It’s Oscar time

gbstack

Recycles dryer sheets
Which of the following movies do you think should win Best Picture? Any must see movies on the list?

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

I think Revenant is likely to win although I am hoping Spotlight will win.

We try to see most best picture nominees in the theater. I have seen all except Revenant (hope to catch it this week) this year. I liked Spotlight and Room. The others were good too but not great. Mad Max is not my genre type.

Is anyone surprised the Martian is on the list at all? I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Spotlight

And the one that surprises me being on the list at all is Mad Max.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I only saw The Big Short, Bridge of Spies and The Martian. I am very surprised that Mad Max: Fury Road is on the list... the trailer looked horrible and one of my kids went to it and said it sucked.

That said, I really enjoyed The Martian and thought the story was unique and Matt Damon gave a great performance so that would be my vote.

Which of the following movies do you think should win Best Picture? Any must see movies on the list?

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

I've seen Big Short, Revenant, Martian, and Brooklyn. Of those, I guess Revenant or Martian. Probably Revenant will win since DiCaprio is in it, and he wins everything, right? I must admit that although I usually find DiCaprio kind of untalented, I liked him In Revenant.

Probably Revenant will win since DiCaprio is in it, and he wins everything, right?.

Believe or not, DeCabrio has never won an Oscar although he has been nominated several times...

From the ones I saw I think Revenant was the best. I also liked the Martian but thought it was really strange that it was nominated for Best Picture by the Golden Globes under the Comedy category. There were some humorous lines in the movie but a comedy:confused:

I would go with The Martian for Best Movie. Spotlight is my second choice. I'd go with Leo for Best Actor.

Watched the Revenant on the TV screen.
Watched all the way through, unfortunately, without closed captions, I had no idea what the actors were saying. Aside from the gore, the confused story line, the illogical and impossible situation, the discontinuity, and the number of characters who were killed, but lived to fight another day... The absolute stupidity of one scene being shown in waist deep snow, at the same time and in the same place where horses and riders were walking on top of the snow...(obviously the writer has never seen or experienced snow), the background music, which was nothing but nerve tingling discordant screeches, and despite the fact that the bear mauling injuries of DeCaprio showed in different body locations in ever other scene...

...despite all of that, fans of WWE, doubtless found the movie nirvana.

I have edited my review, to shorten and make it less acerbic. YMMV :LOL:

Last edited:
I saw Brooklyn in the movie theater and enjoyed it. I saw Mad Max Fury Road on HBO here at home and hated it. No idea who will get the best movie Oscar.

Have seen 5 out of 8 of the nominees.. Of those, Spotlight wins my vote although Revenant will probably take it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I suspect a high correlation between those who care about the Oscars & those who dropped cable.

I saw Mad Max at the movies, at the end DH and I were stunned at how terrible we both thought it was having read the rave reviews...Haven't seen any of the rest yet.

A three-hour single-issue lecture/haranguing. Funny (and appropriate) at first, but grating and gratuitous after that. I finally turned off the pity-party.

Last edited:
As a semiretired newspaper journalist I was pleased to see Spotlight get the nod. In addition to its compelling story line, it also delivered a realistic depiction of a big-city newsroom from the turn of the 21st century (boy, how times have changed in just 15 years).

This was Michael Keaton's second turn in a role as a newspaper editor, BTW. I was a little surprised that he wasn't nominated for best supporting actor instead of Mark Ruffalo, since Ruffalo got top billing in the film.

Back
Top Bottom