Jack Kevorkian

Agree 100% Purron. I think he was ahead of his time, and I hope history will look back on his life with respect.

I found this to be a very interesting read:

Jack Kevorkian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy risked a lot to stand up for what he believed in. I got the impression that even the judges that had to rule against him based on law, had much empathy for his cause.

RIP.

-ERD50

He raised some very good questions. I look at him as a hero. Hopefully, doctor assisted suicide will eventually be legalized in the US in every state.

It's kind of sad that we treat our pets better than we treat our fellow human beings when it comes to suffering and end of life issues.

He was definitely a hero in some respects but a nut job in others. Maybe it takes a bit of a nut to push for major change.

He did bring the issue to the forefront but IMO he pushed the envelope on some of his assisted suicides .

According to the article: "Kevorkian made us uncomfortable. Now he's gone. His lawyer says he died peacefully, in a hospital room, unassisted." This does not mean he did not practice what he preached, IMO, his thing is we should have the option. He might have had, but chose not to take it.

When I heard of his death, I went to my keepsake box and looked through it until I found a very important document. It was a coupon for one free visit to Dr. Kevorkian. Got it way back in Michigan when he was "in practice". Guess it's not worth a damn anymore so I shredded it.

When I heard of his death, I went to my keepsake box and looked through it until I found a very important document. It was a coupon for one free visit to Dr. Kevorkian. Got it way back in Michigan when he was "in practice". Guess it's not worth a damn anymore so I shredded it.
:eek:

Those coupons are going for thousands $$$ on ebay right now! :facepalm:

Or maybe not. But seriously, I would have checked before shredding it!

-ERD50

He was definitely a hero in some respects but a nut job in others. Maybe it takes a bit of a nut to push for major change.
I pretty much have to agree with this one in all respects. He had little respect for the rule of law which can be a problem, and he was apparently willing to martyr himself for his beliefs, yet at the same time I don't know that anyone ever really questioned his motivations or his belief that if euthanizing pets to "eliminate suffering" was the ethical thing to do, why not people?

...I don't know that anyone ever really questioned his motivations or his belief that if euthanizing pets to "eliminate suffering" was the ethical thing to do, why not people?

I questioned this. Made the difficult decision to euthanize a beloved pet not so long ago to "elimate suffering" so he wouldn't go though another day of agony.

If I was in the same condition my kitty was in, I'd hope there would be a way to end it.

Back
Top Bottom