Join Early Retirement Today

iTunes University
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

iTunes University

iTunes University was mentioned in an article in the January edition of the AARP Bulletin received through the mail. I do think it's the first time I ever found anything useful in the bulletin (a happy surprise). Here's the link, with my disclaimer that the link may or may not work:

The New U.: How to Learn Just About Anything Online for Free - AARP Bulletin Today

There are other sources mentioned in the article, but I found the real gem to be iTunes University. As the article mentions, you will need to download free iTunes software (if you don't have it already), but everything in the iTunes University is free. The list of universities contributing material is impressive, and the courses and lectures are mind-boggling. Not only universities provide material; institutions such as the New York Public Library offer lectures, as well.

Some courses and lectures are video and audio; some are just audio.

Hope this post becomes a happy surprise for someone else (and you didn't need to read through the AARP Bulletin for it!).

LadyPatriot
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you, the article gives some interesting sites that will be fun to explore.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Thanks for posting that...very interesting what all is out there!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing I'm really looking forward on the iPad - animated textbooks! It's the illustrations that are so important.

Thanks for the info about iTunes university. When I first retired (10 years ago) there was already a bunch of stuff available on the internet from universities - courseware, syllabi, lecture notes, tests, etc. You can do a lot of self education from this stuff.

But it will be nice to see it more organized.

Audrey
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The best of the bunch is the MIT Open Course Ware. Free Online Course Materials | MIT OpenCourseWare

Not all of the courses have video lectures, but many do and they are good quality. I've used them for years to help me when working with the kids on their homework in physics, chemistry, calculus, etc. The videos are all on iTunesU, and the rest of the course material is at the link above.