Join Early Retirement Today

It's confirmed - Aliens exist
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's confirmed - Aliens exist

FORMER NASA astronaut and moon-walker Dr Edgar Mitchell - a veteran of the Apollo 14 mission - has stunningly claimed aliens exist.

Moon-walker claims alien contact cover-up | NEWS.com.au

Really, though. What would prompt him to come out and say this now, unless it really was true.

Or is he just getting old and senile?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I could have sworn that one of the other big name astronauts made the same claim when he was pretty old, like Aldrin or Armstrong.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ah, actually it was both.

Aldrin claimed that he and the crew saw a UFO and observed it for several hours. Armstrong claimed there was a UFO base on the moon.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The excellent book, Mistakes were Made, But not by Me, has brief section talking about people who claim to have suffered alien abductions or have met aliens. The people are rarely mentally ill. People who are totally "normal" can make serious cognitive errors. These can occur in a variety of circumstances. If you are tired and pushed to the limit, you can hallucinate.

I have also read that people who have experiences of alien abduction (not quite what the astronauts are claiming) tend to have fertile imaginations and high reactivity. They tend towards daydreaming. "It seems people who report themselves as abductees are more likely to endorse unusualexperiences, be creative and imaginative, have depressive ideas, be suspicious, have dissociative tendencies and to have suffered childhood trauma. So whilst it seems unlikely that the bizarre experiences reported by most 'abductees' stem from severe mental illness (which can produce equally bizarre and seemingly real experiences) it is certainly the case that this group hascharacteristics that differentiate them from the general population.It is possible that these dispositions may increase the tendency for them to explain an anomalous experience in terms of alien contact." The Psychology and Neuroscience of Alien Abduction || kuro5hin.org

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This should be merged with the psychics thread.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
If I wanted to be cynical, I'd further suggest merging this with any thread on religion. But I'm not, so I wont.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Hey! I don't know if the aliens would appreciate you lumping them in with psychics. At least aliens might have a chance of being legit!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I just posted a new thread and poll about belief in aliens.

Poll: Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Maybe the aliens are psychics.

Or all legitimate psychics are aliens.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #10

or they were not hallucinating and actually did see aliens while completely conscious, only they might have been experiencing a lucid dream and the aliens were merely dream characters.

additionally, the "medical probing" we hear about might be how the so-called abuctee experienced sleep paralysis, whereby you gain consciousness in your sleep so that you can feel your body but you can not control it. you might even be able to see during that time. it can be so frightening for some that they then experience what could be described as visual & auditory hallucination (often groaning or grinding noises or visual plays of shadow). the body might feel "electric shocks" or vibrations which the dreamer could imagine as probing by an external source.

i'm pretty sure this is gonna get a lot of play here, but what the hell (i won't be the one being presumptuous): the frequently described anal probing by aliens could very well have to do with the so-called awakening of so-called kundalini (supposedly seated at the so-called root chakra) which can associate both with lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Stargazer Online || Carl Sagan

There are several concepts that make it difficult for humans to comprehend that aliens probably have not visited the earth.
- Distances - The huge distances between inhabited planets
- Speed - speed of light as a limit
- Finding the earth
- Curiousness - an intelligent civiliazation may not be interested in exploring the solar system

Alpha Centauri
Alpha-Centauri is 4.35 light years away from earth.
the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

The amazing thing to me is that there is life here on earth at all and that we find it fairly easy to end it.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

"Although they may seem more the stuff of science fiction than science fact, physicists first dreamed up the idea of wormholes. In 1935, Albert Einstein and Nathan Rosen realized that general relativity allows the existence of “bridges,” originally called Einstein-Rosen bridges but now known as wormholes. These space-time tubes act as shortcuts connecting distant regions of space-time. By journeying through a wormhole, you could travel between the two regions faster than a beam of light would be able to if it moved through normal space-time. As with any mode of faster-than-light travel, wormholes offer the possibility of time travel.
Until recently, theorists believed that wormholes could exist for only an instant of time, and anyone trying to pass through would run into a singularity. But more recent calculations show that a truly advanced civilization might be able to make wormholes work. By using something physicists call “exotic matter,” which has a negative energy, the civilization could prevent a wormhole from collapsing on itself. The stuff of science fiction, to be sure. But perhaps some day in the far future, it could also turn into science fact."
Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #13

It may well be that what we know as civilization on earth, is but a dismally failed experiment of others.

The creators of this experiment may occasionally pass by to see how it is going. Me thinks it would look to be at best a mediocre result.

They may get more interested if they find that a few smart alecs are trying to escape. A little foray to the Moon in the grander scheme is minor.

All of the foregoing is result of having too much time in retirement for idle thinking. But if it turns out true, I want credit.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Maybe its the extraterrestrial version of a trip to the zoo.

"Daddy! Can I feed them?!?"

"No! Look how fat they are already. Plus that gloobelsnorp will make them sick!"
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Out of the billions of stars that have planets that could support life, why would God only populate the earth with semi-intelligent beings. It would be God's plan to spread life throughout the universe and some of those life forms could be millions of years ahead of us in technology enabling them to bypass our known limits of physics.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Indeed, it is hard to know the great plan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We can only wonder in it's complexity and the mysteries it contains for us. Someday all will be touched by his noodly appendage.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Out of the billions of stars that have planets that could support life, why would God only populate the earth with semi-intelligent beings. It would be God's plan to spread life throughout the universe and some of those life forms could be millions of years ahead of us in technology enabling them to bypass our known limits of physics.
except, if their system is like ours, has an expiration date making it less possible that most intelligent life is given the opportunity to evolve to that advanced state...which i find an intriguing argument against the aliens...but who says every solar system follows our rules...who knows what will pop out of those black holes!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
except, if their system is like ours, has an expiration date making it less possible that most intelligent life is given the opportunity to evolve to that advanced state...which i find an intriguing argument against the aliens...but who says every solar system follows our rules...who knows what will pop out of those black holes!
Most of our technology was developed in the last couple hundred years.
Where will we be a couple thousand years down the road if advances continue at this pace?
When is our expiration date?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Indeed, it is hard to know the great plan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We can only wonder in it's complexity and the mysteries it contains for us. Someday all will be touched by his noodly appendage.

How do you know it's a he?

Remember that old country and western song - they all look good at closing time.

Of course if there is no closing time:

How many 3 am's have YOU spent in the French Quarter over thirty years - hmmmm.

heh heh heh - sometimes it's not nice to make fun of aliens - they don't always like it.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
How do you know it's a he?
Hmm. I thought I saw a pair of cojones, but on further review they appear to be meatballs.