Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
ditto for DW & I
And us too.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For Ms. G. and I it is a special day 31 years of married bliss.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
For Ms. G. and I it is a special day 31 years of married bliss.
Happy Anniversary.....
Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #24

I gave DW a practical (okay, cheap) Valentine's day present - a large 4 layer chocolate cake from Costco. She loved it. LBYM is great.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Eh, complete hallmark holiday.

I keep hearing this, and I don't get it. I remember Valentines Day since I was a kid, I don't think of it as a 'made up' holiday.

Now I do think that way of 'Sweetest Day' - and wikipedia agrees:

Quote:
Since Sweetest Day was invented by commercial interests which stood to profit from such a holiday, dissenting Cleveland residents refer to it as a "Hallmark holiday"[9] (although it was not invented by Hallmark Cards company).
But Valentine's Day (I'm pretty sure we had to call it Saint Valentine's day at the parochial school) has been around a while (also from wiki):
Quote:
The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, ...

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Administrator

From the History Channel, which may be no more reliable than Wikipedia, Valentines Day in England started to become popular in the 17th century, but like many Saints Days it was possibly created to compete against a pagan ceremony.

Quote:
While some believe that Valentine's Day is celebrated in the middle of February to commemorate the anniversary of Valentine's death or burial--which probably occurred around A.D. 270--others claim that the Christian church may have decided to place St. Valentine's feast day in the middle of February in an effort to "Christianize" the pagan celebration of Lupercalia. Celebrated at the ides of February, or February 15, Lupercalia was a fertility festival dedicated to Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture, as well as to the Roman founders Romulus and Remus.

To begin the festival, members of the Luperci, an order of Roman priests, would gather at a sacred cave where the infants Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, were believed to have been cared for by a she-wolf or lupa. The priests would sacrifice a goat, for fertility, and a dog, for purification. They would then strip the goat's hide into strips, dip them into the sacrificial blood and take to the streets, gently slapping both women and crop fields with the goat hide. Far from being fearful, Roman women welcomed the touch of the hides because it was believed to make them more fertile in the coming year. Later in the day, according to legend, all the young women in the city would place their names in a big urn. The city's bachelors would each choose a name and become paired for the year with his chosen woman. These matches often ended in marriage.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Quote:
They would then strip the goat's hide into strips, dip them into the sacrificial blood and take to the streets, gently slapping both women and crop fields with the goat hide. Far from being fearful, Roman women welcomed the touch of the hides because it was believed to make them more fertile in the coming year. Later in the day, according to legend, all the young women in the city would place their names in a big urn. The city's bachelors would each choose a name and become paired for the year with his chosen woman.
I am SO glad that I am not a Roman woman of that time. How dreadful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #28

Just another variation on celebrating Valentine's Day -

Naked woman found bound in back of Subaru; car's owner calls it Valentine's Day role-playing, Portland police report | OregonLive.com

I wonder if getting arrested added to the role playing thrill?
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Valentine's Day 1992 was about the time that spouse started popping positive on her urinalysis. No, not the Navy's drug test-- the pregnancy hormone test.

At the time I was on sea duty, and we'd spent most of January & early February at sea except for one inport liberty weekend. So when the OB/GYN asked for the estimated date of conception, my spouse was able to place it within a 48-hour period. That's her story and she's stickin' to it.

Today we reflected upon what a long, strange trip it's been. And in another eight-plus months we won't have a teenager anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am SO glad that I am not a Roman woman of that time. How dreadful.
I guess it's better than being a Roman goat or a Roman dog...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Remember popping out the valentines cards in those booklets?

I heard on the radio that there were actually 14 St. Valentines.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Remember popping out the valentines cards in those booklets?

I heard on the radio that there were actually 14 St. Valentines.
Will the real St. Valentine please stand up...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote