Join Early Retirement Today

Jack Kevorkian
Old 06-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jack Kevorkian

Love him or hate him, he did cause us to consider end of life issues. He's gone now. I hope he went peacefully.

Ron Dzwonkowski: Jack Kevorkian got us talking about end-of-life care | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Agree 100% Purron. I think he was ahead of his time, and I hope history will look back on his life with respect.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The big question is?

Did he have help.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I found this to be a very interesting read:

Jack Kevorkian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy risked a lot to stand up for what he believed in. I got the impression that even the judges that had to rule against him based on law, had much empathy for his cause.

RIP.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

He raised some very good questions. I look at him as a hero. Hopefully, doctor assisted suicide will eventually be legalized in the US in every state.

It's kind of sad that we treat our pets better than we treat our fellow human beings when it comes to suffering and end of life issues.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

He was definitely a hero in some respects but a nut job in others. Maybe it takes a bit of a nut to push for major change.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

He did bring the issue to the forefront but IMO he pushed the envelope on some of his assisted suicides .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
But the question still remains~ Did he have enough integrity to bump himself off?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It seems hard to believe that he would have suffered...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #10

According to the article: "Kevorkian made us uncomfortable. Now he's gone. His lawyer says he died peacefully, in a hospital room, unassisted." This does not mean he did not practice what he preached, IMO, his thing is we should have the option. He might have had, but chose not to take it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
His lawyer says
Well, that settles it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #12

When I heard of his death, I went to my keepsake box and looked through it until I found a very important document. It was a coupon for one free visit to Dr. Kevorkian. Got it way back in Michigan when he was "in practice". Guess it's not worth a damn anymore so I shredded it.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
When I heard of his death, I went to my keepsake box and looked through it until I found a very important document. It was a coupon for one free visit to Dr. Kevorkian. Got it way back in Michigan when he was "in practice". Guess it's not worth a damn anymore so I shredded it.

Those coupons are going for thousands $$$ on ebay right now!

Or maybe not. But seriously, I would have checked before shredding it!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
He was definitely a hero in some respects but a nut job in others. Maybe it takes a bit of a nut to push for major change.
I pretty much have to agree with this one in all respects. He had little respect for the rule of law which can be a problem, and he was apparently willing to martyr himself for his beliefs, yet at the same time I don't know that anyone ever really questioned his motivations or his belief that if euthanizing pets to "eliminate suffering" was the ethical thing to do, why not people?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...I don't know that anyone ever really questioned his motivations or his belief that if euthanizing pets to "eliminate suffering" was the ethical thing to do, why not people?
I questioned this. Made the difficult decision to euthanize a beloved pet not so long ago to "elimate suffering" so he wouldn't go though another day of agony.

If I was in the same condition my kitty was in, I'd hope there would be a way to end it.