Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Since Zenni optical and 39dollarglasses made it much less expensive to buy, I have purchased a lot more eyeglasses. I have prescription readers and computer glasses scattered about. I now have accumulated a number of eyeglasses that I don't use anymore, too weak or whatever. Any place to give these away? Or are they worthless? There must be some people in some third world country with sight as bad as mine and in need of glasses.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Some civic organization once collected used eyeglasses for this very purpose. Was it the Lion's Club maybe?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is the Lion's Club . After I had my cataracts done I donated all my glasses to them .Volunteer Organizations: Lions Clubs International
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #264
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Any place to give these away? Or are they worthless? There must be some people in some third world country with sight as bad as mine and in need of glasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Some civic organization once collected used eyeglasses for this very purpose. Was it the Lion's Club maybe?
I've been hoarding my broken ones to combine into a new complete pair.

But for unbroken ones that no longer have the "right" prescription, our local library still has a Lion's drop box. I don't know if they do that nationwide.

Costco's eyeglasses dept may also know where to donate.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks folks.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a link that may help you locate a convenient donation site for used glasses.

Search for donation location
Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #267
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Here's a link that may help you locate a convenient donation site for used glasses.

Search for donation location
There must be something quirky with their search as no locations appeared in the several states I searched.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

I just packaged my glasses up and mailed them . Several pair will fit in the small priority box .
Old 12-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #269
Moderator Emeritus

I just emailed the local lions club contact and he told me I could drop my glasses off at his office! Nice guy.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #270

Quote:
There must be something quirky with their search as no locations appeared in the several states I searched.
I think it is very limited. There was one in Washington that showed up, overall not very helpful, sorry for posting that without exploring it first.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

I no longer need my Toshiba laptop purchased new in 2003. How best to donate/discard this item? Please share your ideas. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I no longer need my Toshiba laptop purchased new in 2003. How best to donate/discard this item? Please share your ideas. Thank you.
Pay Goodwill to take it?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I sent my previous laptop to cashforlaptops.com and received $95. It was a 5 yr old Dell. Lots of these type sites around, and they typically send you a box and pay for shipping as well.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #274

Quote:
Since Zenni optical ...
This is far off topic, but I'll mention that Zenni's default 1.50 index material, probably CR39, is best for my computer glasses, I've found, since the polycarbonate 1.57 index and above give a whitish cast that I find unpleasant.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #275
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1. Check your local high school's computer teacher for cadaver donations.

2. See if there's an e-waste collection day in your neighborhood. They seem to congregate around community-college campuses and shopping centers.

3. Stay far away from Gazelle.com. They don't do free shipping from Hawaii, and they estimated that our two six-year-old laptops would net over $100. Upon opening the box at their HQ they "discovered damage" which coincidentally reduced their rebate offer to almost the exact amount of money I'd spent on shipping.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #276
Moderator Emeritus

We finally have our scrap electronics piled in the closet, ready for the next e-waste day.

When a shipmate was turning over the tenants in her condo, the old tenants left behind two wooden barstools and a cocktail table. She staged the condo with the furniture, and last week the new tenants let us know that they were finally done with it. Since our 27" CRT TV still works fine, we also were ready to give it away instead of disposing of it as e-waste. So we put these items on Craigslist.

I don't know if 'tis the season or the recession overhang, but our phone started ringing as soon as the RSS feeds picked up our posts. The table was gone in 30 minutes and the bar stools didn't last much longer. The TV finally left after four hours. The nice thing was that we didn't have to haggle over prices: "No, we're firm on $20 for the table, but we'll throw in a free TV!"

BTW Scott Adams must be reading this board-- he's proposing "National Discard Day":
Scott Adams Blog: National Discard Day 12/06/2010

Unfortunately the comment spammers seem to have taken over his blog... usually they're pretty entertaining.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Recently got a new fridge and stove - our unimaginative Christmas gifts to one another.

I used Craigslist to get rid of my 20 year old old stove - claimed in 15 minutes and gone in a couple of hours. I could probably have sold it for a few bucks, but on the hassle meter, free works best for low value items. The response to free stuff in this area (SE MI) is incredible.

I had Sears take away my fridge because it was an energy hog and I didn't want to see it running away in someone's garage for the next 20 years. Plus, delivery and takeaway was free via a rebate.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #278
Administrator

Took another small plastic grocery bag of miscellaneous excess stuff to goodwill yesterday. It's amazing how easy that is to do when you get in the habit of going there. We were driving by Goodwill on our way to somewhere else, and just paused for a few seconds to donate.

Christmas is coming, so charitable organizations like Goodwill need donations even more than ever right now. I would encourage you to clean out your closets today and donate. Don't forget to include excess coats in this cold weather.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
BTW Scott Adams must be reading this board--
Oh! I am thoroughly convinced of it.

Juicebag.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

I had Sears take away my fridge because it was an energy hog and I didn't want to see it running away in someone's garage for the next 20 years. Plus, delivery and takeaway was free via a rebate.
I'm just curious about the 'energy hog' comment. Do you know how much energy it used compared to a new one? Compared to manufacturing/shipping a new one?

I ask because I keep hearing how much energy the old ones use, but I have an 18 YO fridge that we kept and put in the basement. It was using electricity at less than $10 per month rate (at ~ 10 cents/kWh). A 22 YO freezer (still in use) used less than $6.50/month.

I kept a Kill-a-Watt meter on there for several days to get a good average. I assume it's even less now, as the fridge isn't opened very often in the basement, and the average temperature there is lower.

Yes, the replacement fridge is more efficient, but it's not a huge difference in absolute terms. Hah! I just looked in the manual, and they don't even provide this information! I thought this info was soooo important? I know it was online, guess I'll have to search and print it out.

-ERD50