Join Early Retirement Today

It's not the thing you fling, it's the fling itself.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not the thing you fling, it's the fling itself.

This thread will probably go no where, but anyone recognize where this is from? It was a worthwhile lesson at the time for me. Sorry if this is too obscure...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, I remember that was in an episode from the show 'Northern Exposure'. It was a good show.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Right you are, I'm amazed. Thought no one else would recognize it. I really liked that show and the subplot that followed the quote in that episode (Burning Down the House) fortunately came at the right time to lead me down the LBYM path.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I loved NE---maybe it's time to see it again via Netflix! But Midpack, how did you remember that line? When is the last time you saw that episode?
I googled it and found this description of the episode, but can barely remember it:

Northern Exposure: 3.14 Burning Down the House
Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have been slowly going through NE via netflix. What a great show it was. A shame it ended so quickly. Maybe it was better that it went out while still on top.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Always one of my favorite shows. Considered buying the DVD set to watch during retirment next year. That's something that I've started to do - collect DVD series like ER, Grey's Anatomy, Nip Tuck, Lost etc - especially shows I haven't seen over the last several years. I figure I can catch up after leaving work.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Great show! Loved the scenery more than the story lines though. Saw Rob Morrow at a school, while I was assigned to election duty, many years ago, when the show was still on. I was too starstruck to say anything, and I didn't want to make a fool of myself as I was in uniform. Miss those little things!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I loved NE---maybe it's time to see it again via Netflix! But Midpack, how did you remember that line? When is the last time you saw that episode?
I googled it and found this description of the episode, but can barely remember it:

Northern Exposure: 3.14 Burning Down the House
I tend to prefer things that are unique and different vs the mainstream in general. I loved NE because of the characters, the intelligence and the offbeat perspective. The subplot (and the line) of that particular episode had an significant impact on me at the time, I won't bother with the details. My sister was/is also a NE fan, and she knew about my fascination with that episode, so she gave me the 3rd season on DVD for Christmas a few years ago. I watch it on my PC or iPod probably once or twice a year, and enjoy it every time.

Still amazed that anyone else recognized the line in the first place.