Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #241
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Thought those reading this thread would be interested in this blog post:

The Clean-Slate Guide to Simplicity | zen habits

I'm also interested in some other aspects of decluttering:

1. Is anyone decluttering other things in their lives besides their physical stuff? (Relationships, todo items, standing commitments that don't "fit" anymore, etc.)
I have dropped contact with all relatives. Have no commitments beyond paying for goods and services.

Quote:
2. Does the decluttering of physical stuff transfer to non-physical stuff or not?
non-physical is ahead of physical

Quote:
3. Any tips for dealing with common decluttering but's?
a. But it was a gift
b. But I might need it someday
c. But...

2Cor521
My main problem in physical decluttering is laziness.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would be happy for everything that I will never need again to just disappear from my house (and basement).

It's just that I don't know "which" things those are...
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I would be happy for everything that I will never need again to just disappear from my house (and basement).

It's just that I don't know "which" things those are...
That's one way; I sometimes pretend I'm moving. "Three removes are as bad as a fire" B. Franklin

I put a lot of stuff into bags and made an appt. with Salvation Army to pick up in two weeks. If I don't need any of it by then, out it goes. After two years, I now know I don't need many of those w*rk clothes for special occasions, just two or three will do for a few more years and then, if necessary I can go shopping.

I've very inspired this week because I have a (rare) houseguest coming next week. When she leaves I'll dump the extra bed for its storage space.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #244
Gone but not forgotten

Sent a box of clothes off to an internet friend.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #245
Moderator Emeritus

I finally bought a new laptop, which means I can finally get rid of the old laptops.

Gazelle.com claims that a six-year-old Dell Inspiron D505 is worth $39 and a four-year-old Dell Inspiron 710m is worth $88. All I had to do was pack them up and ship them in. I've done the packing & shipping ("free shipping" on the Mainland, $12.95 from Hawaii), and now I'm waiting for Gazelle to cut a check.

I sorted through a three-inch binder of paper files, ending up with a quarter-inch stack of paper and nearly three inches of scrap paper. We use the blank side of our scrap paper for most of our laser-printing needs, so this should last us at least a year.

Our kid is in the final 15 days of frantically sorting through her possessions: "pack for college", "mail to college later", "storage", and "surplus". The first category is her problem, the middle two are going in Tupperware containers for her to request when ready, and whatever's left over is going to Goodwill.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This week I took a large microwave cart (with drawer and cabinets) to Good Will. One more albatross GONE....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #247
Full time employment: Posting here.

LOL, Nords - I checked my 7 year old Gateway on Gazelle.com and the response was, "Darn, this item has no cash value". LOL, what a piece of junk!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #248
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I finally bought a new laptop, which means I can finally get rid of the old laptops.

Gazelle.com claims that a six-year-old Dell Inspiron D505 is worth $39 and a four-year-old Dell Inspiron 710m is worth $88. All I had to do was pack them up and ship them in. I've done the packing & shipping ("free shipping" on the Mainland, $12.95 from Hawaii), and now I'm waiting for Gazelle to cut a check.
I did this through cashforlaptops. Their site indicated my Dell Inspiron was worth $95. Upon receiving it, they called with an offer of $70. After I told them to send it back to me (their website said they would return at no cost if you did not agree to their final offer), they decided $95 was a fair price after all. I am curious if you will have a similar experience.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #249
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
After I told them to send it back to me (their website said they would return at no cost if you did not agree to their final offer), they decided $95 was a fair price after all. I am curious if you will have a similar experience.
Me too.

It's not as if I have any negotiating power. The older laptop has a dying/dead DVD drive, and the "newer" laptop has a 50-minute battery. The most valuable items in the shipping box are probably the battery chargers. I'm just happy that they won't end up in a landfill, or at least not at my hands.

But I still paid an extra $2.75 to insure the box against going MIA.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #250
Gone but not forgotten

Packed up a box of L and XL clothing (been in closet for years) to send to a
net friend who has lost a lot of weight.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

My files were getting ridiculously large, so this afternoon I went through them and shredded a lot of papers and receipts that are definitely no longer necessary. The result was about 50 gallons of shreddings, as well as fewer papers to store, file, and take with me on hurricane evacuations.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #252
Gone but not forgotten

I cleaned out our pool storage yesterday . I threw out an old kiddie pool , several floats and an old inner tube . After our company leaves Gary & I are attacking the den .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #253
Moderator Emeritus

20 years ago, before Home Depot & Lowes came to the islands, you saved every scrap of material because you never knew what you'd need. These days we sort through our supplies boxes, look at the various options, make a plan, and end up going to a store.

This week we had occasion to haul around our "hardware supplies" and "plumbing supplies" boxes a half-dozen times, so we decided it was way past due to clean them. I must have put over 200 small slot-head screws in the recycle, along with dozens of old rusty bolts. (No worries, we kept mostly Phillips-head screws and we have plenty of new shiny bolts.) Turns out that we also had four kits of toilet bolts, two broken shower heads, more escutcheon plates & faucet handles than currently in use. But we kept our spare spring-loaded toilet-paper shaft. You never know.

Remember when a 1970s adolescent was only cool if his bicycle had a bright orange flag flapping from a five-foot fiberglas pole mounted on a bracket attached to the rear axle? I don't remember what happened to my own flag, but yesterday I finally decided to part with that bracket.

Soon we're going to go through the "sprinkler parts" and "hanging parts" boxes. I don't think I'm mentally or emotionally ready yet for our "electrical" box.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Decided to get rid of clothes and shoes that are too small for youngest child. Organized the 7 fishing poles and all the tackle boxes that I have. There are only 4 of us who fish, good thing I have enought tackle for 20!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #255
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

During our recent trip to Australia we finally got around to dealing with "stuff" we had in storage. One lot had been in storage for 15 years, the other 5 years. These things were held in different locations.

I dealt with the 5 year storage lot first. I managed to reduce 150 boxes plus furniture to 8 boxes. A lot of the "stuff" was donated to relatives and I did hold a garage sale, something I will never do again. Must say it was a bit emotional dealing with some of these things, however by time I got to box 100 I was able to pretty much deal with it in a rapid manner. I was so over the entire process. I had so much paperwork to take care of, most of which needed to be shredded. There was not a bulk facility I could pay to do this on my behalf, so many hours were spent bent over a shredder. Luckily I have a 12 yo niece who was willing to enter my employment for the purpose of doing the dirty work.

2nd house lot had been in storage for 15 years. Once again had about 100 boxes plus furniture to deal with. Donated all the furniture to a cousin who will shortly be moving out of home. Found someone who was down on their luck who was happy to take the rest off our hands. By the time I had to deal with this lot I was well over the entire process and kept a total of 2 boxes of goods. All I kept thinking was what bad taste we had and why did we keep it. Think it helped us to make decisions in a split second on this lot because we were going thru it in the garage in the middle of winter and it was far too cold to spend too much time on.

So I think we have done really well in disposing of all these things that were weighing us done. Of course this has now given us the itch to go thru the things we have at our current location with the idea of downsizing. Going to give ourselves a break for a few months, but intend to get stuck into the paperwork which is a dead weight.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #256
Gone but not forgotten

I sent off a box of winter coats and sweaters and tshirts to someone who moved from FL to CO.
Because I will never be 110# again.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

I did the ultimate declutter operation...ex-dh2b showed up and removed all of his belongings FINALLY. I had been allowing him storage while his new abode was remodeled. 6 truckloads of furniture and odds and ends and it is ALL GONE.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #258
Moderator Emeritus

We've been going through the garage's project boxes... so far we've cleaned out "Hardware", "Plumbing", "Hanging", "Sprinklers", and "Casters & Knobs".

I think we've dumped over 10 pounds of formerly valuable bits & pieces of just about everything.

Next up are "Electrical" and "Extension Cords". And wait until spouse discovers the repair supplies for 1980s vinyl car seats...

Next week we're going to the local elementary school with craft supplies, redeemable containers, Boxtops for Education, and laser toner cartridges. One way or another, six full bags aren't coming home.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

We took several huge loads to Good Will this week. Now, I only have 20% of the amount of stuff in my kitchen cabinets and drawers, that I had last week. I also threw out several bags of things that weren't good enough for Good Will.

This morning I went through my household chemicals, since apparently the Parish (=County) has a site where we can take household chemicals for disposal for free. About half I might use between now and moving day, but there are a dozen or more that will not be needed. We will probably try that later this week.

Tomorrow I am calling the Salvation Army to pick up my china cabinet, dining table with leaf and six chairs, Laz-y-boy sofa, coffee table, and end table. That will be a huge step in the right direction.

More Simplifying Saturday
Old 11-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #260
Moderator Emeritus

More Simplifying Saturday

Now that Black Friday has kicked off the holiday season, spouse and I essentially avoid the crush of traffic and humanity by not leaving the house until January. Except for critical surfing expeditions.

This affords an opportunity to pause our busy lives for thoughtful reflection... on all the excess crap we've accumulated. I bought spouse a TV Ears speaker box for the holidays, so we started rearranging the livingroom TV wall unit.

Some background: In the early 1980s spouse and I were stationed overseas while the U.S. dollar was very strong. "High-end" stereo equipment was so "cheap" that we treated ourselves to gear which we'd never need to replace again. (Turns out we were right, just not the way we expected.) In the early 1990s spouse started recording her favorite TV shows to watch at her convenience. As VCRs showed up on Craigslist and in pawnshops got cheaper, we eventually ended up with seven of them. (Most of them were displaced a couple years ago by two single-tuner Series2 TiVos, but she held on to two VCRs "just in case".) As the 1990s drew to a close and videocassette rewinders began to disappear from production, I bought Radio Shack's last three on Oahu and stashed them against breakdowns. All of these precious electronic boxes ended up crammed into our livingroom wall unit along with RF amplifiers, spaghetti cords, power strips, and voltage conditioners.

Yesterday, after we connected the TV Ears, we unplugged her 1980s Pioneer "Advanced Technology Receiver" and her 1990s Sony five-CD carousel. Then we unplugged her 1980s four-foot-tall DCM QED speakers ("Hey kids, back then big speakers were a good thing!") and converted them to tchotchke display stands. Finally we unplugged her 1983 Technics turntable. I felt that we could give up the videocassette rewinder stash. We left one VCR connected to the TV (we never know when our grandkids are going to want to watch Janet Jackson's "Black Cat" video) and rearranged everything for aesthetics.

Enough gear disappeared to plug in all the remaining electronics (except the TiVo) into one power strip on a switched receptacle, so we can turn off the vampire loads. I bet the 1980s receiver alone was consuming a toaster-oven worth of standby power. I could probably remove the RF amp too but I don't want to push my luck.

Today spouse is going to move around the wall-unit shelves to more effectively display still more tchotchkes that she'll shortly be bringing home from garage sales. Then we're going to move her CDs (already copied to our iTunes folder) and her LPs to my 1986 stereo rack. It's on wheels so we'll be able to put the turntable on it, add a laptop, park it next to my recliner or my desk, and decide which LP tracks we care about while I'm reading or doing paperwork. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to transfer the tracks with Audacity or just buy the damn things from iTunes. Eventually we'll also dispose of the turntable, a hundred or so LPs, and the stereo rack.

I'm going to go through an entire drawerful of cords, connectors, microphones, and cables. I bet we keep about a third of them and recycle the rest by the pound. The receiver, CD carousel, VCR, and rewinders are waiting for the next e-waste day. I'm also getting rid of a "spare" 1982 Onkyo receiver (remember "quartz synthesizer phase-locked loop tuning"?).

Next up: our audio cassettes. First I have to find a tape player...