Join Early Retirement Today

It's time to change the clocks again
Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
Administrator

It's time to change the clocks again

If was fun while it lasted, but it's time to pay back that extra hour we got last year on an interest-free loan. Sunday March 12, don't forget.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it works the other way. Last fall we got back the extra hour we were owed when we returned to the "real" time.

Right now where we live solar noon (sun at peak) is around 12:42pm. When we switch to daylight savings solar noon is at 1:42pm! During the our summer solar noon is around 1:30pm. I notice this. Way off from "noon" = 12pm.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
Administrator

Well, if you want to get all technical and everything, then yes, DST starts the cycle again. I just look at the change since the last transaction, though, project based on that, ignoring all previous benefits.

Any way you look at it, tomorrow we lose one hour of time. In return, though, we do get some extra sunlight. I guess.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

All this screwing with mother nature is going to destroy the planet.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, if you want to get all technical and everything, then yes, DST starts the cycle again. I just look at the change since the last transaction, though, project based on that, ignoring all previous benefits.

Any way you look at it, tomorrow we lose one hour of time. In return, though, we do get some extra sunlight. I guess.
Of course I get all technical. Whaddya expect!

We get a whole 1 min 32 secs more sunlight (daylight) tomorrow. Clever illusion though!

Timeanddate.com has interesting details if you ever really want to know. Change to your city, thus link is set to McAllen. https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/mcallen
Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

How many clocks do people still have to remember to change? All of ours, except one wall clock and the oven clock, know when to change themselves. A lot different from all the scurrying about and clock-changing of just a few years ago.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How many clocks do people still have to remember to change? All of ours, except one wall clock and the oven clock, know when to change themselves. A lot different from all the scurrying about and clock-changing of just a few years ago.
Just the stove and microwave. All the rest auto adjust - either atomic or connected to internet/cell.

Oh wait - and the car has to be switched.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ours does, too, and it's a 2015. But if we'd sprung for the bluetooth connectivity, I bet the clock would know the time zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Oh wait - and the car has to be switched.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Now that's I'm retired, I just don't care. If they didn't have schedules for things like football and NASCAR, I probably wouldn't even know what day it is most of the time.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many states are considering not changing to DST. Arizona and Hawaii currently the only states that don't change. Many (most?) people believe it's a waste of time to switch and actually causes issues with circadian rhythms and higher energy use.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

Usually, I don't really care one way or the other, but this time it will help me get over my jet-lag coming back to the US from from Europe yesterday. I don't re-adjust as easily as I used to, so this hour helps
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

In South Dakota counties decide whether to observe DST or not. So you really have to watch it when you are attending an event in another county.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One good thing about living in Arizona....no clocks to change!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
One good thing about living in Arizona....no clocks to change!
You don't have clocks in Arizona? How do tell the time?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You don't have clocks in Arizona? How do tell the time?
I ask Alexa!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Many states are considering not changing to DST. Arizona and Hawaii currently the only states that don't change. Many (most?) people believe it's a waste of time to switch and actually causes issues with circadian rhythms and higher energy use.
Just say no to DST!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think it works the other way. Last fall we got back the extra hour we were owed when we returned to the "real" time.

Right now where we live solar noon (sun at peak) is around 12:42pm. When we switch to daylight savings solar noon is at 1:42pm! During the our summer solar noon is around 1:30pm. I notice this. Way off from "noon" = 12pm.
Local solar noon is currently 12:01pm where I live. I like it that way. Tomorrow it will be 1:01pm.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #18

This article was in Forbes last week:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomzell.../#59264d2272eb

DST is pure torture on kids and early morning workers.

In 1973, the oil embargo led to year-round daylight savings time. I was in 9th grade and I took "A period PE", which meant class started at 7:10 AM. Most of my musician friends took that class, so we could take an extra music elective. It was a friendly well-behaved non-competitive class. But walking to school with my sister through the back field at 6:45 in the morning, no lights, with sunrise occurring at 8:15, was really hard, especially when it was raining.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Indiana used to have some screwy rules about time zones and whether they observed DST. The finally straightened it out in the last 10 years. My favorite story about that is when I was flying from NY to Cincy back in the summer of 2001 and sat next to a man who was connecting to Indianapolis. On his ticket it showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM EDT but arriving 45 minutes "later" at 2:45 PM Indy time (EST, or CDT). Looked like something out of the Twilight Zone!

While many of my clocks automatically adjust the time, some of the others such as regular clocks and watches I still have to adjust manually. At least my current car, one I have had for 10 years, has an easy "hour" button which adjusts the hour easily. My previous car's time adjustment was part of the clock radio and required some weird combination of turning dials to activate the time adjustment. Every 6 months I had to find the manual in order to figure out how to adjust the clock. Took me about 10 years to finally remember how to do it!

Another clock is a minor PITA in the fall because I have to hold the time button down to advance it 1,380 minutes (23 hours) in order to move it backward one hour.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
They might be onto something:
Quote:
More Heart Attacks
Being tired can decrease productivity, concentration, and general well-being. Studies have found that setting the clocks forward for spring increases the risk of heart attacks, road accidents, and sleep problems:
A Swedish study in 2008 found that the risk of having a heart attack increases in the first three days after switching to DST in the spring.
Traffic accidents increase on the Monday following the start of DST. Tired drivers are the main reason.
Depression Trigger
Losing 1 hour of afternoon daylight after setting the clocks back to standard time can trigger seasonal depressions like Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or winter depression. A Danish study found an 11% increase in depression cases during after the seasonal change. The cases dissipated gradually after 10 weeks.
However, when it comes to car crashes and DST, there were less accidents after switching back to standard time, probably due to another hoour sleep.
Disrupts the Body Clock
It can feel a little harder to get out of bed on Monday morning after springing forward 1 hour on the Sunday morning.
It may be difficult to get to bed at the normal time on Sunday night after the start of DST.
Children may feel tired and cranky for several days after an hour's change in their bedtime routines.
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst...ng-health.html
I have heard that it disrupts cows milking cycle but I suspect that is the farmers' problem.