Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So how do you "manage" them on your HD? I mean what sort of Database do you use so that you can access the individual songs properly?
We ripped our entire CD collection to disk several years ago. We manage it with iTunes, and I must say that we enjoy our music collection much more now.

We have several playlist set up: some "smart" and some manual. For example: the light classical playlist includes all CDs whose genre is classical but excludes anything with "symphony" or "requeim" in the title or album name. This prevents having things like the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th symphony come on while you are having morning coffee.

When you rip a CD, iTunes contacts the Gracenote database, gives is the code from the CD, and gets the album name and track information in return. Some esoteric CDs are not included in the database, but not many. If you run across one, you can add the track info to the database if you want.

The analog output from our Airport Express feeds our amplifier, and we stream music from one of our laptops wirelessly. iTunes runs in the background and you never know it is there.

We gave the CDs to our friends, according to what kind of music they like.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Took it easy this week but did toss out about 10 things including that dull knife with the handle that falls off at first cut.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took a short sabbatical on decluttering because it was nice out.
Dress clothes leftover from c*reer days and misc from heavier body weight days are next up on deck...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

During the nice weather I cleaned up my garden shed. Took a couple of garbage pails of old broken stuff including some old pots and some outdoor Christmas decorations to the road for the garbage pickup.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

I only got rid of a few minor things this week. But now I'm watching "Hoarding:Buried Alive" on TLC, and I've got a whole new appreciation for the "simplifying" that I've done.

The people on the TV show have such a problem that they have to walk on top of their stuff to go from room to room - incredible.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #166

This week, I discarded or recycled lots of empty margarine tubs and their lids, plus many other jar lids. I use the jars for food storage and freezing, but I had many more containers than will fit in my freezer at one time, and many more lids than I had containers.

I threw away a lot of old droppers from cat medications.

I threw away four boxes of superannuated instant coffee packets, also from my flopped MLM business. I also have pre-packaged ground coffee, equally ancient, in individual packs to put in a coffee maker. Those I am going to open and dig the coffee grounds into my garden, and give the filters to my parents—they have a four-cup brewer and I think these will work. If not they can go in the yard waste bin.

I loaded a bunch of items into the back of my car for donation to a thrift store or Goodwill, but I won't count them until they're out of the car.

I think there have been several other things but I didn't write them down as I went so I don't recall what they were.

I cleared up a problem with garbage collection. Last summer, my recycling bin disappeared out of the alley, so I requested a replacement. Two replacement containers were brought. I started using one for recycling, leaving the other at the curb. Eventually, person or persons unknown filled the extra recycling bin with garbage. I took the garbage from the recycle bin and put it in my trash can (I didn't want to get hit with the extra charge for putting non-recyclables in the recycle bin, or the other charge for having more trash than the size can you are paying for.) Then I put recyclables in the bin and left it in the alley, but made the mistake of not putting it away immediately after pickup and it ended up full of garbage again! Once was enough on moving someone else's trash from can to can, so I called the customer service line and they told me how to get rid of the extra garbage and the extra can, and it's not going to cost me any extra. So this week, in addition to physical space wasters, I "got rid of" an irritating problem.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
We ripped our entire CD collection to disk several years ago. We manage it with iTunes, and I must say that we enjoy our music collection much more now.
(

The reason I asked was I "ripped" my CD collection and quite a number of vinyl albums on to HDs -- filled a 1TB disk and about 400GB on a 500GB drive.

That's as far as I got before life took me by the shoulders and accused me of "wasting" my time. Well, I did go one step further, I printed out the directories on the HDs so, at least, I know where each song is. (Yeah, a hundred and some pages.) Karen's Directory Printer

I am looking for some database program that does not involve a subscription to something like iTunes.

And maybe I should ask. Does something like Pandora or Slacker make iTunes less valuable?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

We actually received a compliment from SIL this weekend that our library/computer room/office looked really nice. I'm sure she didn't know why it looked nice, but we got rid of 300-400 gallons of old papers, junk, old computers etc! Thanks to DW's persistent cleaning efforts the room is mostly clutter free.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #169

Quote:
I am looking for some database program that does not involve a subscription to something like iTunes.
Puzzled look.

Subscription? As far as I know, iTunes does not require any subscription. If you have a Mac, it comes pre-installed. If you have a PC you can download it for free here:

iTunes 9.0.3 for Windows (64 bit)

You just import all of your song files and then make use of its categorizing features. Of course, they would like you to visit the iTunes store and buy some songs, but you don't have to.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Puzzled look.
Okay, okay. I will try it out when I return to my main computer. Perhaps there is a little Applephobia happening here.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

I finally transported those 3 boxes of books to the public library and a few odds and ends to the church for their rummage sales. It's been raining for the last 2 days and I've been goofing off for the last week and [insert any excuse].
I'm re-evaluating my desire to launch into the clothes closets. Maybe tomorrow...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Last Friday or Saturday it rained. So I took everything out of our closet, everything! at once!! Stacked it all over the living room. Including all the stuff that had accumulated in corner shelf unit. I put everything back that fit, that we liked and had worn in the last year or so. Everything that did not fit, needed repair (I dont' sew) was worn or faded or just things we did not like and use went into a pile in the living room. Also most of our old work clothes went but kept a few coveralls for mowing and crawling under cars. That afternoon the weather cleared and we took 4 large outdoor garbage bags full of stuff to Salvation Army. Makes me want to quit shopping.
I am also watching the Hoarding Nightmare shows. I have to be careful as both my mother and paternal grandmother are afflicted. I find it very hard to part with clothing unless I find it a good home due to the purchase costs. I also have a hard time with books. I will tackle them next rainy day.
Also gave an old laptop to my grandma's caretaker as hers had died and she cannot afford to replace it right now. It was not really worth selling as the battery was kaput and the power connector had to be jury rigged to work but it was still working so too good to throw away so I am glad to see it used.
I feel better now, my closet is tidy and I can hang up clothes without first herniating a disk trying to push some clothes over so I can get more in there.
2fer
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The reason I asked was I "ripped" my CD collection and quite a number of vinyl albums on to HDs -- filled a 1TB disk and about 400GB on a 500GB drive.
I haven't done anything about our vinyl yet, but I find that the LP album covers are quite useful for showing a teenager what we were thinking in the 1960s/70s/80s. She was also shocked to discover the utility of the concept of "liner notes".

Quote:
iTunes rocks. Last year for our Christmas present, our teen tracked down all the various bits of music scattered on our hard drives (and our CDs) and organized them under iTunes.

Instead of digitizing our vinyl, I'm probably just going to look online for my favorite tracks from those albums.

But we still have a turntable connected to our (1980s-era) receiver and our speakers (back when "big speakers" were a good thing), so we'll have to show our teen how to "drop a needle"-- she finds it all horribly fascinating.

If we ever have grandkids then I'm going to surreptitiously make them classic-rock music fans. I think I'll start with KISS...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

4/9 - 4/11: Donated three books to the local library.
4/12: Donated a used printer toner cartridge to the local library.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...I'm re-evaluating my desire to launch into the clothes closets. Maybe tomorrow...
I hit the jackpot! My housecleaner is here today. She is SO HAPPY to get my no longer used w*rk clothes. I have a collection of dress suits and blazers and pants that I will never wear again. I'm keeping only 3 that fit well. The rest are toast.
She and a class full of young women, just starting out, are going to take their LPN Boards in about a month and then start going on formal j*b interviews. What does not fit her is going to be brought to her nursing classes and set out for these young women to pick out what they want.

This feels WONDERFUL!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Dw and I are having a friendly "war". We are challenging each other to see who can do the most decluttering. The winner gets well, a "night of whatever they want"........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dw and I are having a friendly "war". We are challenging each other to see who can do the most decluttering. The winner gets well, a "night of whatever they want"........
Stripping (the house of clutter)?

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Going for the BONUS points with a picture worth a thousand words...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hangers.jpg (27.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Going for the BONUS points with a picture worth a thousand words...
So... extra hangers are on your list of things to get rid of, for next week?

Just kiddin'! Good job, freebird.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So... extra hangers are on your list of things to get rid of, for next week?

Just kiddin'! Good job, freebird.
TY for the atta-girl.

Funny you should mention hangers going out the door.
Each of the "power" suits and blazers DID go out the door on a hanger. The hangers pictured here were just the dressy blouses and slacks.
I was amazed at some of the clothes I found at the far left and right sides of my main clothes closet. My weight has fluctated a fair amount over the 25+ years I spent in the white-collar techie career. I was hanging onto both larger and smaller sizes instead of re-buying entire wardrobes.
LBYM...
Now I need to go through ONCE MORE and try on the remaining casual clothes to make sure they fit AND I will wear them. I made today's Stay/Go decisions based only on tag size and suitability for formal interviews.