Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

It happened , without warning. The "Sr. Discount"
Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It happened , without warning. The "Sr. Discount"

Drive thru at jack in the box. I did not ask for the Sr. discount ,I wasn't being slow in ordering or picky , etc. Salt N pepper scruffy 3 day beard . nope , I have looked like that for years......Then the act that did it. Handing over exact change ! Then the asst. manager said ., "oh, forgot something" , and I got change back from exact change .

Driving away I looked at the receipt. "Sr. Discount"
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It happened to me recently at the drugstore, where I went on a weekday, dressed casually. The clerk asked if I was a senior. I replied that it depends on the definition. Apparently it's 55 at the drugstore. And it was seniors day. I got a 10% discount. Yay!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It happened to me recently at the drugstore, where I went on a weekday, dressed casually. The clerk asked if I was a senior. I replied that it depends on the definition. Apparently it's 55 at the drugstore.

It happened to me many years ago at a pancake breakfast, where I went on a weekend, dressed casually. The clerk asked if I was a senior. I replied that it depends on the definition. Apparently it's 65 at the pancake breakfast.

I was in my mid-40s. "Do I look that old?" I asked. "Um...No," he saved, but you could have been a very young-looking 65."

It's over a decade later, and I still don't know whether to be flattered or embarrassed.

Tyro
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Drive thru at jack in the box. I did not ask for the Sr. discount ,I wasn't being slow in ordering or picky , etc. Salt N pepper scruffy 3 day beard . nope , I have looked like that for years......Then the act that did it. Handing over exact change ! Then the asst. manager said ., "oh, forgot something" , and I got change back from exact change .

Driving away I looked at the receipt. "Sr. Discount"
My first and so far only senior discount came from Jack in the Box a couple of months. I had change already handy but I went went to pay they announced a lower price. I asked how come and they said senior discount. So somewhat dumbfounded I just handed them a $10 bill and got my change. I am not sure if I should be happy or sad since I am 53.

I guess the reason Jack in the Box gives it at 55 is because if you eat enough of their food you won't make it till 65.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #5

My first time was at a local mom 'n pop restaurant where the age is 55. I had mixed feelings about that - discounts are good, being considered old not so much.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a free donut from DD (Dunkin Donuts, not Dear Daughter) for flashing my AARP card. Guess that counts.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my first "Senior Coffee" at age 38 (predominately grey hair since age 30)... The young lady asked me if I wanted a Senior Coffee (I thought it was a new blend they were selling). I told her I would try it. My receipt explained what she meant ... Did not get my next discount until around age 50...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You never forget your first time: Burger King coffee...I asked she had undercharged me. "no, I gave you the Sr discount". (the little brat!)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I could deal with the senior discount very nicely. At 58, I didn't know it was 55 anywhere. Hmmm....Is there a website that lists them for national chains of all sorts?
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
I could deal with the senior discount very nicely. At 58, I didn't know it was 55 anywhere. Hmmm....Is there a website that lists them for national chains of all sorts?
Here's an old thread on senior discounts.... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...0-a-62398.html

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I remember the first time I was made aware of such a thing. Sometime in the 80's, my Boss and I went to a fast food place for lunch. He was about ten years younger than me. Neither one of us was close to 55 yo however. After I paid my tab, the cashier asked him if he qualified for the "Senior Discount." My Boss "lost it." I couldn't believe how upset he was... and it lasted all day.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #12

My first time at a craft store, where they gave an Experience Credit (age 50 and up).
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

DH, who will be 65 this year and has been gray-haired for years, enjoys asking for the senior discount mostly because he is cheap but also because occasionally he has to show his drivers license to qualify, recently to prove he was older than 50.

His increasing curmudgeonliness tends to belie his youthful appearance, on the other hand.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind being given the Senior Discount if it is 50 or 55. When they ask and it is for 60... then I get worried and think about either shaving my gray beard or getting a little "Just for Men" coloring.

DW on the other hand looks 10-15 years younger than 55, and folks never believe her when she asks for the Senior Discount. They are always shocked to find out her age.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As of yet, I haven't been offered a senior discount, however I asked for one. It was my understanding Whataburger gave free drinks to people 55+. I asked the young lady behind the counter if they had free drinks for seniors...she said 'yes'. She asked DH if he would like a senior drink as well. He said, 'ok'. (he's about four years older than yours truly)

I held my laughter in until we got to a table. Then I let it roll. Something about my first discount and the look on DH's face when she asked him if he wanted one too.

My first senior discount...March 12, 2013...11:30 a.m. The reason I know this is because I kept the receipt.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I got one in a McDonald's when I was still in my 40s. I was feeling bad and tired, but I still felt awful about the discount. I was even with one teenage son and one grade school age son.

However, that blow to my pride has been erased. A few weeks ago, and over 25 years later, I had to prove my age on a city bus where the senior age is 65. We are required to carry a card, but I have not been asked to show it in at least 5 years. To make it even better, she said "you just don't look like a senior."

Ha
Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Got a free donut from DD (Dunkin Donuts, not Dear Daughter) for flashing my AARP card. Guess that counts.
I've been flashing that dang thing for years and haven't gotten squat yet. Usually, they say it's not good enough -- have to show drivers license for proof of age -- so far, it's always over 65.

I remember getting "proofed" when I was younger. At first it was a challenge, then it was a compliment (looking younger than 21). Now, it's offputting...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Too you young to get the senior discount question, but have reached the point where I don't get carded nearly as often as I used to.
tkopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
At lunchtime ~Burger King~, when I was about age 50 (18 yrs ago!!!) I got a Whopper and large drink and the teen-gal charged me .99 for the Whopper and .25 for the "senior drink" that I did not order. From that day forward my lunch cost was $1.24.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #20

I always forget to ask for the discount. I was extremely happy to get a senior discount at age 55 at McDonalds. We both like their coffee on car trips and the senior coffee price which varies from location to location. My wife doesn't like being old. I love it. With my medical history I was slated to be a goner by age 45 but now I am 59 and extremely happy and overjoyed to be here! I can't wait 'til I'm 90 years old!

Mike D., soon to have only eight toes!

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote