It's Bush's Fault, But of course

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

A great libertarian and author of the Fair Tax Plan, has some ideas about the hurricane. I agree with him, completely. BTW: the first item is a preview of what's gonna happen to all this relief dough pouring into NOLa...

JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT

Now here's something you probably didn't know about Louisiana and Hurricane Katrina. At the very time Katrina was bearing down on New Orleans, there were several top-level officials in the very department of Louisiana government that prepares for emergencies such as Katrina sitting around and waiting for their trial. Trial, you say? Trial for what? Let's try corruption and throw in a bit of fraud.

It seems that these Louisiana officials either misspent or misplaced or ... worse ... about 60 million federal taxpayer bucks. Here are some details ...

In March of this year -- that's about five months before Katrina -- FEMA was asking for the return of $30.4 million that the federal government had sent to Louisiana for emergency planning and preparedness. Most of this money was sent to some state office called the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. Wait .. it gets worse. According to the Los Angeles Times, much of that money was sent to Louisiana under some federal program called the Hazard Mitigation Grant program. That is a program that is, in part, supposed to help states improve flood control facilities. Flood? Did someone say flood?
....cut..........................
AND THAT'S NOT ALL .....
Let's see ... what else have we learned in the past week about the response to Katrina.
Doctors from across the United States poured into Louisiana to offer their services in shelters and hospitals treating Katrina's victims. They could do nothing. They just sat. You see, they weren't licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana. It took the amazing Governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, five days to sign a waiver to allow these doctors to practice medicine in Louisiana. Five days, while people were suffering and dying. Don't blame Blanco, though. It was clearly Bush's fault.

On the Saturday before the hurricane New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin received a call from Amtrak. There was a passenger train sitting in the New Orleans station with 900 empty seats. Did the Mayor want to put some evacuees in those seats? No thanks. The train left nearly empty. You cannot blame Mayor Nagin for this decision, that clearly would be racist. It just has to be Bush's fault.
cut..
Speaking of flood control. You did know, didn't you, that in 1996 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was going to raise and strengthen the very levees that failed in New Orleans. They were going to, but they didn't. And why not? Because of a lawsuit, that's why. The plaintiff in the lawsuit didn't want the work done until extensive and expensive environmental impact statements were prepared by the Corps of Engineers and approved by the EPA. And who filed that lawsuit? Why .. it was the Sierra Club. The very same Sierra Club, by the way, that listened with rapt attention in San Francisco on September 9th while Al Gore told them that the leaders of this country ought to be held accountable for the flooding in New Orleans.
cut.........................................
Mayor Ray Nagin is inviting residents of some areas of New Orleans to come back to their homes and businesses and begin the cleanup process. There's another possible hurricane bearing down on the Florida Keys --- a tropical storm that could become a hurricane and could head toward New Orleans. Now it's possible that if over 100,000 residents return to New Orleans and are further victimized by another hurricane and another flood .. will it be Mayor Ray Nagin's fault? Of course not, you idiot! It will be George Bush's fault! Haven't you been paying attention? :D

Eagle43 said:

A great libertarian and author of the Fair Tax Plan, has some ideas about the hurricane.  I agree with him, completely. BTW:  the first item is a preview of what's gonna happen to all this relief dough pouring into NOLa...

Now here's something you probably didn't know about Louisiana and Hurricane Katrina.  At the very time Katrina was bearing down on New Orleans, there were several top-level officials in the very department of Louisiana government that prepares for emergencies such as Katrina sitting around and waiting for their  trial.  Trial, you say?  Trial for what? Let's try corruption and throw in a bit of fraud.

It seems that these Louisiana officials either misspent or misplaced or ... worse ... about 60 million federal taxpayer bucks.  Here are some details ...

In March of this year -- that's about five months before Katrina -- FEMA was asking for the return of $30.4 million that the federal government had sent to Louisiana for emergency planning and preparedness.   Most of this money was sent to some state office called the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.  Wait .. it gets worse. According to the Los Angeles Times, much of that money was sent to Louisiana under some federal program called the Hazard Mitigation Grant program.  That is a program that is, in part, supposed to help states improve flood control facilities.  Flood?  Did someone say flood?
....cut..........................
AND THAT'S NOT ALL .....
Let's see ... what else have we learned in the past week about the response to Katrina.
Doctors from across the United States poured into Louisiana to offer their services in shelters and hospitals treating Katrina's victims. They could do nothing. They just sat.  You see, they weren't licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana.  It took the amazing Governor of Louisiana, Kathleen Blanco, five days to sign a waiver to allow these doctors to practice medicine in Louisiana.  Five days, while people were suffering and dying.  Don't blame Blanco, though.  It was clearly Bush's fault.

On the Saturday before the hurricane New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin received a call from Amtrak.  There was a passenger train sitting in the New Orleans station with 900 empty seats.  Did the Mayor want to put some evacuees in those seats?  No thanks.  The train left nearly empty.  You cannot blame Mayor Nagin for this decision, that clearly would be racist.  It just has to be Bush's fault.
cut..
Speaking of flood control.  You did know, didn't you, that in 1996 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was going to raise and strengthen the very levees that failed in New Orleans.  They were going to, but they didn't.  And why not? Because of a lawsuit, that's why.  The plaintiff in the lawsuit didn't want the work done until extensive and expensive environmental impact statements were prepared by the Corps of Engineers and approved by the EPA.  And who filed that lawsuit?  Why .. it was the Sierra Club.  The very same Sierra Club, by the way, that listened with rapt attention in San Francisco on September 9th while Al Gore told them that the leaders of this country ought to be held accountable for the flooding in New Orleans.
cut.........................................
Mayor Ray Nagin is inviting residents of some areas of New Orleans to come back to their homes and businesses and begin the cleanup process.   There's another possible hurricane bearing down on the Florida Keys --- a tropical storm that could become a hurricane and could head toward New Orleans.  Now it's possible that if over 100,000 residents return to New Orleans and are further victimized by another hurricane and another flood .. will it be Mayor Ray Nagin's fault?  Of course not, you idiot!  It will be George Bush's fault!  Haven't you been paying attention? :D

This is all just business as usual (good post though). Murphy was
an optimist :)

JG

Eagle43 said:
Doctors from across the United States poured into Louisiana to offer their services in shelters and hospitals treating Katrina's victims. They could do nothing. They just sat. You see, they weren't licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana.

Yep. An acquaintance who is an emergency room doctor in Oregon took a week of vacation to go help out. Wouldn't let him do anything due to lack of a Louisiana license. What a waste.

REWahoo! said:
Yep. An acquaintance who is an emergency room doctor in Oregon took a week of vacation to go help out. Wouldn't let him do anything due to lack of a Louisiana license. What a waste.

I looked up and found that conceal-and-carry licenses from 20 other states are honored in Louisiana. Not trying to restart gun talk, just noting the irony and wondering how priorities got this way.

BigMoneyJim said:
I looked up and found that conceal-and-carry licenses from 20 other states are honored in Louisiana. Not trying to restart gun talk, just noting the irony and wondering how priorities got this way.

That's because your right to blow people away bear arms is constitutionally guarranteed, but you have no right to medical care. Congress has made this abundantly clear. The last serious attempt to institute national health care was expertly hijacked into a discussion about the personal merits of Hilary Clinton.

Well, Bush did start a needless war in Iraq, and sent the National Guard to Iraq, instead of having more of them in New Orleans. Not to mention, putting the nation's finances into ruin.

But what amuses me, is that I have seen you personally blame Jimmy Carter for the economic conditions of his short 4 year term, when knowledgeable economists credit him for the recovery in the 80's and 90's. Not entirely your fault as this fable has been repeated by the right wingers so many times, that most think it's history.

Bush Jr. has personally made a mess of the U.S.A. in Financial terms and World wide relations, that will take years to mend. He is clearly the worst president in my lifetime and the American people are finally starting to wake up to this.

Eagle43 said:

. . .JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT . . .
Of course it's not. My neighbor's cousin Ellie who lives near Biloxi was supposed to bring all the non-perishible food from the kitchen to the upstairs closet before the evacuation. Apparently she forgot a bag of flour and some beans. The flood water destroyed them. Yep . . . that loss of several dollars worth of food was not Bush's fault. It was Ellie's.

I guess that gets GWB off the hook. He may have bankrupted the country, sent our National Guard off to invade a country for nothing but lies, appointmented an incompent crony to the head of FEMA, and stood by for over a day after the disaster before even starting to address the problem . . . but as long as we can blame Ellie for the loss of a pound of flour and some beans, we can let ole GWB off.

:D :D :D Neocon logic. Gotta love it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cut-Throat said:
Well, Bush did start a needless war in Iraq, and sent the National Guard to Iraq, instead of having more in New Orleans. Not to mention, putting the nation's finances into ruin.

But what amuses me, is that I have seen you personally blame Jimmy Carter for the economic conditions of his 4 year term, when knowledgeable economists credit him for the recovery in the 80's and 90's. Not entirely your fault as this fable has been repeated by the right wingers so many times, that most think it's history.

Bush Jr. has personally made a mess of the U.S.A. in Financial terms and World wide relations will take years to mend. He is clearly the worst president in my lifetime and the American people are finally starting to wake up to this.
As to the NOLa fiasco, I believe GWB stepped up to the plate and accepted responsibility. I don't find any other official(s) doing the same.

I really don't like to defend Bush when he's wrong. He should have had the Guard there in 24-48 hours. I know there are emergency responders ready to go on a moment's notice. I do hear that Blanco refused to cooperate, but that could be spin. In time we shall know. I think Nagin is the fool that you think Bush is, and after the microscope is used, might even turn out to be a crook. Why, because he's in Louisiana politics, one of the most corrupt states in the nation.

I could care less about Carter. Defend him if you like. I think he sucked, and so did/does the country. He's a fine human being otherwise, just a lousy president. Probably because he was a scientist/engineer. GWB may be too stupid, but Carter was too damn smart, and couldn't keep his hands off anything. Even personally scheduled the White House Tennis Courts. In Jul 1980, he asks for his entire cabinet to resign, during a reelection campaign! Do you remember stagflation? Iranian hostages? Russian invasion of Afghanistan? How about the Misery Index? During the Presidential campaign of 1976 campaign, Democratic nominee Jimmy Carter invented what he referred to as the Misery Index, adding together the rates of inflation and unemployment, which produced a Misery Index of 13.4%. Carter stated no man responsible for giving the country a misery index that high had a right to even ask to be president. By 1980, when President Carter was running for a re-election, the Misery Index stood at 20.5%.How can you discuss financial woes vis-a-vis GWB and then espouse Carter? Wow! Your kinda guy, huh, C-T. You can have him.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/peopleevents/e_malaise.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/filmmore/ps_crisis.html
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37246
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter

I agree Carter wasn't up to the Job. He struck me as indecisive and rudderless.

However, the high inflation and joblessness can be mostly attributed to very high energy costs that we as a nation were unprepared for. So don't blame all of the problems back then on Carter.

I also agree that GWB doesn't seem up to the job either. The choices for either a Democrat or Republican the last couple of cycles have been pretty slim. I wasn't enthusiastic for either and had to hold my nose when I voted.

Cut-Throat said:
He is clearly the worst president in my lifetime...
You hope! You might be around for quite a few more Presidential Supreme Court decisions elections...

Eagle43 said:
He's a fine human being otherwise, just a lousy president.
Apparently you never spent quality time around Carter when he was working for a taxpayer's paycheck. My FIL says he wasn't as bad as Johnson but he was certainly worse than Nixon... maybe that's because people mistakenly expected Carter to be nicer.

REWahoo! said:
I'm betting that like Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush will be a wonderful ex-president. :)
Hey, if Bush joins Habitat for Humanity then he & Jimmy really can help rebuild New Orleans! If they were both working on the same jobsite with power tools & hammers in their hands, what could possibly go wrong?

Cut-Throat said:
Well, Bush did start a needless war in Iraq, and sent the National Guard to Iraq, instead of having more of them in New Orleans. Not to mention, putting the nation's finances into ruin.

But what amuses me, is that I have seen you personally blame Jimmy Carter for the economic conditions of his short 4 year term, when knowledgeable economists credit him for the recovery in the 80's and 90's. Not entirely your fault as this fable has been repeated by the right wingers so many times, that most think it's history.

Bush Jr. has personally made a mess of the U.S.A. in Financial terms and World wide relations, that will take years to mend. He is clearly the worst president in my lifetime and the American people are finally starting to wake up to this.

I was born in 1944. I can't recall being impressed by any of them.

JG

Nords said:
Hey, if Bush joins Habitat for Humanity then he & Jimmy really can help rebuild New Orleans! If they were both working on the same jobsite with power tools & hammers in their hands, what could possibly go wrong?
Now this is clever. Of course, Bush would need Karl Rove to hold the hammer! :LOL:

Cut-Throat said:

Way to tap-dance around all the points brought up by Eagle43...

Seems to me that the knee-jerk response of some on the left is to bring out the Bush-bashing talking points when someone dares question the state and local response to the crisis.  After all, the local politicans were predominately Democrat, and we all know Democrats can do no wrong...  ::)

xavion said:
Way to tap-dance around all the points brought up by Eagle43...

Seems to me that the knee-jerk response of some on the left is to bring out the Bush-bashing talking points when someone dares question the state and local response to the crisis. After all, the local politicans were predominately Democrat, and we all know Democrats can do no wrong... ::)

But isn't it the knee jerk response of the right to accuse the left of saying "it's all Bush's fault?" I haven't heard that from the left. No one has said it is all Bush's fault.

In fact, Eagle had an excellent post in a different thread which outlined failings of city, state and the federal government. But I hardly fault CT for picking out the left baiting line JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT and responding to it.

Martha said:
But isn't it the knee jerk response of the right to accuse the left of saying "it's all Bush's fault?" I haven't heard that from the left.  No one has said it is all Bush's fault.

In fact, Eagle had an excellent post in a different thread which outlined failings of city, state and the federal government.   But I hardly fault CT for picking out the left baiting line JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT and responding to it.

I don't doubt that there are people on the right who have the knee-jerk response that you describe.  I also have read Eagle's other post and found it outstanding as well.

What I found interesting is that Eagle's post references Lousiana officials, Mayor Ray Nagin, an Amtrak train, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Sierra Club, among other things.   The reply:

Cut-Throat said:
Well, Bush did start a needless war in Iraq, and sent the National Guard to Iraq, instead of having more of them in New Orleans. Not to mention, putting the nation's finances into ruin. <snip the Jimmy Carter stuff...>

Granted, the poster is only replying to JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT...  Why does the poster respond in this manner?  Does the poster agree with the assertion that it's all Bush's fault?  Maybe the poster believes that it is alright to turn a blind eye to local mismanagement because Bush is a 'bad president.'  I'll wait for clarification, but I think that most objective observers would see it as a partisan rant.

It was 'baiting' of Boortz to suggest that Dems say "it's all Bush's fault."  I'd guess it was put in to grab the attention of the reader or out of frustration.  Now I haven't pored over every transcript of every interview given on the various news networks, but from the numerous interviews I've seen Democratic politicians or spokespeople of left-leaning organizations give, they spend about twenty to thirty seconds calmly and politely addressing the state and local issues ("Mistakes were made at all levels of government...").  The rest of the interview often becomes a federal/FEMA/Bush bashing event.

OK, I'm gonna be the first to say it. Whatever damage is going to be caused by Hurricane Rita is ALL BUSH'S FAULT! So there! :D

Patrick said:
OK, I'm gonna be the first to say it. Whatever damage is going to be caused by Hurricane Rita is ALL BUSH'S FAULT! So there! :D

True. Also here's a tip: if you've been through a hurricane, and you find yourself getting hungry or thirsty, steal a large television or other electronic equipment. I hear it helps.

Granted, the poster is only replying to JUST THE SAME ... IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT...  Why does the poster respond in this manner?  Does the poster agree with the assertion that it's all Bush's fault?  Maybe the poster believes that it is alright to turn a blind eye to local mismanagement because Bush is a 'bad president.'  I'll wait for clarification, but I think that most objective observers would see it as a partisan rant.

Well, I'll have to spell it out for you.  - I really don't care about the hurricane mis-management. Bush has failed on so many levels before this, that it really does not matter.

My only point was that the Right Wingers blamed Jimmy Carter for the economic problems of 1977-1981. Don't you think that is kind of stupid? The policies that Carter put in place and the appointment of Paul Volker Straightend the economy out. But Eagle maintains that Carter was soley responsible for 20% Prime rate of the early 80's. This is not unlike the current financial mess, that is just getting out the Visa Card to make everything look wonderful!

When Iran kidnapped the Hostages, the Right Blamed Jimmy Carter - That's kind of stupid also - No?

Who owns the Iraq War? - Not much of a debate here is there? 

Hurricane? - I don't care about the hurricane itself, my point is that Bush has put us in such a precarious position financially and policitically that we are unprepared for any disaster.

xavion said:
It was 'baiting' of Boortz to suggest that Dems say "it's all Bush's fault." I'd guess it was put in to grab the attention of the reader or out of frustration. Now I haven't pored over every transcript of every interview given on the various news networks, but from the numerous interviews I've seen Democratic politicians or spokespeople of left-leaning organizations give, they spend about twenty to thirty seconds calmly and politely addressing the state and local issues ("Mistakes were made at all levels of government..."). The rest of the interview often becomes a federal/FEMA/Bush bashing event.

I feel that the current administration has received a pass for too long by a press who has seen its job as not finding the truth, but simply presenting both "sides", even if one side's position is completely ridiculous. Now I see the press doing a better job with calling people in government and government systems to task. So clearly we see things differently.

xavion said:
and we all know Democrats can do no wrong... ::)

Of course Democrats can do wrong. An example:

After Jeb Bush illegally moved or closed polling places in black districts, called out the state goons police to turn back voters, and subcontracted out to have voters names erroneously removed from the electoral polls, several members of the house attempted to have the senate prevent the certification of the election. This was appropriate, as voters civil rights were denied wholesale.

NOT ONE DEMOCRAT, not Ted Kennedy, not Al Gore, would validate the complaint.

There's an example for you of Democrats doing wrong....based on this lack of gumption I feel they deserve to be powerless. Problem is, the damage being done as the systems of checks and balances is dismantled.

Cut-Throat said:
Bush has failed on so many levels before this, that it really does not matter.

Hi C-T. I agree with this statement, but would prefer anarchy to having the Dems
and libs in charge. I guess I am a kind of "yellowdog" conservative.
That is, I would vote for a yellow dog as long as it was
ultra-conservative (assuming I actually voted) :)

JG

I just want to know where the fiscal conservative Republicans are. We need them now.

bosco said:
Of course Democrats can do wrong.  An example:

After Jeb Bush illegally moved or closed  polling places in black districts, called out the state goons police to turn back voters, and subcontracted out to have voters names erroneously removed from the electoral polls, several members of the house attempted to have the senate prevent the certification of the election.  This was appropriate, as voters civil rights were denied wholesale.

NOT ONE DEMOCRAT, not Ted Kennedy, not Al Gore, would validate the complaint.

There's an example for you of Democrats doing wrong....based on this lack of gumption I feel they deserve to be powerless.  Problem is, the damage being done as the systems of checks and balances is dismantled.

Bosco..............you need to relax man. Besides, this is old news. Sit back
and chill. Maybe with a nice chocolate drink :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom