It's ok to surf the web at work

a good friend of mine criticized me for spending too much time at the computer. i said it is often more convenient than a library. also i prefer reading news online as it is both more convenient and cleaner. also i like some of these forums. i said i used to spend this much time online plus, as i was a telecommuter, i used to work online as well.

for the next two or three times we talked she felt the need to apologize.

i wonder what my superv will think when they see this site? does this count the same as a newspaper?

How can you sit in an office with no windows and have internet access and not look at the News or whatever? If they fire people over it they are probably looking for and excuse.

At my wife's place of work they don't let most of the hourly folks have access to the internet or to email. They all have computers but they are locked out of anything except the company required programs (web based). Their phones will not call outside of the building either.

In my job I am required to gather information from regulatory sites and to collect and digest it for internal consumption. I am on the internet most of the day. Jumping into this site or a few others that are not "business" would be pretty hard to whine about.

I can see business cracking down on anyone who goofs off enough to not get their job done. That would go for reading the paper at their desk or surfing the internet. Since we are so email driven it is very hard NOT to be glued to the computer most of the day. Reading and responding to over 100 emails a day takes time. :p

You can imagine the howls of outrage at Pacific Command HQ when the IT staff locked out one of the biggest security-risk websites on the entire Internet...

Hotmail.

thefed said:
i wonder what my superv will think when they see this site? does this count the same as a newspaper?

Yes, but it would be labeled dangerous and counter-revolutionary.

Back
Top Bottom