Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
A non-working ink jet printer to the recycler. One item down---many to go---but hey, it is a start.
FIYes, that's pretty good!!

I have one item so far to start this week's 7 items. I decided to throw out some curlers (the sponge kind, for sleeping on). My curling iron is good enough for morning touch-ups if necessary, and with my curly hair that seldom is needed. I haven't used them in years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would like to request double points for this one...mwah ha haaaa

I just finished up a box of unsorted papers. Unimpressed so far?

The majority of the unsorted papers were all related to my former
w*rkplace. I found past performance reviews, memos from idiots OWCP staffers trying to reject/delay a legitimate Workers' Comp claim, award certificates for Excellent reviews, copies of technical reports I authored for in-house laboratory w*rk, yadda yadda yadda.

It is now all turned to fine ashes in my fireplace. It was SOOOO liberating to strike that match.

I retained all necessary personnel records I will need to file for my deferred pension in 5 years.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Freebird, you get TRIPLE points for that, plus a Lifetime Simplification Expert certificate (that I won't give you, because you know that you would just burn it up too!! )

I still have a bag full of that sort of stuff.... hmmm.... maybe I'll wait....

Old 02-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Freebird, you get TRIPLE points for that, plus a Lifetime Simplification Expert certificate (that I won't give you, because you know that you would just burn it up too!! )

I still have a bag full of that sort of stuff.... hmmm.... maybe I'll wait....
Wooohoooo...TRIPLE POINTS

I'll graciously accept said LSE Certificate and I promise not to burn it up.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Wooohoooo...TRIPLE POINTS

I'll graciously accept said LSE Certificate and I promise not to burn it up.
Oh yeah, right!! You probably promised not to burn up your
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825
award certificates for Excellent reviews
too.

Besides, I didn't REALLY make one, but you weren't supposed to know that.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Besides, I didn't REALLY make one, but you weren't supposed to know that.
I'm gonna go sit in the corner and eat worms...
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm gonna go sit in the corner and eat worms...
OK, let's see if this works:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg certificate.jpg (56.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, let's see if this works:
Aaawwwww, very sweet. I'm touched. TY

PS The first wise-acre who jumps on "I'm touched" is gonna get .
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

PS The first wise-acre who jumps on "I'm touched" is gonna get .
Oh, I love baseball. I'm posting this from iPod touch, so who's "touched" here? You, me or Apple?

Congrats, working with work papers is horrifiying. Very inspiring thread, Maurice. I sealed a box of old clothes today.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Went through my old college books .. I don't think I need that old text on computer technology from 1975! Got rid of some old Byte Magazines from 1984! Went through all my campground brochures sorted them by state and threw out hundreds of duplicates..
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay, I will start with this, but not sure how long I will play. Hopefully, for a long time. I have 4 paperback books and 1 hardback book set aside to pass along to my sister. I put aside 2 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shorts for the Goodwill donation. I threw out 1 bottle of expired Vitamin E.

Kudos to Maurice for starting this thread. You are making the world a better place already. Can't wait to see all the stuff that leaves one's household and can be put to better use in someone else's household. I have been meaning to declutter since retirement, going on 4 years, and you have inspired me. Thanks.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aaawwwww, very sweet. I'm touched. The first wise-acre who jumps on "I'm touched" is gonna get .
I was going to add that you're "special" and "touched by a higher power"...........

You should give that bat away to Goodwill.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Went through my old college books .. I don't think I need that old text on computer technology from 1975! Got rid of some old Byte Magazines from 1984! Went through all my campground brochures sorted them by state and threw out hundreds of duplicates..

What do you do with your old books? Library?, recycle?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Today I dropped off all of the stuff off at the church. It was quite an array of plastic bags and boxes.
I feeeeeeeel good.
The pile in the living room has been officially halved. Tomorrow is a good day to continue and finish it up.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Went through my old college books .. I don't think I need that old text on computer technology from 1975!
I agree with that perspective, but spouse has a different one.

She copiously highlighted & annotated all of her college textbooks during her classes, and even filed homework/projects with them. 25+ years later they're all still boxed up in the garage as "offline memory" reference. The technology may have moved on but she still uses them to make sure she understands what she knew before she goes after the update.

Quote:
Got rid of some old Byte Magazines from 1984!
This would be a good time to suggest that eBay and Craigslist should be consulted for values. Last year I was ready to ditch a dozen crappy-looking silver spoons and ended up earning over $150 on eBay.

A friend of mine pulls down $500-$2000/year going through garage sales for old aviation magazines. By "old" I mean "before 1990". Apparently some of them are collectibles, and he makes his money from the spread between 25 cents and $5.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
What do you do with your old books? Library?, recycle?
I have a used book store here that will pay a bit for them. $4 for a box of em or $8 in store credit.

I got 2 trash bags full of old unused fabric that I will give to a quilting friend to use or pass along. Shredded more ancient check copies and receipts. Loaded up another box of old books.

All this makes me sneeze and I woke up with a sinus headache. More allergy meds needed.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Kudos to Maurice for starting this thread. You are making the world a better place already. Can't wait to see all the stuff that leaves one's household and can be put to better use in someone else's household. I have been meaning to declutter since retirement, going on 4 years, and you have inspired me. Thanks.

Thanks.

The part that makes me smile is the thought of all those SO's out there thinking "I've been asking him/her to go through that crap for years to no avail, now some guy on the internet posts something and he/she is suddenly all motivated."
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I'll start - here's this week's item: (not my photo)

Its a few years old but still worth something to somebody (I got a new Mac in 08).

I'll be putting this up for sale on Craigslist. I'd do ebay for a wider audience but I don't want to deal with shipping it.

Midweek update - it wouldn't properly boot anymore, so its not going to sell (for anything reasonable anyway). It will be in Friday morning's garbage instead, sans hard drive.

Of course if I had sold it at the time of its last use I could have gotten a couple hundred for it.... such is the cost of proctrastination.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maurice,
If the hard drive appears good, but just won't boot to windows, you might try getting hold of a copy of Ubuntu. It's free, and may boot.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Midweek update - it wouldn't properly boot anymore, so its not going to sell (for anything reasonable anyway). It will be in Friday morning's garbage instead, sans hard drive.

Of course if I had sold it at the time of its last use I could have gotten a couple hundred for it.... such is the cost of proctrastination.

Here is an article outlining several web sites that pay you to recycle electronics, computers, etc:

Fiscal Fitness: Get Cash for Your Castoffs - Manage Your Life on Shine

FYI, I haven't tried any of the sites myself yet.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote