Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #2581

A young monk arrives at the monastery.

He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript.
So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, Pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up!
In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, 'We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son.'
He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him.
He finds him banging his head against the wall and wailing,
'We missed the R!
We missed the R!
We missed the R!'
His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
The young monk asks the old abbot, 'What's wrong, father?'
With A choking voice, the old abbot replies,
'The word was...

CELEBRATE!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Male sensitivity
Old 02-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #2582

Male sensitivity

The room was full of pregnant women with their partners. The class was in full swing. The instructor was teaching the women how to breathe properly and was telling the men how to give the necessary assurance to their partners at this stage of the pregnancy.
She said, "Ladies, remember that exercise is good for you. Walking is especially beneficial. It strengthens the pelvic muscles and will make delivery that much easier. Just take several stops and stay on a soft surface like grass or a path.”
She looked at the men in the room, "and Gentlemen, remember -- You're in this together -- It wouldn't hurt you to go walking with her.”
The room suddenly got very quiet as the men absorbed this information. Then a man at the back of the room slowly raised his hand.
"Yes,” answered the Instructor.
“I was just wondering if it would be all right if she carries a golf bag while we walk?”
This kind of sensitivity just can't be taught..

More snappy one-liners
Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #2583

More snappy one-liners

Did you hear about the fat, alcoholic transvestite - All he wanted to do was eat, drink and be Mary

Got an e-mail today from a bored local housewife, 43, who was looking for some hot action! So I sent her my ironing.

I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.

After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex, Bill woke up to find himself next to a really ugly woman. That's when he realised he had made it home safely.

Paddy says to Mick, "Christmas is on Friday this year".
Mick replies, "Let's hope it's not the 13th then."

My mate just hired an Eastern European cleaner. It took her 5 hours to vacuum the house. Turns out she was a Slovak.

I've been charged with murder for killing a man with sandpaper. To be honest I only intended to rough him up a bit.

A lad comes home from school and excitedly tells his dad that he has a part in the school play and he is playing a man who had been married for 25 years. The dad says, "Never mind, son. Maybe next year you'll get a speaking part."

2 women called at my door and asked what bread I ate. When I said white they gave me a lecture on the benefits of brown bread for 30 minutes. I think they were Hovis Witnesses. (I added a link here for the non-Brits to understand what Hovis is )
..and more one liners
Old 02-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #2584

..and more one liners

A mate of mine recently admitted to being addicted to brake fluid. When I quizzed him on it he reckoned he could stop any time....

I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave. As I was standing there I noticed 4 grave diggers walking about with a coffin, 3 hours later and they're still walking about with it. I thought to myself, they've lost the plot!!

I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.

A new Middle East crisis erupted last night as Dubai Television was refused permission to broadcast 'The Flintstones'. A spokesman for the channel said. “A claim was made that people in Dubai would not understand the humour, but we know for a fact that people in Abu Dhabi Do.”

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our local pet shop and they were $70!!! B******s to this, I thought, I can get one cheaper off the web.

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Went around to a friend’s house today. His wife was sat there with their newborn baby. She asked if I'd like to wind it. I thought that was a bit harsh so I gave it a dead leg instead.

I start a new job in Seoul next week. I thought it was a good Korea move.

I was driving this morning when I saw an RAC van parked up. The driver was sobbing uncontrollably and looked very miserable. I thought to myself ‘that guy’s heading for a breakdown’.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #2585
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
B******s
I don't think "billhooks" has to have asterisks if the server is in America...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #2586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't think "billhooks" has to have asterisks if the server is in America...

I converted all the other stuff such as hoover to vacuum and £ to $. I forgot about that one. For those that are wondering, b******s is a British swear word that sounds a bit like bullocks.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #2587
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I converted all the other stuff such as hoover to vacuum and £ to $. I forgot about that one. For those that are wondering, b******s is a British swear word that sounds a bit like bullocks.
Yeah, but what does b0llocks actually mean?

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #2588

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yeah, but what does b0llocks actually mean?
It is a word of Anglo Saxon origin meaning testicles

As an aside I also heard that the origins of "to testify" and "testament" come from Ancient Roman where women and eunuchs were not allowed to give evidence in a court of law. Only men with testicles could appear in court. (not absolutely sure about this but it sounds good)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #2589
Give me a forum ...

So are b*llocks or blo*dy considered more or less offensive than the good ol' American F-bomb? Wonder, as several Irish and New Zealand acquaintances use the F word real hard, almost up to naval standards, and as if it was a minor innocuous modifier.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #2590
Give me a forum ...

They both come from Middle English, derived from the Latin testis, meaning "witness" and the best guess is that it's because the testicles bear witness to their owner's masculinity.

Before anyone protests [also derived from the same root] this, I should note that the Romans used another word entirely for their testicles, colei.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #2591

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So are b*llocks or blo*dy considered more or less offensive than the good ol' American F-bomb? Wonder, as several Irish and New Zealand acquaintances use the F word real hard, almost up to naval standards, and as if it was a minor innocuous modifier.
They are much less offensive than the F word, and you'll hear them in everyday speech all the time (at least the places we've lived).

Cultural differences are interesting. I watched a docu-drama once about a famous cricket match between England and Australia in the 1930's. At one point an Australian batsman called an English bowler a b*st*rd.

At the end of the day the English captain went to the dressing room of the Australians to complain. The Australian captain turned to his players and said, "Which one of you b*st*rds called this b*st*rd a b*st*rd?"
Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #2592

I just remembered a news article on NPR a few years ago and they were reporting on a new tourist guide and phrase book written in Italy for Italians visiting Australia. There were many funny entries but the one I recall is the phrase "G'Day you ole b*st*rd", with the explanation, "you may hear this spoken between Australians as a form of greeting. However, we do not recommend that you use this greeting as the results may be unpredictable".
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #2593
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The most common use of "bollocks" in daily conversation in the UK would be similar to "bull$h1t". Example: "See that latest memo from HR? What a load of bollocks". But the original meaning it still widely used; if a cricketer gets hit in the "gentleman's area" by the ball, a spectator would say "he got one in the bollocks, looked pretty painful".
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #2594
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
For those that are wondering, b******s is a British swear word that sounds a bit like bullocks.
I tried to explain this to my daughter but she kept asking "Who's Monty Python?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #2595
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I tried to explain this to my daughter but she kept asking "Who's Monty Python?"
You mean you've deprived her of the essential experience of watching "The Holy Grail" after inhaling a bit of Maui's finest?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #2596

Quote:
Now that she's gone to university it shouldn't be long before she learns all about Monty Python.

Over Christmas our daughter and her husband introduced us to a new Monty Python board game of theirs that they play with all their friends.

We didn't do so well because they and our son seem to know all the Monty Python movies and quotes by heart.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #2597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
You mean it isn't?

Heard in Dublin: sentif***ingmental (all one word)
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #2598
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You mean it isn't?

Heard in Dublin: sentif***ingmental (all one word)
Standard naval words back when i was shoveling coal (making sail? manning the oars?) were absof***inglutely, inf***ingcredible and such. Sentences grew by 20% to include enough of the requisite f words - recall asking a family member to pass the *** butter at dinner when home on leave - that moment marked a decision to look for more descriptive adjectives.

Do like your Dubliner word though, as it's a lovely blending of sweet and salty.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #2599
Recycles dryer sheets

With all of the severe weather we have been having this winter, the Department of Transportation issued a travel warning. They suggest that anyone traveling in the current conditions should have the following:
Shovel
Blankets or sleeping bag
Extra clothing including coats, hats and gloves
24 hours worth of food
De-icer
Rock salt
Flashlight and spare batteries
Road flares or reflective triangles
Empty gas can
Booster cables
I looked like an idiot on the bus this morning!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #2600

"I'm really scared" says Snow White to the huntsman as he leads her into the woods. "Just think how bad it will be for me. I'll be walking out all by myself".