Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Here's what one 67 year old man did when he had problems with a transaction at the drive thru.

Actually my lab would be chapped if I didn't go to the bank drive thru every now and then. They always give him dog biscuits.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't cash checks too often anymore, but a few times per month I get one. For some odd reason my employer has direct deposit for salary, but still issues checks for our monthly expense reimbursement.

The tellers at my bank know me by name and are very nice. Cute too.

Only takes them less than a minute to deposit and/or cash my check. Rarely a line either as most transactions are now happening elsewhere other than by teller.

Ohio INTJ ENG ER Hopeful
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am a dinosaur. You know, one of those animals who was crawling across the land on his belly 65 years ago. I think I have adapted reasonably well, but I still like going to the brick and mortar bank to cash the occasional check (overpayment of an insured medical claim, refund of stuff purchased for the church or club, rebates, etc.). I'll occasionally use an ATM for a withdrawal, but not if there is a teller at hand. It gives me a chance to have a "presence" with the bank - just in case, some day there is an issue I need to talk to a "human" about. Maybe they don't know me by name when I walk in, but they know I "belong". So any questions I have might well be treated with more urgency than a first-time visitor who's lost a $5,000 check within the bowels of their ATM system or in the "ether" when they "texted" a check or whatever humans do now of days. Also, it gives me an excuse to check my balance - with a human being who can figure out why we don't match up if there is a significant discrepancy.

Those of you who have gained experience (and more importantly, confidence IN) the modern forms of banking - please pat yourselves on the back. My claws don't reach back there like a human's do.

Oh, and by the way, it usually takes less than a minute to cash or deposit a check at my local branch or my Mainland CU - if you don't count the occasional waiting-line time. YMMV
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
I go inside the local bank oh, maybe once a year if that. Everything else is either ATM or online. And the credit union we do the bulk of our banking with is 75 miles away. I haven't been there for over 12 years.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
Meekie, you need to contact tech support for your bank and maybe clean the camera in your phone.
I have never had this problem and I use my iPhone for deposits to Schwab, Bank of America, and I think on occasion suntrust for my dad in law.
Damn it is a good thing you folks are retired if you are spending all day hanging around a bank branch.
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #26
It's been a while since I have deposited a check at the bank but it did seem to take a long time and I wondered what all the typing was about! When we moved to WV, we kept our BOA checking account even though there aren't any local branches near us- they finally got a mobile app for depositing checks and I'd never go back. We received a $12 rebate check the other day that on the back side, looks like a post card and the mobile app won't take this check. Guess I'll have to look up the address to mail it.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
I probably make a visit to a bank about once a week. But then again, being a Treasurer/trustee for several organizations, got four checking accounts with constant check input/outputs. It's what keeps me busy while the boys are in school!
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have always done my few check deposits by snail mail.

I always get cash via ATM.

I have actually not entered a bank of mine (and I have several) in this century.

However, there are uses for having a local bank (Medallion guarantee, large cash transactions).

kramer is offline   Reply With Quote