IT experts: anyone familiar with slow DDE problems?

Dang CR, it's fun to watch you go agro on a problem! If only our IT support was so dilligent!

Laurence said:
Dang CR, it's fun to watch you go agro on a problem! If only our IT support was so dilligent!

just killing time -I'm try to avoid having to debug a peoplesoft cobol program :p

Cobol doesnt need debugging. The code was designed so that regular managers can read it and fix it.

What you need is a regular manager.

Go ahead and go for the joke about giving yours some fiber. ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
What you need is a regular manager.

Where I work we only have pretend technical managers making disgusting salaries. They couldn't debug themselves out a of paper bag if their life depended on it. I'm not bitter or cynical, nope not me...

LOL! Great, I read that and looked at your avatar, now I will have Barney's cousin, "Boppin' Banana" dancing in my head singing, "I'm not bitter, nope not me!". Your avatar is killin' me, but in a good way. :LOL:

Laurence said:
LOL! Great, I read that and looked at your avatar, now I will have Barney's cousin, "Boppin' Banana" dancing in my head singing, "I'm not bitter, nope not me!". Your avatar is killin' me, but in a good way. :LOL:

Glad you like it! I was almost tempted to bring God Warrior back today. >:D

Just being funny...way back when management was concerned that they had all these technical people running around and writing code they didnt understand, so a big part of the original Cobol design goals was to make it possible for non-programmers such as supervisors, managers and users, to read and understand the code themselves.

That **** sure worked out really well, huh? ;)

AND NO GOD WARRIOR. I made the boob lady go away. She's been replaced by "Gabe Making Snoofy Face"

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Just being funny...way back when management was concerned that they had all these technical people running around and writing code they didnt understand, so a big part of the original Cobol design goals was to make it possible for non-programmers such as supervisors, managers and users, to read and understand the code themselves.

That **** sure worked out really well, huh? ;)

AND NO GOD WARRIOR. I made the boob lady go away. She's been replaced by "Gabe Making Snoofy Face"

I can't believe in the year 2006 I'm futzing with Cobol crap. It's bizarre. PeopleSoft has this pretty web architecture but deep in the bowels of the application server lies Cobol. It's the workhorse behind Global and North America Payroll.

We like Gabe's snoofy face!

I have to post a cute picture at some point, Tori likes to grab our face with her hands and make a face like she's exerting all her energy to crush our head...wait, maybe she's just seeing at what point she can and then start bossing us around...wait, she already bosses us around... :confused:

Yeah, you figured that out too? ;)

I'm not sure who's in charge around here, but it definitely isnt me and my wife says she's pretty sure it isnt her either...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Yeah, you figured that out too? ;)

I'm not sure who's in charge around here, but it definitely isnt me and my wife says she's pretty sure it isnt her either...

Oooh, my heart goes out to those with wee children. Enjoy the cutie faces now as it will turn quickly into a 13 year old scowl and growl in no time. I swear children should just bypass the teen years right from 11 years old to 18, overnight. My youngest is 17 1/2, free at last, free at last.......

cube_rat said:
I can't believe in the year 2006 I'm futzing with Cobol crap. It's bizarre. PeopleSoft has this pretty web architecture but deep in the bowels of the application server lies Cobol. It's the workhorse behind Global and North America Payroll.
Hey, bite your tongue and keep banking those checks!

In 1999 my sister-in-law was given a laptop, a company ISP account, and told to stay home until she'd fixed her company's Y2K COBOL issues. My BIL the CPA still has a goofy smile on his face when he tells the story about the W-2 she brought in that year.

COBOL is her ticket to ER...

I wonder what Microsoft processes their payroll on.

soupcxan, I've seen similar issues. I believe they were related to network file redirectors. Whenever a file open is needed, there are several "redirectors" to process through to figure out where the file is. DDE just multiplies the open requests.

For example, we have NetWare in my building, but most of the company has migrated to Active Directory. So they push down settings through enterprise management software beneficial to the AD network; this often has the side effect of bumping out my NetWare settings.

In my particular case it's usually a DNS search suffix (division.company.com and nw.company.com) that got replaced with AD search suffixes (corp.ds.company.com and corp.company.com). That changes, and then all sorts of little things start breaking.

Yeah, I know you said the files are local, but it seems like sometimes the redirectors are run through, anyway, and if they're timing out on the network it may be slowing you down.

Re-check all your settings for any network access. Prefered server, DNS search suffix, workstation DNS suffix, DNS servers, WINS servers, etc. There's a place where you can re-order the redirector search, but I don't recall offhand where that is.

We found out that Windows will throw users into the "debuggers" group for local security. Putting the user back into local administrator group seemed to help the DDE issues and general slowness.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom