Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Yesterday I gave ~dozen shirts/tops (XL) to housekeeper.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok, finally done with the razzafrazza washing machine repair. Wooly boogers no longer live underneath the laundry machines.
Today's points are scored for decluttering the laundry room...
1 pair of Wolverine boots unworn and 1 sleeping bag unused since Adirondack camping days in 1980-90s,
1 pair of xcountry ski boots that fit older skis, and
1 softsided 5 Qt LL Bean cooler...
are sitting in the back seat of the Jeep awaiting the next donation run.

I'm celebrating with a nice cold Rolling Rock brewski. "33"
Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
5 "orphan" pieces from a 35 year old set of Corelleware
"Orphan" IS the pattern of our set of Corelleware...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"Orphan" IS the pattern of our set of Corelleware...
And here, I could have sent them to you to compliment your collection!

I threw LBYM out the window and bought new Corelleware at Wally World a few years ago. Ah, the luxury of it all!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I took the following to Goodwill:

electronic dartboard in cabinet
3 baskets
3 clothing items
2 washing machine hoses
2 decorative tins
1 small stuffed toy
small wooden box
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We got this out-of-focus blanket at a Christmas party, and it's nice, but we have enough throw blankets. So just for this thread, I gave it to the hospice thrift store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blanket.jpg (637.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, I’ll play but take an “F” this Saturday and make you all look good. I’ve got photos of the stuff that was recovered today from the throw-out box. Came across a recipe for slow-cooking cracked grain cereal in a thermos and took these thermal bowls out. Figured I could still use the assorted tupperware as well. The usused wooden photo box is to be re-purposed. I did find a recyclable bottle top (not pictured) mixed in with the tupperware, will put it in recycling bin. Throw-out box is now empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7101.jpg (339.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7103.jpg (369.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7102.jpg (424.7 KB, 2 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I think I deserve extra credit. This afternoon I was telling Frank about this thread, and (even though he rarely posts on the forum) he got the idea to donate several coats and other outerwear to GoodWill.

So, we dropped them off at Goodwill and then looked through the store, which is a fairly new branch. The building used to be a Chinese restaurant that we liked, before Katrina's flooding destroyed it. It is good to see a few businesses starting to re-appear in that shopping center. We didn't buy anything so the net effect was still simplification.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #29

I'm only going to count things that have actually departed the premises.

This week we managed to dispose of the following:

- I threw out 2 pairs of shoes
- DH threw out 2 tshirts
- Gave friends some assorted big boy toys - 3 remote control helicopters, stuffed bear as well as a couple of latterns and tea lights.

I made my 7 for this week, so onto scrounging up next weeks donations and making sure they leave my house.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

This past week I got rid of about 100 - 200 more books. It was several large storage boxes full - I'm not sure how many there were. Plus one of those fake owls that we bought to scare away mockingbirds. The owl never scared them off anyway.

All items went to Goodwill.

I've got another 12 books set aside tonight and am working on more.

Watching the show "Hoarders" has been a great inspiration.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

84 books to Goodwill. It was quite interesting to go through them. Some, I had to wonder, what was I thinking? I paid for that? Others were good reads, but from another time. Of course, I kept a few (hundred...).

Next week: Cleaning out the home office and one of three closets. Looking forward to it.

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I've already given over 100 office-ready garments in good condition to the Goodwill and 35 pairs of shoes, 5 pairs of boots. I sold about 20 old books to a used book shop for a pittance but if someone can use them, then that 's good. I emptied out an old crummy desk I've had since I was a kid and sold it for $15. I'm nowhere near done.

This week in between shoveling snow, I cleared off my desk and old magazines and put a lot into the recycling bin but it will be a while before they actually leave the premises since I can't get my car near the house until all this snow melts. Still it is a full garbage can full of paper. Shredded some stuff.

I'm just amazed at how much stuff gets lost in closets and other places. This will be a long time project for me as I pare down my stuff to that which I actually use.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

I found the best things to get rid of in my closet ! My old scrubs and nurse's shoes . Adios !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (516.2 KB, 1 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

This weekend: Just posted a zr800 camcorder to craigslist. Got new digital camera, so no camcorder needed any more.

DW broke 2 cups, so those are in the garbage now.

Threw out a huge stuffed animal of the kids. It had leaking foam stuffing material that was getting all over the house. DW also bagged up a grocery bag or two of kid's books, papers, broken crayons, pencils, etc along with some toys. I dumped these bags in the trash.

Also tossed out a cardboard box.

Last week it was some old cardboard boxes I had in my trunk, and a 19" monitor that had burn in.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I simplified the heck out of our TV watching.

The electronics are going to the local e-waste facility, and the remaining mountain of particleboard goes to the dump.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The master plan is in place.

There is now a huge pile of boxes and stuff in the middle of my living room, i.e. the collection of stuff to be sorted through and donated. It is in my face, it is in my space.

I grabbed everything I saw that was excess or unused for more than 1 year from the back computer room. The bookcase has been ID'd as the next target of interest.
I have good destinations planned for most of it. Church rummage sale for clothes and knicknacks and decorative items, Vets' Center for leftover office supplies from my sole proprietor business, local volunteer fire department for older audio/video recording technology.
There are already 4 bags to go in the Jeep. I will do all the dropping off in a single run, early next week.

This feels great!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #37

OK, I'm in, too!
DH and I sorted through 14 (yes 14) banker's boxes of old documents, printouts, tax returns, recipes, phone records, etc. and shredded 12 1/2 boxes of same.
Recycled about a dozen glass/plastic "tombstones" and other desk bric-a-brac, including a Baccarat crystal eagle that originally cost nearly $500. (There is a story behind the eagle. It was awarded to a local businessman when I headed up a local non-profit org. The recipient dropped it when he got home, breaking off most of the eagle's head. The next day, he called me and demanded a replacement. We got the original back and found a similar, but WAY cheaper glass one to substitute. I kept the headless eagle on my desk for years, vowing never to waste $$ like my predecessor did when he bought the crystal one in the first place.)
Also found several pillows, blankets and coverlets that are going to the local church-run shelter for the homeless.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #38

Four grocery bags full of paper records and outdated sales literature from failed home business went into the recycle bin. Two superannuated bottles of an herbal remedy went to the prescription recycling/disposal bin. (I had a whole box of stuff I took there last month but somehow missed these two.) About to go fix dinner. After that I will be working on some knitting or crochet, and that counts for simplifying because I am using up yarn that has sat in my "stash" for more than ten years. If I work on knitting, it will be caps for a charity that gives "ditty bags" to foreign seamen that come into port here; if crocheting, a baby blanket for a gift. Either way, it will result in yarn coming out of the stash and (eventually) leaving the house.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm going for the item-a-day thing, too.

Today's item was a black top. I've got two that are nearly identical. One is now in the Goodwill bag.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

A non-working ink jet printer to the recycler. One item down---many to go---but hey, it is a start.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote