Join Early Retirement Today

Its Simplifying Saturday!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its Simplifying Saturday!

Per the discussion in this thread, we're starting the Simplifying Saturday challenge.

The idea is to take the opportunity, once a week, to rid your self of some belongings. Some may sign up for the 'one item a day' plan, and will want to post the 7 items they'll be getting rid of that week. Others may just want to get rid of one item per week, or somewhere in between.

Besides the fact that decluttering is pretty much always a good idea, this can be a good LBYM exercise because it can help change your relationship with material goods. The more we decide we can live without, the cheaper life becomes.

So please post this week's entry or entries here. Tell us what you're going to get rid of, and how (ebay, good will, garbage, etc.). Extra credit is granted for photos, of course.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #2

I'll start - here's this week's item: (not my photo)

Its a few years old but still worth something to somebody (I got a new Mac in 08).

I'll be putting this up for sale on Craigslist. I'd do ebay for a wider audience but I don't want to deal with shipping it.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 AM   #3

Oh - and if you really want extra credit, get rid of something that represents an ongoing expense. Like that land line you don't use anymore, or the fancy cable package.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I took a sack of old financial statements to the office yesterday and shredded them on our big commercial machine before I started work. All the paper is recycled, too. I have a small shredder at home but this took only a couple of minutes.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #5

Well Tuesday I took a set of 1920 World Book Encylopedia, a box of mixed books and a few flat irons and gave them to our local charitable thrift store. Thursday my cousin came over and we went through ten boxes of stuff from his college days that was stored in my spare room. We put nine boxes in the garbage and kept one.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

dh2b gets credit for chucking out 2 pairs of worn w*rk shoes that were laying around in the laundry room, being "saved" for nasty jobs like changing oil or painting or resealing the driveway. They've been there for a year, and were never reutilized.
My stack of "too big" sweaters has grown all week. A w*rk in progress...
There is a pile of stuff on the floor in the back computer room that is going to be pulled out into the center of the living room, gone through, and unused stuff will be put into boxes for donation.
ROE: No mercy - if an item has been unused for 1 year, it is toast.

The pile BEFORE the onslaught...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PileBeforeFeb1309.jpg (321.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I plan to get rid of a couple of these.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I'm Nords, and I'm a computer hardwareholic hoarder.

The roving e-waste pickup will be in our neighborhood in a couple weeks, which gives me a chance to sort through all the relics I've collected over the year-- nine-pin "serial" cable connectors, 25-pin gender changers, chip pullers, PS/2 cables, 48x CD-ROM drives, KVM switches from two different 1990s companies, our previous desktop, our dead UPS...,

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a bag of books to the library this morning - still leaves boxes in the basement and the shelves all over ... they breed, you know.

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

This week I am getting rid of a 19" CRT TV. Still in working order. I am giving it away to a thrift store raising money for homeless pets.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #11

Extra desk chair to Salvation Army this morning. Sorry, no pic. You'll have to use your imagination.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #12

Got rid of some old socks with holes in them. I got tired of stitching them back up.

Im getting ready to cancel cable TV. I keep on looking for the 12 step program in regards to quitting. (not sock stitching)
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #13

How can you throw away all of this good stuff?

Free to collect junk
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to shoot for one item a day for the next 365 days. I don't have a lot of stuff to begin with, so I may be counting things that y'all think are insignificant. They're significant to me though. I'll be doing my purging on a periodic basis so I'll keep track thusly:

2/13 - 2/19 - Took seven old cans of paint from the garage to the household waste disposal at the local Fire Station.
2/20 - 3/3 - Got rid of 12 natural gas bills coming in my mailbox by signing up for paperless statements.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I cleaned my clothes closet and I have one bag for Goodwill and one bag for the garbage plus two dresses that I'll list on ebay . This has got me so motivated .Thanks Maurice !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Dw threw out all of our old cassette and vcr tapes. I have my old radial arm saw and a set of 6 car dollies on craigs list.

Thanks to Maurice for starting this!

Now I have to get this stuff sold and get next weeks stuff ready
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
There is a pile of stuff on the floor in the back computer room that is going to be pulled out into the center of the living room, gone through, and unused stuff will be put into boxes for donation.
ROE: No mercy - if an item has been unused for 1 year, it is toast.

The pile BEFORE the onslaught...
Breaking news ....the washing machine quit w*rking 1 day ago (unbalanced load) and we had to take a 1.5 hour round trip to North Somewhere to go get parts for the lid switch activator.
However...1 box of the previously displayed pile is all ready for me to sort out papers while dh2b wrassles the washing machine. I'm staying out from underfoot.
Oops, I was just summoned in real time by the appliance guy...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

OK, during the past week (in anticipation of this thread), I got rid of:

6 bottles of various kinds of hair goop or skin goop too old to use
2 pairs of contact lenses from 2004 that didn't work out
12 bottles of contact lense solutions of various kinds and sizes.
2 coffee makers
1 mixer (bowl missing)
20 pairs old socks and knee-highs, 1 shoelace
1 freebie visor with my agency's logo
5 "orphan" pieces from a 35 year old set of Corelleware
odd mugs and glasses
1 mostly evaporated bottle of Kahlua (I don't drink)
half a roll of tinfoil (seldom use it and have had two half rolls for 10+ years)
dozens of Mardi Gras throws (cups)
analog kitchen scale
1 gardening glove, other one forever lost
broken pruning shears

This week I want to investigate the under-sink cabinet in the OTHER bathroom. I am sure I'll find plenty there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #19

You know, I still want to go for the item-a-day thing too.

I think I can get 7 items by including the accessories with the laptop - extra battery, security cable, external floppy, case, etc.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Here is DW's contribution to "Simplifying Saturday": a leather computer bag.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote