Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #301
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Of course they ran. Natural enemies...
Good point!

... or maybe they were choking back their laughter as they ran away:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sammy the Owl.jpg (21.7 KB, 5 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #302
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This Thread is more than 317 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
Why, thank you, vBulletin, but I do feel it's necessary. And after all, it's Saturday.

Hard to believe it's been so long since the last update.

Our house is built on the north side of our lot, and between the sidewalk and the border wall we only have a planting strip a couple feet wide. It's been taken over by palm trees, but for some reason they haven't sprouted all along the strip. Maybe it's a lack of nutrients or sunshine, but their palm roots make it darn near impossible to dig in there.

A neighbor of ours has been cleaning out her yard, and she was getting ready to throw away a wheelbarrow full of bromeliads. It turns out that bromeliads like that type of environment, so spouse has filled in the rest of the space. Best of all, I can cut down on the water there. It'll slow down the growth rate of the plants and cut back on our yardwork, too.

And who knows, maybe the bromeliads will improve the soil quality for the palms to give it another try.

So what have you simplified lately?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromeliad 2012 side yard new planting.JPG (742.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Bromeliad 2012 side yard closeup.JPG (666.8 KB, 6 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #303
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am once again hinting around for threatening Mr B to "simplify" his office in one of the spare bedrooms. He still has paperw*rk and "stuff" in boxes on the floor, for over 2 years now.
He swears he knows where everything is.
But I shall be a nice lady and just go to the beach at Lake Ontario tomorrow while he cooks for and hangs out with the guys at the Legion for the annual Father's Day breakfast.
I will help out for a few hours then off I go to improve my tan and make another sand creation.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #304
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just renegotiated my bundled media package, leaving me with basic phone high speed internet, and access to 22 basic channels. That will save me ~$60 per month from the standard rate. I had had a great deal for the first year, but that's over. This is easier than finding another provider.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #305
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, boy, our local high school is hosting an e-waste day on Saturday 14 July!

We're going to empty half a closet of our 1980s stereo gear. (Remember "Onkyo" and "Technic"?) I might even get rid of a "functional" (but toner-spewing) color laser printer.

Speaking as a decor-challenged guy (I know, "redundant"), xkcd has found the perfect image to express my approach to home furnishings and organization:

Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #306
Moderator Emeritus

Boy did we get rid of a load of e-waste from our "Goodwill Closet" today.

I won't miss our HP color laser a bit, along with all the keyboards & mice that have accumulated over the years. I got rid of cables & connectors that are only of interest to the Computer Museum. I donated a KVM switch, a Palm Pilot, several old CD drives, a 1990s answering machine that used cassette tapes, and the aforementioned classic stereo gear.

But wait, there's more.

When we were loading up the car we went nuts. A couple months ago we went to a family wedding, and I managed to get special dispensation to wear aloha attire instead of a coat & tie. The other day I joked to my daughter about renting my tuxedo for her (someday) wedding, and she said she'd rather have me wearing an aloha shirt & slippers. That means I really don't need any Mainland formal wear anymore.

I've had a dozen dress shirts in that closet for "someday" since at least two years ago, so I added those to the pile. I also got rid of my last sportcoat. I am now completely devoid of neckties, including many that are older than our daughter. I even got rid of two windbreakers that I've been schlepping around for over 30 years and will never wear again. (One of the windbreakers had a participation patch from the 1980 presidential inaugural parade.) It was a total of seven grocery bags of clothing.

We can play racquetball in our Goodwill Closet now...

Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #307
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am getting a bag of books together for the library book sale that is coming up. Half of them were books that I bought from last years sale. No big deal because they were very cheap.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #308
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great thread idea. I'll have lots to add in coming weeks as I prepare for a move.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote