Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This is a lot of fun finding the "right" places to give items to versus the garbage can.
I must say, you quite resourceful in finding new "homes" for your stuff!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I must say, you quite resourceful in finding new "homes" for your stuff!
Well TY
It's kinda like a reverse treasure hunt. It also gets me thinking and OUT OF THE HOUSE to combat latent cabin fever.
Who can turn down a freebie?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm getting rid of old baseboard trim by recycling the wood into hockey sticks for toddlers.
Might toddlers try to use such hockey sticks on each other?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Might toddlers try to use such hockey sticks on each other?
Maybe, I only made one so far - for my niece's first child. She and her husband are hockey nuts and will outfit the little guy with tons on padding, helmet,etc.

So I'm not worried about him. Maybe visitors, parents, grandparents, tv's, etc are in trouble. I questioned DW, MIL to see if making this was a good idea before I made it. They said that it would be 'cute'. I think they see it as some sort of room decoration that he will never go wild with.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #205
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a good one. I think it is worth triple points. I sold six boxes of 40 to 50 rock LPs for $300. This freed up space in my garage and made money that I am putting toward something special yet to be determined.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
This is a good one. I think it is worth triple points. I sold six boxes of 40 to 50 rock LPs for $300. This freed up space in my garage and made money that I am putting toward something special yet to be determined.
Nice one!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #207

Sold an old Tektronix 549 Storage scope (finest quality boat anchor ever made), within 3 hrs of posting it. I think I'll start listing more stuff on craigslist.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Cleaned out my closet and I have a bag for Goodwill and I listed four items on ebay .
Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #209

I removed 200 retaining wall blocks - some are going to BIL, the rest to craigslist
Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #210

4/13-4/14: Two credit cards and associated paperwork
4/15-4/26: Twelve credit card statements
4/27-5/1: Five mismatched socks

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #211

I've picked out another 70 items from my closet to donate to charity. Hope to drop them off today.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
4/13-4/14: Two credit cards and associated paperwork
4/15-4/26: Twelve credit card statements
4/27-5/1: Five mismatched socks

2Cor521
Making mismatched socks go away DEFINITELY gets double points.

I didn't do anything this week to declutter. The weather is nice, so I'm on a short break.
Stay tuned...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #213

Anyone else still trying to simplify? Our enthusiasm for this is increasing on a weekly basis. I think the reality of moving and lugging large amounts of things up a couple of stairs has helped DH come to the conclusion we have too much stuff.

Our big success, is by moving to a new house we are cutting our rent and utilities by 1/3 which is more than welcome.

We listed 4 things on Craigslist on Saturday and have sold three of them. WE have never sold anything online before and never expected it would be so easy. Needless to say we are eagerly looking around the house to see what else we can list. Those 3 items netted us $150, not a fortune, but $150 more than we had last week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #214

We sold almost everything we owned on Craig's list (moving onto a sailboat pretty much requires divesting or storing), and I must say that apart from the emotional upheaval of doing something like that, the experience was very nice. We met lots of nice folks, nobody tried to cheat us, and we generally felt good about seeing our stuff go to folks who wanted it. One guy was up front about reselling stuff on eBay, but hey, he gave us our asking price so fine.

However, you also have to be realistic about prices. While we didn't exactly sell stuff at garage sale prices, some things went for painfully small amounts. One of the good things about Craig's list is that in a metropolitan area, the feedback is almost immediate. If you don't get bites within a day or two, the price is too high.

In the end we were shocked at how much cash we raised. Your average upper-middle class schmoe has LOTS of stuff that can be sold.

Regrets? Maybe we should have held on to a couple of things, but in general, no.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #215
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still with the plan, just small stuff, at least 7 items a week. Now to get over to Wednesday weigh-ins.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #216
Administrator

I admit that I ran out of steam. But, Frank said today that he wondered how much of his stuff he really needs. Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if he started getting rid of things.

Earlier today I downloaded a free copy of Thoreau's Walden for my Kindle, and read some passages aloud to Frank since Frank's recent thoughts seem to echo Thoreau's written words from long ago.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I admit that I ran out of steam. But, Frank said today that he wondered how much of his stuff he really needs. Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if he started getting rid of things.

Earlier today I downloaded a free copy of Thoreau's Walden for my Kindle, and read some passages aloud to Frank since Frank's recent thoughts seem to echo Thoreau's written words from long ago.
good stuff walden... we are still on the trek to get rid of all of our stuff an move into an rv when i retire...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #218

I was out of steam too, and almost out of stuff to get rid of - until I went into the attic yesterday. Now I have a whole new world to organize. I'll start by getting rid of all outside Christmas lights/trees, etc
Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #219
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sold two old radios and some associated parts yesterday. Have not done much else lately. Too busy doing spring things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02021.JPG (145.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02025.JPG (135.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Anyone else still trying to simplify?
We listed 4 things on Craigslist on Saturday and have sold three of them.
I haven't updated this thread lately!

Sold off an old surfboard which I initially estimated was worth about $50. The Craigslist research pegged it at $160, which I happily accepted from a newb surfer. We both feel we got the better part of the deal.

Cleaned out "the" desk drawer. Threw away old debit cards (for a home-equity loan that we canceled last year) and reorganized a lot of the loose junk. Still couldn't bear to part with Dad's and Grandpa's old slide rules, although that'll probably happen in the next few years.

Donations to Goodwill and others: Got rid of parts to half-a-dozen reading glasses. Got rid of a bag of "spare" wristwatch parts (I rarely wear one anymore). Got rid of a clock that I was given a few years ago that's never really been useful. Reframed a certificate and got rid of another old frame.

This doesn't count as physical decluttering, but I've shut down a Juno e-mail address and I'm shutting down my old Hotmail addresses. I was able to move 15 years of e-mail archives over to Gmail and archive them to Thunderbird on my hard drive. (They're also truly searchable instead of whatever Hotmail does.) Now I'm only monitoring one consolidated e-mail address for four accounts and no longer logging in all over the place.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote