Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 Xmas motif round metal tins went out the door today, given to my adopted bro for his florist business. Bye bye...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I got rid of 20 old dress shirts that were so old they were frayed at the edges of the collars............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That book brought $35? Was alcohol involved?
I actually included the book. Too bad, because when I looked at it after placing the ad, I saw that it was pretty interesting.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not do good this week. Saturday seems to come too quickly.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I have a collection of very unique handpainted ceramic German beer steins, some with little statues (eagle, medieval King on a barrel), and a hunter's cap as lids, plus a free standing horn with an ornate pattern on it. They date back to the 1980s, and are just collecting dust on a downstairs bookcase. All have a West Germany or GDR imprint on the bottom (history buffs will recognize the significance).
So I contacted a friend who is soon to be Commander of his American Legion. I suggested that they would be excellent prizes for a weekly fundraising raffle @ $1 a ticket sold at the bar. He was instantly SOLD on the idea.
They are cleaned and drying...soon to be packed carefully and transported out the door for a good cause.

Here's some pics for you Beer Stein art lovers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steins1.jpg (30.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Steins2.jpg (25.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

More baby stuff today. An in-sink bath, a bouncy chair, a motorized swing, an infant seat, a baby bjorn carrier, and some clothes.

Fortunately a friend just had a baby last month so I have a good home for this stuff.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an interesting post from Jacob Fisker's blog on "The 100 Things Challenge".

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/20...challenge.html
Quote:
From a practical standpoint, it is far more important to consider
* How much volume does your stuff take up?
* How much does it weigh?
* How much do you use it?
But that's why his blog is ER "Extreme".

Heck, I think we have more than 100 things in our attic.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sent another box of about 15 hardcover books to the thrift store, Went through a drawer and a buffet with two drawers and two cupboards. Also a couple of boxes. Filled one and a half standard garbage cans with old papers. Found some newspaper articles about my Father from WW2. Also a couple about my Uncle. My Father and nine uncles from both sides were in Europe some for the duration. 1939 to 1945. Some went in 1941. The miracle, all survived.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That book brought $35? Was alcohol involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I actually included the book. Too bad, because when I looked at it after placing the ad, I saw that it was pretty interesting.
$35, does sound like a world record.

-----------

I hate you, Maurice. I’ve been putting in 12-hour days spring cleaning and re-organizing. Lost count of how many things went out this week. I pretend I’m moving and got very ruthless. The place is now in Plan C of re-arrangement. An old but not antique wardrobe (deep in the closet, scary pix) is going out next but will take another 12 hours to get to it, which will take it to Plan D. I wouldn’t quality for the “Hoarders” show but I identify. OTOH, I look like a piker compared to those of you who are already repainting the walls and baseboards, maybe next month.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7233.jpg (482.4 KB, 3 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #130

I managed to stay on track and achieve my 7 items this week. It was actually 7 items I had purchased prior to this challenge, I returned them all to sender and have approx. $500 coming back my way.

In the early stages this is rather easy to achieve at week 4. However, wonder how tough it is going to be by week 40?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #131

I sorted a box full of old paperwork and shredded half of it. I have stacked some magazines to take in to the office on Monday and leave in the kitchen for anyone who wants them.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

3/4 - 3/7 - Got rid of four planting sticks that I've never used.
3/8 - 3/19 - Got rid of 12 water bills (ebilling)
3/20 - 3/22 - Got rid of a cardboard box and two packing pieces

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #133
Gone but not forgotten

Lots of magazines going into recycle bin
Paperbacks and two hardcover books going to the libabry
My Mom going home after an eight day stay and she's taking her prunes and metamucil with her !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

The beer steins went out the door today, merrily on their way to the Legion for the raffle. I have a signed letter of receipt of donation for my 2010 taxes.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

This week I burrowed through the laundry room and found:

2 very old and very broken laundry baskets
4 partial rolls of different wallpapers
3 containers dried up paint
bag of installation instructions etc for my washer and dryer (kept the manuals)
an orange washcloth with a teddybear applique, that I never liked

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #136

Unloaded a BUNCH of stuff to a local charity group today. Old receiver/speaker system, tons of books, and tons of other nick nacks. Just had to call the charity, arrange pick up, and put the stuff out on our sidewalk. 3-4 large boxes full of "stuff". We can now enjoy our sunroom!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I rooted through two 'things' drawers in the kitchen. Things thrown out included many consumer-product operator manuals for stuff I no longer own, or really do know how to use. I'm a saver of manuals for everything I ever bought, but I'm guessing I know how to operate a bicycle light without instructions.

Also tossed the remaining 96% of a deck of cards (50 out of 52, the 2 apparently escaped somewhere).

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Computer clean-up week.. set up a domain (working on website) dropping our local cable internet connection(will save $50/month !), purchased a mobile broadband router for our Sprint broadband modem. Setup works great.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Computer clean-up week.. .
Does it "count" if you delete old emails and outdated files plus do a disk cleanup and defrag on your laptop to weed out old stuff?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...There is a pile of stuff on the floor in the back computer room that is going to be pulled out into the center of the living room, gone through, and unused stuff will be put into boxes for donation.
...The pile BEFORE the onslaught...
The pile BEFORE and AFTER the onslaught. The box shown in the bottom pic is the very same box shown in upper left of the top pic. It is essentially the donation "holding tank". It will be emptied this week.
Next up...either the bookcase or the clothes closets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PileBeforeFeb1309.jpg (321.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NoPileLeft.jpg (62.8 KB, 1 views)