Join Early Retirement Today

ISP data useage surprise
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ISP data useage surprise

Never paid attention to my internet bill before, but this AM, received a warning that I had used 90% of my limit of one terrabyte. Didn't realize that I had a limit... my bad. Anyway, I think I know why. Last week had kids and grand kids here for a 6 day visit. They had a ball... watching movies etc on their Ipods and phones... almost 24/7.

On going to the IPS website, I found that my usage for Jan. was 300Gb, Feb, 200GB, Mar. 350... and thru today, the 27th, 900GB. There are some special dispensations for going over, but after 2 "freebie months," there's a charge of $10/50GB.

I seem to remember something about an FCC ruling a while back, so I expect that's what is was.

At the present time, don't see any problem, but can see this as a warning that the days of "free" are limited.

Sooo... a question for those who have or will be cord cutters.... "Have you checked your ISP limits and data usage? "

How to avoid excess charges?

Or.... am I the last to know about this?

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Comcast limit here used to be 300GB/month or 350GB/month with higher (but still not unlimited) plans. It went up to 1TB last year I believe. The limits were only in select areas, I'm not sure if that has changed though.

exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

You're not alone, I didn't realize my ISP (Cox) had data limits but just checked and it's also 1TB. Don't think I have too much to worry about, the most I've used so far this year is 58GB for a month.
zinger1457 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

It's a good point - many providers do have limits and I could see running into issues if you are a cord-cutter who watches a lot of TV/movies/etc. If more people cut cords, this will be one of the ways "they" compensate. There is never a free lunch.... at least not for any extended period of time.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
So the real issue is the kids and grand-kids all with their noses buried in each device, each streaming their own world of entertainment, for 6 days.

If it's a real concern, you can simply unplug your modem.
On some modems you can set them to turn off the internet during some hours, or on the "guest" bandwidth you can limit the usage per day.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So the real issue is the kids and grand-kids all with their noses buried in each device, each streaming their own world of entertainment, for 6 days.

If it's a real concern, you can simply unplug your modem.
On some modems you can set them to turn off the internet during some hours, or on the "guest" bandwidth you can limit the usage per day.

If I could have the kids here all the time, I'd gladly get a second account. Wasn't a complaint or a worry about the cost, but more of a question as to whether others knew about limits, and how much bandwidth they use.

We use our Roku freely for movies, so even the 350Gb used in March was just a fraction of the limit. It would be interesting to know how much bandwidth each type of download was using... ie. movies, news videos, Utube, etc. , and how much more bandwidth is used for HD vs lower quality output.

As I see more and more additions to ROKU channels. (many like XTV which offers many new movies) I can't help but wonder who will be paying for these freebies. While Amazon and Netflix and Hulu own the market today, they will have to eventually come to face to face competition with "FREE". Who will pay when the market tightens?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
"Have you checked your ISP limits and data usage? "
As a "tried that and failed" cord cutter, I know we have no data limits. Our limit is speed.

Dreamin' of streamin'...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our ISP switched to data limits years ago (didn't realize when we "upgraded" once, they instituted it). The limits were never a problem, but we were close a few months. Ended up upgrading for more speed plus 3 times the data and we haven't approached the limit. The last year or two, they changed the plan again so there are no overages, they just throttle you back or give you an option to upgrade to a faster/more data level.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Comcast limit here used to be 300GB/month or 350GB/month with higher (but still not unlimited) plans. It went up to 1TB last year I believe. The limits were only in select areas, I'm not sure if that has changed though.
I was in that area. Never had a problem staying below 300 GB. I will admit, once they increased the cap to 1 TB I quit managing my usage. Most months I fall between 400-500 GB. Some of the increase is changing from Netflix to Prime. With Netflix I had the cheap SD plan. Prime is mostly HD and eats up more data.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I seriously don't know if we have a limit or not.
I suppose we are not near it, since we only stream netflix a few hours each night, and normal web browsing about 4 hours per day x 2.

Just checked the wow site:
"WOW! Internet keeps you connected. With no data caps and faster speeds for a better value"
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Used 130 GB so far this month.... DW does watch on her IPad...

From the times that I have looked, our most data did not even hit 200, so the limit is a non-issue to me...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote