Join Early Retirement Today

Re: It's so hot...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Not to gloat but the Bay Area is back to normal - 72F at 7pm with a gentle breeze coming in through the open sliding glass door to the back yard.

MB
I'm 15 minutes south of San Francisco and I'm basking in the fog (61 degrees) by the ocean 8) <sigh>

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
This board has too many "kayak" double-entendres and jokes about canoes/Canadian beer for us to decrypt your post. If your spouse isn't going to be working for a month then how many passengers does your, er, "kayak" hold?
JUST ONE!

Quote:
Nah, just kidding. As a veteran parent, I know that parents of toddlers don't just have sex on their minds.
What is this 'sex' that you speak of?

Quote:
You're far more excited about having her provide free childcare so that you can paddle around solo...
DING DING DING!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
Its funny...the only reason I know its hot out is because everyones been complaining about it...I can't say I notice any difference between this and any other year...and I don't even have air conditioning ( I own 3 but they are all packed away in the cellar and have been for years)...

I guess the heat just doesn't bother me much.
I had to do some errands around NYC on my bike. Rode only about 35 miles. When I got home about 4:30PM. I checked weather.com and it recorded 100 degrees and 46 % humidity. I was very surprised cause it felt more like only 85 - 90. Riding in the thick of traffic with hot cars and buses will add another 5 to 10 degrees to my personal discomfort. Don't get me wrong I prefer 75 over 100 anytime but I can tolerate higher and lower temps on my bike.

I think I might be ready for Tucson.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
I think I might be ready for Tucson.
When I lived in Tucson, I'd jog well in to the 90s, 100 being my absolute limit. I carried a camelback belt hydration system and downed 20 oz before, 45 oz during a typical 3-4 mile job. I'd wait til the sun was almost down, or almost up.

The safety side is not trivial. People really do die out there by pushing it. The best thing I found was a pulse meter. No matter how slow I had to go -- even walking if necessary rather than jogging -- I never let it stay above my target range of about 80-85% predicted max. Since heat exhaution will speed your pulse considerably, this was a nice double-check.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #25

The outdoor pool water here in N. Virginia was over 90 degrees this morning so I swam my laps in the indoor pool which was only 82 degrees. I will do my 3 mile walk very early tomorrow morning as the heat index is predicted to reach 110+.

Grumpy
Old 08-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never heard of this "heat index" you guys are talking about. Hot-weather equivalent of the wind-chill factor, I assume?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #27

DW and I do our 4 mile walks we carry 2 24oz water bottle each. Makes walking in the heat much more enjoyable. I try to avoid 100 plus days though*

I believe thats what the head index is like the cold factor. IE if its breezy and its 100 out it feels like 96. I could be wrong though. Humidity is probably figured in too.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I'm 15 minutes south of San Francisco and I'm basking in the fog (61 degrees) by the ocean* 8) <sigh>

We seem to be the only ones not complaining about the heat Gotta love that marine layer

MB
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I've never heard of this "heat index" you guys are talking about. Hot-weather equivalent of the wind-chill factor, I assume?
bpp,

That's right.

Maybe you don't know about the dew point either. The warmer the air the more moisture it can hold. The dew point is the temperature at which the current level of moisture in the air will begin to precipitate as dew. Any dew point over 70 is considered oppressive. Here in the D.C. area yesterday dew points were as high as 78.

Grumpy