Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My cleanup last week was focused on getting rid of old papers.
A grocery bag full of PII papers went to a free shred event Saturday and lots of paper went away in the recycle bin with the weekly trash pick-up. There are also a couple boxes of stuff that will be donated, but they aren't out of the house yet.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3/23 - 4/3 - Took 12 items of clothing to the local thrift store.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

The bookcase is under full scale attack...so far the oldest book is a Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking, circa 1958. I picked it up at a garage sale aeons ago. This cookbook is as old as I am. I'm still undecided what to do with it. It's failing the 1 year since used test, but passing the nostalgia test. (I need a nudge, I need a nudge )
2nd runner up is my freshman year Intro to Physics text, circa 1976. Gee I wonder if I will ever use it again? Guess where it is headed...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The bookcase is under full scale attack...so far the oldest book is a Mary Margaret McBride Encyclopedia of Cooking, circa 1958. I picked it up at a garage sale aeons ago. This cookbook is as old as I am. I'm still undecided what to do with it. It's failing the 1 year since used test, but passing the nostalgia test. (I need a nudge, I need a nudge )
2nd runner up is my freshman year Intro to Physics text, circa 1976. Gee I wonder if I will ever use it again? Guess where it is headed...
Don't know about the cookbook (it all depends on the degree of nostalgia). I compromised with the beginning physics textbooks - - disposed of one, but kept the other. I might want to go through the problems at the end of the chapters again some day. It has the answers to a lot of them in the back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Don't know about the cookbook (it all depends on the degree of nostalgia). I compromised with the beginning physics textbooks - - disposed of one, but kept the other. I might want to go through the problems at the end of the chapters again some day. It has the answers to a lot of them in the back.
I paid only a few dollars for the MMB encyclopedia of cooking, so my ROI is positive.
It's actually a very cool book. The illustrations are pretty interesting from my perspective, as I was wearing diapers when it was published. It has a great diet section, cooking in large quantities, table settings, old fashioned culinary rules, and any kind of recipe you could possibly think of.
I think I shall keep it around for historical purposes.

BTW, all Physics homew*rk is due by Friday.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

4/4 - Wedding ring (seems like I should get more than one day's credit for this item. Oh well.)
4/5 - 4/6 - Two books
4/7 - 4/8 - Two credit cards and their associated paperwork

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok - today I threw away about 40 CDs. (as in music). They have long since been moved to hard disk (and are backed up) and they are CDs I rarely listen to anyway.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Ok - today I threw away about 40 CDs. (as in music). They have long since been moved to hard disk (and are backed up) and they are CDs I rarely listen to anyway.
So how do you "manage" them on your HD? I mean what sort of Database do you use so that you can access the individual songs properly?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #149

Not too much this week. One green garbage bag of old papers to my burn barrel and a few old christmas decorations that had seen better days electrically to the trash pickup.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #150
Gone but not forgotten

I loaded a shopping bag with shoes mostly heels that I wore for special occasions and it's on it's way to Goodwill .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #151

Yesterday I gave my bread machine to a co-worker along with some really big roasting pans. She cooks big family dinners and I am no longer into that sort of thing. If I make bread in the machine, I will eat the whole thing so I am doing myself a favor by ridding myself of temptation. I can pick up a baguette or loaf of whole wheat when out and about.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #152

I've missed a couple of weeks, but have gotten rid of several items this weekend and there may be more to come if I get ambitious.

Yesterday: donated two old, non-working stereo components to the Goodwill. I asked at the donation station if they could use these even though not functioning and they said yes, so bye bye to those. I also "got rid of" an old small TIRA (by rolling it into my Roth), and thanks to E-R's FAQ on Roth conversion I knew not to pay the taxes out of the account balance, so I won't get hit with the 10% underage penalty.

Today: took four large sacks of packing popcorn to a local mailing service for re-use. Discarded two tote bags that were completely worn out.

I don't recall if it was before or after this thread started, but I've also discarded a few clothing items recently that were too worn out to be worth repairing.

Recycled last year's prospectuses and annual reports from the sub-funds inside my Ameriprise VA. I never read them, and I'm seriously thinking of cashing it in now, because my new IRA custodian (Scottrade) is having a promotion—you get a cash bonus for transferring funds in from another brokerage. It won't make up for the surrender charge, which sems like it's never going to go away. Even seven years after I was sold the darned thing it is still well over $500 on a balance of less than $10K. The promotional bonus will at least partly cover the account-closing fee . Cashing in the VA will really simplify things...I'll only have two retirement accounts, my 457 at w*rk and my Roth IRA. And my association with Ameriprise will be at an end!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So how do you "manage" them on your HD? I mean what sort of Database do you use so that you can access the individual songs properly?

No database, just the file system. I generally access them through itunes.

I should add, these are CDs I don't listen to anymore, the ones I do I haven't thrown away yet because I may re-rip them in a lossless format at some point. (they are now saved as mp3s)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

On target, cleaned out a bag full of stuff this week, and doing a one a day pare down the underwear. TMI?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

This week: Yet another large stack of magazines.. Even a money magazine from a few years ago saying how Apple was such a bad investment.. We had our electrical fuse box updated to circuit breakers a few years ago and finally threw out the old fuse box and fuses..
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Many old instruction booklets, sheets, and installation instructions for computer hardware or software that is no longer part of my system.

An old, frayed pillowcase, the last that I had of that design.

A purse that has seen better days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The bookcase is under full scale attack...
I'll confess...I still have 2 shelves to go to finish this j*b up.
I have set a goal of finishing the sorting/deciding process and transporting the books out the door, by end of this week.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll confess...I still have 2 shelves to go to finish this j*b up.
I have set a goal of finishing the sorting/deciding process and transporting the books out the door, by end of this week.
It's done!
Going for the bonus points with pics....

The boxed books are going away....and the final result. Woooo Hooooooo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bookstogo.jpg (24.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bookcaseAfter.jpg (27.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty good week here:

2 old window shutters I never put back up after painting the house
2 pieces of Lineoleum
2 Basketballs
1 bag of old lamp parts
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #160

Today I took 7 gallon cans of paints and stains along with a zip bag of old batteries to a hazardous waste collection event.

Thursday I got rid of 2 old scanners and an old webcam on Freecycle.

Wednesday I took a bunch of household items and clothes to Goodwill.

This week and last week got the recycle bin nearly full of junk papers. Have a brown grocery bag full of paper that needs shredding, waiting the next shred event (too much to put through the home shred device.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote