that I was right in the path of the storm. Well, when we learned more about how this storm was going to behave we left too.
We cleaned the refrigerator and took some freezer stuff and left on Tuesday morning. We went to North Louisiana to a home we own there thinking that our chances for being comfortable were greatly increased by heading there.
As it turns out the eye of the storm went over our home north of New Orleans and very close to where we were in North Louisiana. That was good for us because the worst of the rain bands were northeast of us in Mississippi. We didn't lose power up there and were able to keep up with events through the weather channel and CNN.
We returned home today to a messy yard but nothing that a chain saw and a little sweat can't handle. There were some people that will really suffer for a long time over this storm just as others did during Katrina. I feel for them and hope everyone the best.
Elliswyatt and W2r, glad to see that you guys made out ok.
Let me also add that unlike last time, I don't have to worry about going back to w**k. I would probably be there right now because I know they are in full "start-up mode".......without me
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad you are OK, dessert. That storm was so unnerving, especially since it was so unpredictable for so long.

I know what you mean about w*rk! I am so glad to be retired, now, especially after hurricanes.
Both Katrina and Gustav were just very stressful because as you know all of these refineries and chemical plants were shut down and losing BIG$$$$$ for each day they were down. I can really enjoy the fact that I don't have to handle that stress anymore. All I have to do is clean up around here so I have already offered to help others who need it more than I do. That's retirement freedom.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Both Katrina and Gustav were just very stressful because as you know all of these refineries and chemical plants were shut down and losing BIG$$$$$ for each day they were down. I can really enjoy the fact that I don't have to handle that stress anymore. All I have to do is clean up around here so I have already offered to help others who need it more than I do. That's retirement freedom.
Yes, I know - - that is what I meant, and it is so nice to not have to deal with that after hurricanes. It's bad enough to deal with damage at home without being sent away from home to deal with high stress hurricane team stuff. I had a similar situation and it is awful. Retirement is much better.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Hope the rain is helpful in some of the drought-striken places up north.
We have been getting a great dose for two days and a little more today, so we are much less parched than we have been since May and you can slap me if I whine again (until the blizzards arrive) ;-D

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
We have been getting a great dose for two days and a little more today, so we are much less parched than we have been since May and you can slap me if I whine again (until the blizzards arrive) ;-D
That is great! And no, you haven't been whining. I don't like drought either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Yipee!! As of 4pm, we now have power. Let there be light, and there was!

Talked with the lineman, and, according to him, everybody in the Parish (that's "County", for the non-Louisianians out there) now has power. Which means.....depending on how you look at it, either I was the last one to get power, or (my preferred option) the outages are now over for everyone and we can get back to normalcy.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

It was sort of interesting. Had a nice converstaion with the lineman, who apologized for having taken so long to get to me! After all the long hours and hard work he'd been doing the last week - talk about gracious. I told him that, being the last house on the grid, I wasn't surpised it took a while to get to me, but he was having none of it.

It's definately a different culture in the south.........and I like it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #52

Well congratulations EllisWyatt on getting your power back. I know how you are feeling.
I saw a new word being used on facebook yesterday and I wanted to tell you and W2R about it. Seems the three of us went on a "hurrication" last week. I do believe there is no explanation required on this one.
I can do without another hurrication for a long time to come.