It's time to change the clocks once again

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Daylight Savings Time is upon us once again. We get a free extra hour of sleep tonight. Don't forget to set your clocks back...

Thanks. I got my days confused and thought last night was the wind clock back night. When I got up was wondering why my computer was still an hour ahead. I was looking forward to some football, only to realize that today is only Saturday.

Retirement does that ... getting my days confused. :facepalm:

Daylight Savings Time is upon us once again. We get a free extra hour of sleep tonight. Don't forget to set your clocks back...

Free extra hour of sleep? You must be old. Don't you mean an extra hour of party time? Just kidding, i'll be in bed by 10pm which is like being in bed by 9pm. I guess i'm getting old now.

I always wait till I wake up on Sunday morning before I set the clocks back. Makes me feel like I'm really getting a huge freebie.

And that reminds me, I need to change the batteries in my smoke, water and carbon monoxide detectors.

Who set clocks at these days? Don't your clocks set themselves?

(slight exaggeration, but seriously, I think the only clock in our house that needs setting is the microwave oven)

I'm a big fan of my wall clock that syncs to the national time signal but I still have lots of work to do tomorrow. Pendulum clock, another wall clock, stove, microwave, bose cd/radio...

(slight exaggeration, but seriously, I think the only clock in our house that needs setting is the microwave oven)

I just have one I have to set myself.

With Saving Time ending we finally get our hour back. Upon that investment at least we should get some interest, an extra minute or two would be nice.

I got a head start on dealing with the "jet lag" from the time change, by sleeping an hour later than usual this morning.
6978-albums71-picture641.gif

What is this daylight savings time you speak of? ;) Actually, it's a real nuisance here in Arizona as some TV programs change time while others don't.

And that reminds me, I need to change the batteries in my smoke, water and carbon monoxide detectors.

I used to swap the batteries out on the time change as well.

But our detectors were over 10 years old and 'they' recommend installing new ones which I did this past March.

And in 2013, CA required detectors to have 10yr battery life.

So, no batteries to swap until 2025.

What is this daylight savings time you speak of? ;) Actually, it's a real nuisance here in Arizona as some TV programs change time while others don't.

The government decided to give the farmers an additional hour of daylight in an effort to boost crop production. Soon after it was implemented, the extra hour of daylight helped crop yields by an average of ~6-7% more, than without the extra hour of daylight.

On a macro level, it has helped reduce potential food shortages and increased grain production.

Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

While it is an inconvenience with TV shows, remember how much better your life, and grocery bill, is because of it.

Oh, sure. Some already did this a couple weeks ago.

I am NOT A FAN of clocks that have time change rules burned into their tiny little microcontrollers. The rules change from year to year. The don't even apply in some places. (Yo, Arizona and Hawaii residents. You like these smart clocks?)

The government decided to give the farmers an additional hour of daylight in an effort to boost crop production. Soon after it was implemented, the extra hour of daylight helped crop yields by an average of ~6-7% more, than without the extra hour of daylight.

On a macro level, it has helped reduce potential food shortages and increased grain production.

Even the cows grow a bit faster with the extra hour as they can eat longer. Imagine an extra hour a day just to eat and grow. It really makes a difference when you multiply the effect over millions of cattle.

While it is an inconvenience with TV shows, remember how much better your life, and grocery bill, is because of it.

Wha:confused:

How would cows know of an extra hour? The absolute time of light was/is the same.

Some of our clocks change themselves. Some we'll have to change. Some won't change. We travel Illinois-Arizona and the 2 hour difference between il and az during CDST takes me a few days to get used to. Not so bad when the difference is 1 hour.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Some of our clocks change themselves. Some we'll have to change. Some won't change. We travel Illinois-Arizona and the 2 hour difference between il and az during CDST takes me a few days to get used to. Not so bad when the difference is 1 hour.
We have one of those clocks that changes itself. It changed the night before last. :facepalm:

Wha:confused:

How would cows know of an extra hour? The absolute time of light was/is the same.

Sure they do, their alarm gives them an hour more to sleep.😆

Does anyone want all the extra daylight I've been saving, I kept it in what was a very dark box. After all these years there should be lots, a least the box is glowing.

Oh, sure. Some already did this a couple weeks ago.

I am NOT A FAN of clocks that have time change rules burned into their tiny little microcontrollers. The rules change from year to year. The don't even apply in some places. (Yo, Arizona and Hawaii residents. You like these smart clocks?)

+1

And on some devices with built in clocks, it took me a while to realize the DST ON/OFF setting was not to turn DST ON/OFF - it was to enable or disable their automatic adjusting for DST. Which, as you say, has rules that change, so the built in calendar in these things gets it wrong anyhow.

I was going nuts one year fighting all these settings from DST on/off (at the wrong time), then changing the clock by an hour to 'fool' it, and having it change back the next week when it thought the time change was.

Nope, while I'd prefer no change at all, I'd rather control it myself. Sure wish clocks had a +/- ONE hour button though. In my car, you need to hold the stem CW(fwd) or CCW (back) as it clicks through the minutes, and after about 20 clicks, it suddenly goes into super-fast-forward (hey - you must want to change the time by A LOT!), and then it rushes right past the hour! Now you are back in super-slo-mo, to get it back. And just as you get close, you better let go, or it goes back to super-fast-forward and passes the hour again. Takes me about five tries :facepalm:

Same with the radio synced clocks - I have to wait for it to sync at night, then remember to check the next day, etc. And remember that the time isn't right until it does sync - that's crazy. So much easier to just set it and forget it.

I love technology, but this is another case of the 'solution' being worse than the problem.

-ERD50

I vaguely remember an experiment with year-round DST, although I don't remember when it was. I believe everybody liked it, but it got scuttled due to "kids walking to school in the dark." Nowadays, what kid walks anywhere?

I vaguely remember an experiment with year-round DST, although I don't remember when it was. I believe everybody liked it, but it got scuttled due to "kids walking to school in the dark." Nowadays, what kid walks anywhere?

I loved it, hate the short days.
In 1973, Googled it, seems the claims there were more accidents, have a somewhat conspiracy type following. I do agree the kids don't even walk down the driveway to catch the bus out here.

OMG, that long ago? I was in school, myself. Had a long walk to the bus stop. Back then, the schools were running double sessions and I was on the early session, so it would have made no difference to us kids - either way, it was a long dark walk in the winter. Must've been my parents who liked it.

In 1973, Googled it, .

Every year, the same thing. I always forget about the clock in the car, and it always makes me crazy the next day (or sometimes couple of days).

Back
Top Bottom